IGNORED

New Korg products!!!! :O

TheBro

35 minutes ago, auxien said:

is that one very good? i remember initially not being very impressed by what i heard and am mostly turned off from the volca stuff just given how teensy it is (only have a volca kick which came as part of a package) so i never looked more into it, despite being pretty interested in digital drum machines over the last year. how many voices is on there?

also relevant is the volca kick fuckin' thumps but if this drumlogue doesn't have an analog filter (nothing i've seen states it, so probably not likely...) then it may not follow in that respect, necessarily.

Volca Drum is 6 independent stereo engines (so 12 voices total in 6 independent engines). Each engine has 2 independent layers. Each layer has 3 options for source oscillator, mod and envelope generator, and any combo between. On top of that, layers have several other edit options (drive, bitrate, pan, etc.). Then there's a pretty cool waveguide resonator effect that you can send each of the 6 engines to (like a mixer send channel). 

My only gripes about it are a) only one output, b) not enough MIDI control so some menu diving is needed

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, sweepstakes said:

CDM got it right - the plugins are the interesting part.

Give it another 5-10 years and people are going to be bored to tears with step sequencers too.

who wants to start an electronic instrument company with me that makes boxes designed for plugin-type solutions.

btw i have zero business, manufacturing, software, or marketing experience, so everyone else is gonna have to do all the work. split 50/50 tho so that’s fair (50% me, 50% divvied up between everyone else)

24 minutes ago, Taupe Beats said:

Volca Drum is 6 independent stereo engines (so 12 voices total in 6 independent engines). Each engine has 2 independent layers. Each layer has 3 options for source oscillator, mod and envelope generator, and any combo between. On top of that, layers have several other edit options (drive, bitrate, pan, etc.). Then there's a pretty cool waveguide resonator effect that you can send each of the 6 engines to (like a mixer send channel). 

My only gripes about it are a) only one output, b) not enough MIDI control so some menu diving is needed

thanks, that does sound interesting. gonna have to hunt up some videos to find some good sounds out of it. a bit like a drum machine i’d sorta conceptualized a few years back, i think drum machines going forward have a lot of potential but everyone is still seemingly stuck on 808/909 or gtfo.

1 hour ago, rhmilo said:

The Volca Drum is essentially an updated ER-1 in a smaller box, som yes, it’s good

idk what that is, will have to hunt that up as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, auxien said:

Korg ER-1

idk what that is, will have to hunt that up as well. 

If you have an iPad, get the Korg Electribe app. The device being digital, it's almost as good as the real thing (and since the knobs weren't all that precise anyway, probably just as good).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

If you have an iPad, get the Korg Electribe app. The device being digital, it's almost as good as the real thing (and since the knobs weren't all that precise anyway, probably just as good).

ew, no. iPad app? for making music? i’ve tried that multiple times. no thanks. 

heard good about the Electribes and i’d considered some of the old ones years ago but not for me. if the drumlogue is carrying some past lessons from them tho that could be good for sure

1 hour ago, Valleyfold said:

Based on this picture it might only have four analog voices, two of which are toms, which sounds a little lame... Still looking forward to see more, and the digital side is what I'm really interested in. 

4AF073F2-2CDC-44A7-B8DA-50914A529C21.jpeg

That's a nice looking drum machine!!!

51 minutes ago, auxien said:

thanks, that does sound interesting. gonna have to hunt up some videos to find some good sounds out of it. a bit like a drum machine i’d sorta conceptualized a few years back, i think drum machines going forward have a lot of potential but everyone is still seemingly stuck on 808/909 or gtfo.

btw I also wanted to 2nd your compliments for the Volca Kick. I love that thing and along with giving a very wide range of great sounding bass drum tones, it also is a) the greatest laser drum creator I've ever heard and its not even close, b) Fun as hell to get wacky asymmetrical stuff by using the touch fx. As well, the sustain on that thing has a power that's unique and hard to explain. Just running a sustained tone out of it into like a spring reverb and messing with the pitch = lovely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

heard good about the Electribes and i’d considered some of the old ones years ago but not for me. if the drumlogue is carrying some past lessons from them tho that could be good for sure

Yeah the ipad is difficult for making music - I can contest to that. I've made many tunes using the ipad though but yeah in itself without any knobs to use or a proper keyboard its a pain!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

btw I also wanted to 2nd your compliments for the Volca Kick. I love that thing and along with giving a very wide range of great sounding bass drum tones, it also is a) the greatest laser drum creator I've ever heard and its not even close, b) Fun as hell to get wacky asymmetrical stuff by using the touch fx. As well, the sustain on that thing has a power that's unique and hard to explain. Just running a sustained tone out of it into like a spring reverb and messing with the pitch = lovely.

