IGNORED

Children’s literature/movies/tv programs/music

Extralife

Oh ! nice thread. big up to all watmm dads !!!

I have two girls. 4 years old and 8 month old.

I'll start with  music for bedtime / naptime / background (I enjoy a lot taking care of the selection for them:)

BRIAN ENO (many of them), ERIK SATIE, CAMILLE SAINT SAENS, some classical wood / flutes orchestra, PLASTIKMAN "consumed",   ATOM TM " cold memories", a compilation of TRADITIONAL AFRICAN LULLABIES and other tradtitionals from easter europe and asia, KREIDLER "weekend", POLE "3", some  AUTECHRE (softer ones from early albums / eps, altough some recent ones do well, i.e. column thirteen, freulaeux, pendulu casual, shimripl air....), APHEX TWIN "s.a.w vol.2" (some would think some tracks could be too dark and spooky for children, but this album actually never get my babies afraid or crying or whatever. though they've been used to it since their very first days on earth ?

music for dancing / party etc : my 4 year old enjoy a lot DEVO, BURNING HEADS, NIRVANA, BAUHAUS, PUBIL ENNEMY, some old school acid house / techno,and some french underground punk bands from her mother's collection...

books : shitloads. very important for us.  .I should make a separate reply to list some I recommend. (will be moslty french writers / illustrators tough, might not be really relevant in here, dunno

movies : I have a weak movies / cartoon culture.  yet : the old "thunderbirds" series is awesome. all the Hayao Miyazaki movies ar great. "les monieurs madames" ("mr men & little miss") does well. "miru miru" does well. "les shadocks" does well.  tbh my wife does better for finding good stuff for 4 yeras old kids. 

disney stuff like "bambi" tend to frighten her. I tried "goldorack" for fun, coz she asked for robots, but she seems a bit too young ? on the other hand she enjoyed "albator" ... but lately she's more asking for "paw patrol" because tha'st what her schoolfriend are currently watching

talking about this, I'd like to focus on a thing : Me and my wife are pretty amazed to see some people around us get the easy way to put their child in front of a screen many hours a day, while we put effort in spending time playing or reading with them as much as we can instead of just put them behind a screen an let it go as long as they don't make noise, no matter if goes for hours.  I really think this is bad. of course I'm aware that some of us could have no choice with this due to professional or social or familial context and just strigle to have time to do essentials thing for them so cartoons can help focusing the kids when you really need it. but for some people it's just an easy  way out to some calm. I guess this will be discussed here. anyway I'm quite proud to manage to let my 4 year old only 1 or 2 hours of "passive" screenwatch per week. I'm talking about kids under 6/7 old, of course when they grow we will allow more time, it's ok spending more time on movies / cartoons etc when you're 10 years old. but for example, when we're some adults together and there is a kid with us, some would directly put their child on the IPOD so as their kid "won't disturb the adults talking" . while we would just keep our kid with us, talking with us, and we would just relay each other to play with the kids if they get bored listening and talking with us. yes it takes a lot of time, a bit of a personal sacrifice, but I can tell you it's very rewarding (for you as for the kids) as a result. better talking, better social integration, better managing of their fears, better understanding of what will be their adlut life, and so... well I guess  you see what i'm talking about. and of course, though if we wanna have some real adult time we would bring them to grandma for the weekend (luckily, we still have our mamas alive and able)

(I'm not blaming anyone who let child have lots of time on screen, just whant to share my experience about it)

and I'm willing to have your suggestion for good music / movies for childern !

Edited by neurone
  • Like 2

I loved installing loads of obscure japanese PS1/PSP racing games on my PSTV for my friend's 11 y/o car-obsessed son. Wanted to give it to him on christmas but his mum pulled a last-minute no thank you which bummed me out a bit, installed a custom easy GUI for him and got all the ROMs in german for the little guy.

I guess showing them things about their interests is an easy one. One kid I worked with was obsessed with astronauts, she knew loads about Russian spaceflight surprisingly, so every time I saw her I tried to tell her some cool space fact. She ended up lecturing me eventually which was hilarious, 7/8 year old telling me stories of astronauts, distance between earth and Jupiter out of nowhere. I drew her in an astronaut suit sitting on a planet named after her once, she liked it so much she cut it out and put it in her pencil case so she could look at it every day ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Both my kids really enjoy The Beastie Boys except the five year old became a bit fixated on MCA dying and was concerned that Ad rock and Mike D were still friends and if they kept talking to eachother ...

Both of them are big fans of Mr Oizo... Flat Beat almost killed me.

It's funny how at such a young age their association skills start kicking in . If I am playing Sunn or Fantomas they will say it's Halloween music

What do they think about your WATMM avatar?

Some really great replies/recommendations here.

I have six and eight year old girls. Lately we’ve been viewing/reading:

Hilda graphic novels + the Netflix series. Such an excellent, empowering series for young girls.

https://lukepearson.com/hilda

Also really loved the Wolfwalker movie on Apple TV+. Made by the people who did Song of the Sea and Secret of Kells (also great films).

