IGNORED

RIP Salvatorin

hello spiral

What do you guys think about the idea of more.. outbursting individuals having to carry the spiritual weight of humanity as a whole?

It seems like a great deal of artists in any medium are more emotionally invested in the world, maybe to reach some kind of utopian state this planet needs certain individuals to process the hivemind trauma to some extent.. been talking about this with friends for a bit, and it does seem kind of egoistic to think it's real, who knows, maybe kardashians  smile at sunsets too in the way salv might have. sorry drunk rant , much love watmm. 

• Like 3
  • Burger 2

Man, hard to find the right words here. I never did get to meet Salv IRL, but like some others have stated in this thread, it took his passing for me to really recognize his influence on my life; waking up to this news earlier this week hit me pretty hard. I've been reading Douglas Hofstadter's "I Am A Strange Loop" over the last few weeks, and the latter half of the book focuses on the way in which we continue to live on in each other's minds after our death. It was an odd blessing to be reading this book when Phil left us. He obviously left a deep impression on many of us, and I am grateful that we got to know him, if only virtually. His family and friends may never know the extent to which his thoughts and musings influenced this diverse group, all across the globe. It is deeply moving to see the sincere gratitude this community has expressed for his existence.

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 11

His death hit me harder than I thought it would. He was one of the most interesting fellow artists I've met and insanely talented. I never knew he played in a full orchestra until I read his obituary and saw his youtube videos. We were just making initial plans of hanging out in Fairbanks after the pandemic was over. :(

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If he graduated from UAF in 2019, then I'm pretty sure I was at that same ceremony. I was there for my mom's doctoral graduation. I could literally have been in the same building as Philip and never would have known.

• Like 1

Damn. I never knew the guy personally but I know he contributed a fuck ton to this community and seemed like a pretty cool dude. My condolences to his friends and family. RIP

Edited by Frank Poole

On 2/6/2021 at 7:28 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Watmm Salvatorin tribute comp would be pretty awesome.  Just sayin'.

I recorded a track over the weekend, inspired by personal feelings over Salvatorin's passing and drug / substance abuse in general.

It is about 13 minutes long and is a strange interplay between ambience and noise - recorded live. I will stick it on soundcloud for all to hear unless a compilation is being considered and I can submit it there for consideration.  Love to all.

*edit*

Link is here if anybody wishes to listen.  I had strong feels making this track.
Spoiler

Edited by Soloman Tump
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been checking out Salvatorin's soundcloud since the news of his passing and I have to say he had exceptional skills when it came to music; not only electronic music but other genres as well. One of a kind.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

I recorded a track over the weekend, inspired by personal feelings over Salvatorin's passing and drug / substance abuse in general.

It is about 13 minutes long and is a strange interplay between ambience and noise - recorded live. I will stick it on soundcloud for all to hear unless a compilation is being considered and I can submit it there for consideration.  Love to all.

*edit*

Link is here if anybody wishes to listen.  I had strong feels making this track.
  Hide contents

nice. reminds me strongly of Final.

Came here to lament some.. I post occasionally but have lurked watmm for over a decade. Salvatorin was always a distinctive, consistent contributor here and I know he will be missed. I lost a cousin a year ago from overdose and even though I didn't know him very well, it still had an impact on me.

And Sophie also.. I felt that she had so much more to offer from her unique perspective and was both angry and saddened about the news of her passing. That autechre remix was a great take on her style of pop.

Rest peacefully and safe travels.  ? 

The memorial was beautiful... hit hard. Some videos of his live performances and electronic music, a lot of amazing pictures and his family and friends shared memories. People are still sharing their memories now as the memorial wraps up - he really impacted a ton of people especially in the music community... Truly gut wrenching. 

Insanely talented and very humble young man gone far too soon. A wonderful contributor to this community.

I’ll never forget the late night chats on all kinds of crazy subjects, or weird and fun video calls so long ago when I just joined this community. 

Him, his friends, and family will all be in my thoughts.

RIP salv...

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 12

^ +1, seeing all the memories and tributes was moving. I put off work for 2 hours on the busiest day of the month cos I didn't want to leave. I'll be thinking about him for a while. wish we could've met in person. @dr lopez spoke good in the call on behalf of us online fools, thanks m8. there will be a physical memorial and there was also talk of creating a youth musical program in his honour, which would be amazing. sounded like there will be more details forthcoming on how we can contribute.

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Choked I missed the memorial!  Is there footage somewhere?  (Unlikely I know...)

It was recorded zeph no worries... salvs brother announced that at the beginning of the memorial, he was cognizant that salv had a network crossing intl boundaries and time zones etc and said everything would be recorded ?

• Thanks 1

I think it will be, soon. I only found out about the zoom event through backchannels and I debated posting the link here but thought it'd be prudent to check it that was ok first, just didn't reach out to the organisers in time. then again it was a public fb event so it probably would've been ok anyway. sorry, y'all. it wasn't a "cool ppl only" thing.

• Like 3

thanks guys - got choked up at the end there so im sure i was just saying words. didn't prepare anything just tried to say what I felt. broke down at valentines dinner with the gf after the service lol. seeing phil go down that waterfall with his great music playing... oh man. got me good ?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1