IGNORED

New Korg products!!!! :O

TheBro

Physics is cool but why is it always a fucking ball bouncing off walls and not, like, water ripples, fluid dynamics, population growth, light refraction, etc. It's been bouncy balls for like 20 years now.

Edited by sweepstakes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Back around 2000 I could have gotten a fully working MiniKorg 700 for $180 at a shop but who would pay that much for a MiniKorg 700, right?  Especially a broke just-out-of-high-school kid. I remember it sounded pretty good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Back around 2000 I could have gotten a fully working MiniKorg 700 for $180 at a shop but who would pay that much for a MiniKorg 700, right?  Especially a broke just-out-of-high-school kid. I remember it sounded pretty good.

Yeap 2k seems totally crazy!!

1 hour ago, xox said:

Realistically it's in line with the original prices of this stuff, if the build quality is comparable then it's fair. If it's made by roots operated by child slaves like most modern gear then maybe it's a bit much.

I can't find the original US price of a MiniKorg, but the original UK price was the equivalent of £4,650 today, so relative to that the reissue is a bargain.

If

18 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Realistically it's in line with the original prices of this stuff, if the build quality is comparable then it's fair. If it's made by roots operated by child slaves like most modern gear then maybe it's a bit much.

I can't find the original US price of a MiniKorg, but the original UK price was the equivalent of £4,650 today, so relative to that the reissue is a bargain.

If

the minikorg was originally released as a budget synth tho, priced low relative to the synth market in the early 70s so that people could have a chance to try out a synth without breaking the bank. in today’s market $2k is not a reasonable price for a mono synth with these specs. 

it’s a badass synth but it’s priced to be a collectors item imo

• Like 1

It's definitely aiming at a different market now, but compared to the cost of living in the early 70s, at least in the USA, I still think it's more attainable.  For comparison, my parents lived in Boston in 1972 and their rent was under $40 a month.  Even without accounting for exchange rates and assuming the minikorg was $350 USD back then, that's about 8 months rent.  If you know of a US city where $2000 will cover 8 months rent today I want to know so I can move there.

It's still not worth it though.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

If you know of a US city where $2000 will cover 8 months rent today I want to know so I can move there.

https://cenla.craigslist.org/roo/d/los-angeles-master-bedroom-with-private/7263793954.html

idiots let it default to Los Angeles but as it states in the ad, it's central Louisiana, Alexandria area i'm sure (where i'm from). i'm sure there's plenty of other cities in the south where you can find prices like that, elsewhere too i imagine if you look hard enough.

edit: on topic, that keyboard model that Korg are using for the modwave, opsix, and wavestate is really ugly.

Edited by auxien

5 hours ago, xox said:

No idea why their Minikorg 700 reissue is so expensive. I think it'll only be for those synth collectors with big bucks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, auxien said:

https://cenla.craigslist.org/roo/d/los-angeles-master-bedroom-with-private/7263793954.html

idiots let it default to Los Angeles but as it states in the ad, it's central Louisiana, Alexandria area i'm sure (where i'm from). i'm sure there's plenty of other cities in the south where you can find prices like that, elsewhere too i imagine if you look hard enough.

edit: on topic, that keyboard model that Korg are using for the modwave, opsix, and wavestate is really ugly.

That's a room, not an entire multibedroom apartment.  It wasn't that long ago you could find a room for under $400 in Boston or Brooklyn if you had 4 or 5 people sharing an apartment.

24 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

That's a room, not an entire multibedroom apartment.  It wasn't that long ago you could find a room for under $400 in Boston or Brooklyn if you had 4 or 5 people sharing an apartment.

lol yeah, it's not a mansion or a waterfront villa either. you never specified. ? 

53 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

yeah they gotta phase that out

they just started with it tho so i'm doubting that'll happen. ? maybe this is the last of the models tho! or maybe they'll just go ahead and offer them as desktop versions like they should've done since day one of the first one.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, auxien said:

lol yeah, it's not a mansion or a waterfront villa either. you never specified. ?

Fair enough, I didn't even think of it.  The sub-$40 was for a whole floor of a brownstone in what's now one of the most expensive neighborhoods in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Anyway, too far off topic at this point.

The modwave sounds delicious. I *just* got one of the new MS20 reissues today though, so I think I'm gonna be forced to hold off for a while ? 

Edited by modey

12 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

Fair enough, I didn't even think of it.  The sub-$40 was for a whole floor of a brownstone in what's now one of the most expensive neighborhoods in one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Anyway, too far off topic at this point.

Back in 2011 when I first joined this forum, my wife and I lived in the basement of a forest house in Ohio for $400 a month, all bills paid. That’s also right around the time korg started releasing new stuff. My monotron is still sitting on my desk. 

5 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

Back in 2011 when I first joined this forum, my wife and I lived in the basement of a forest house in Ohio for $400 a month, all bills paid. That’s also right around the time korg started releasing new stuff. My monotron is still sitting on my desk. 

Yeah, back then it was possible, rents have gone crazy over the last decade.  When I left Boston in 2009 I was making about $12k a year and I was able to live pretty comfortably (and that was back when rent and cost of living was higher still in Boston than it was in NYC - the only US city more expensiv ethan Boston in the 2000s was San Francisco).  When I moved back briefly in 2010 it cost me $1000 a month rent to live in somebody's living room on the edge of the projects in Mission Hill and we were getting below-market rent even then.  Today it's just not even worth thinking about.

2 hours ago, Valleyfold said:

Korg drumlogue - Analog/Digital Groovebox

Not much info yet but sounds sweet. 

So an ER-1 / Volca Drum that they’ve managed to squeeze some analog parts into.

Nice.

yeah that drumlogue has me very intrigued. could be a very cool drum machine.

but holding off getting too hopeful about it. could very well turn out to be underpowered and hobbled and weak sounding.

1 minute ago, auxien said:

but holding off getting too hopeful about it. could very well turn out to be underpowered and hobbled and weak sounding.

That's my concern. With the analog stuff, it will likely take away from the number of digital voices they offer in the Volca Drum. I'd far prefer the focus on the digital side than analog.

6 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

That's my concern. With the analog stuff, it will likely take away from the number of digital voices they offer in the Volca Drum. I'd far prefer the focus on the digital side than analog.

is that one very good? i remember initially not being very impressed by what i heard and am mostly turned off from the volca stuff just given how teensy it is (only have a volca kick which came as part of a package) so i never looked more into it, despite being pretty interested in digital drum machines over the last year. how many voices is on there?

also relevant is the volca kick fuckin' thumps but if this drumlogue doesn't have an analog filter (nothing i've seen states it, so probably not likely...) then it may not follow in that respect, necessarily.

20 minutes ago, auxien said:

is that one very good? i remember initially not being very impressed by what i heard and am mostly turned off from the volca stuff just given how teensy it is (only have a volca kick which came as part of a package) so i never looked more into it, despite being pretty interested in digital drum machines over the last year. how many voices is on there?

also relevant is the volca kick fuckin' thumps but if this drumlogue doesn't have an analog filter (nothing i've seen states it, so probably not likely...) then it may not follow in that respect, necessarily.

The Volca Drum is essentially an updated ER-1 in a smaller box, som yes, it’s good