They like most of the oddball IDM I play them - especially Nuron lately. 

There is also this Korean animated show that popped up on Netflix, called Running Man. I guess it’s based on an actual battle royal game show, but the cartoon is really fun and well written. Does a great job of growing the characters throughout the season.

Of course Miyazaki films as well but I’ve had to be careful - Princess Mononoke was way too intense for them lol.

Edited by Extralife

2 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Some really great replies/recommendations here.

I have six and eight year old girls. Lately we’ve been viewing/reading:

Hilda graphic novels + the Netflix series. Such an excellent, empowering series for young girls.

https://lukepearson.com/hilda

Also really loved the Wolfwalker movie on Apple TV+. Made by the people who did Song of the Sea and Secret of Kells (also great films).

They like most of the oddball IDM I play them - especially Nuron lately. 

There is also this Korean animated show that popped up on Netflix, called Running Man. I guess it’s based on an actual battle royals game show, but the cartoon is really fun and well written. Does a great job of growing the characters throughout the season.

Oh man, please look into Samorost. Just came to mind and it's a lovely little point and click/puzzle game, if your daughters are into nature at all I'm sure they'd love it ? Would be fun to play together I'm sure!

maxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chronical said:

Oh man, please look into Samorost. Just came to mind and it's a lovely little point and click/puzzle game, if your daughters are into nature at all I'm sure they'd love it ? Would be fun to play together I'm sure!

Thanks man. That looks great.

37 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Both of them are big fans of Mr Oizo... Flat Beat almost killed me.

oh yeah ! This ! kids loves Flat Beat videoclip. so does mum & dad (awesome track btw)

22 minutes ago, chronical said:

cool thanks, looks very nice

39 minutes ago, Extralife said:

had to be careful - Princess Mononoke was way too intense for them lol.

yeah right... have to sort Myasaki's movies so as to match with kid's age. also, 1 hour movie is a bit long for a 4 year old. but I guess "my neighbour totoro" at 6 years old it's ok

Edited by neurone

a classic in here, will do great for 5 to 10 years old (and probably older !)

english version, dubbing looks good, characters has the exact same voice sound than the french original

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oh also this : "The King And The Mockingbird". relly great.

(you won't find a free version on youtube but here's a trailer)

I purshased it actually, so If someone wants it, I could share it , PM me.  I guess it's more for at least 6 years old minimum

Edited by neurone

39 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

The new Transformers on Netflix is pretty cool 

hehe, will check it out.   ... not yet for my kids, but for myself ! :tongue:

Edited by neurone

16 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Both my kids really enjoy The Beastie Boys except the five year old became a bit fixated on MCA dying and was concerned that Ad rock and Mike D were still friends and if they kept talking to eachother ...

ha, my son went through a License to Ill phase when he was like 4. that sorta gave me a newfound appreciation for it, trying to approach that album through kid lenses. their voices are very cartoon character like when you think about it. and the simplistic, booming 808 beats do their job in getting the energy level up, which is great when one of your top priorities is to bounce around the room at full speed.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 12:26 AM, neurone said:

a classic in here, will do great for 5 to 10 years old (and probably older !)

english version, dubbing looks good, characters has the exact same voice sound than the french original

How dare you post the cartoon versions when there's a version with Monica Belucci around.

• Haha 1

On 1/27/2021 at 10:45 PM, chronical said:

Oh man, please look into Samorost. Just came to mind and it's a lovely little point and click/puzzle game, if your daughters are into nature at all I'm sure they'd love it <span><span style=?"> Would be fun to play together I'm sure!

loved it... same developers have some more fun games...

this one is fun af...

Edited by Tim_J

12 hours ago, rhmilo said:

How dare you post the cartoon versions when there's a version with Monica Belucci around.

hahaha ! well , I did'nt watch that movie version yet .(meaning : with real actors, not cartoon, I guess you were talking about that).

I'm afraid this would be vulgaire and bit dumbstyle, idk... like, more for adults looking for easy entertainement... no more magic...

I've been told it's quite ok, though...

edit : .... well i might go and see what monica b. looks like in it....:emb:

Edited by neurone

9 hours ago, Tim_J said:

tom is playing in the bg...

Was just going to post this exact thing. Equally suitable for little ones and big people who just need to chill out for an hour

Game wise this is definitely kid suitable - 

• Like 1

Also the Beatles like Abbey Road and Sgt Peppers. Haven’t got into the white album yet.  Abbey Road is amazing though, kids love that to bits and it’s such a fucking fantastic album anyways. 

10 hours ago, neurone said:

hahaha ! well , I did'nt watch that movie version yet .(meaning : with real actors, not cartoon, I guess you were talking about that).

I'm afraid this would be vulgaire and bit dumbstyle, idk... like, more for adults looking for easy entertainement... no more magic...

I've been told it's quite ok, though...

edit : .... well i might go and see what monica b. looks like in it....:emb:

Nah, it was actually quite good. Would’ve been entertaining without Monica Belucci as well.

• Like 1