haha yes, it's a hell of a little soundmaker, rarely use it because of how fiddly it is, but i've definitely used it for sustained/high-tempo sorta sounds into delays/reverbs. super thick just pumping that through a couple layers of effects. definitely wish it was a little more complex with modulation of some sort, but i think there may be some ways to trick it into getting some with some external CC feeding it (haven't tried tho). all that said i might end up dropping it if the drumlogue catches my ear once it's out. 

i got it with the monologue, Korg were running a package deal a couple years ago where the kick was basically a free add....they definitely do work well together, but even wanting a more 'minimal' sound, i find it hard to do much with just the two together....getting the kick to be anything more complex is difficult but i may try and limit myself to those (and another little thing i've just got...) and see what happens ? constraints breed creativity. sometimes. lol

26 minutes ago, TheBro said:

Yeah the ipad is difficult for making music - I can contest to that. I've made many tunes using the ipad though but yeah in itself without any knobs to use or a proper keyboard its a pain!

yeah, not knocking anyone who can do it! i loved the Patterning drum app and there was a synth app or two that were pretty interesting, but just very tricky to get anything going and really do more than just play around. it is fun for that tho, no doubt. interesting platform for creating music, just not for me for the reasons you stated

12 hours ago, auxien said:

To each his own, of course, but I meant it more in the sense that you could try it out for cheap before committing to buying a device.

BTW, over on MW someone carefully examined the released photograph and observed it has 4 analog channels specificially set up for toms and kicks and 2 digital ones (as well as sampled hi-hats and cymbals) this thing might be more like a Volca Beats with half of an ER-1 / Volca Drums.

Which to me is ... not as interesting.

18 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

To each his own, of course, but I meant it more in the sense that you could try it out for cheap before committing to buying a device.

BTW, over on MW someone carefully examined the released photograph and observed it has 4 analog channels specificially set up for toms and kicks and 2 digital ones (as well as sampled hi-hats and cymbals) this thing might be more like a Volca Beats with half of an ER-1 / Volca Drums.

Which to me is ... not as interesting.

i got ya, yeah just not into the Electribes i guess

4 analog voices, 6 digital (2 of which are sample specific). 3 multi (VPM, NOISE, USER) which are supposedly the same as on the minilogue xd or something? idk the architecture of that that. then some effects. just depends on the internal structure of how the voices are routed, combined, etc when used. 

the menu has four dedicated unlabeled knobs which to me says there's going to be plenty of menu diving options, so it could be a lot more interesting than just what you're seeing on the faceplate.

still supposedly in development tho so who knows if things will change.

15 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

CDM got it right - the plugins are the interesting part.

Give it another 5-10 years and people are going to be bored to tears with step sequencers too.

Im bored to tears already with everything! For the last week or two I’ve been trying to find something interesting enough, to spend 1000-1500 euros on gear but I can’t find nothing better than I already have so i guess ill just spent it on slutz instead :emotawesomepm9:

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, xox said:

Im bored to tears already with everything! For the last week or two I’ve been trying to find something interesting enough, to spend 1000-1500 euros on gear but I can’t find nothing better than I already have so i guess ill just spent it on slutz instead :emotawesomepm9:

Not being interested in buying new things is the best, though. 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Lol iPad is some fertile ground for making music. The only difficulty is limiting yourself. There are so many great options, but a good starting point is just get korg gadget and go off.

ive made tracks that have turned into music distributed by rubadub on the iPad.

beatmaker 2 is my fav all time app, followed by maybe korg gadget. I’ve been into iOS music making for probably 10+ years though, because I had an iPhone before I had any gear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sheatheman said:

Lol iPad is some fertile ground for making music. The only difficulty is limiting yourself. There are so many great options, but a good starting point is just get korg gadget and go off.

ive made tracks that have turned into music distributed by rubadub on the iPad.

beatmaker 2 is my fav all time app, followed by maybe korg gadget. I’ve been into iOS music making for probably 10+ years though, because I had an iPhone before I had any gear.

Good stuff. BM2 is a great app. I'm using BM3 at the moment. Made this little techno jam on it actually!

The Bro - 2am Vibes (demo) by The Bro | Free Listening on SoundCloud