IGNORED

What Ae era was your favourite?

cern

So nice answers!

I see a really good "breakthru" with Chiastic Slide - Cichlisuite - LP5  That is their 97-98 era and their sound evolved so much. 

I have to listen to these 3 releases again tomorrow because here is really intresting.. When you have listen to their previous releases before CS and you sit down and open up CS with opening track Cipater it is like totally different from everything else. 

It was a big "unfair" but intresting voting on Facebook Autechre group when track VS track pool was going on and I think Rae stole that show. 
I kind of get that because that track is one of the most representing Autechre track or "sound" as it could be. 

This is just me digging deep in Autechre's work and Im happy to hear your thoughts! 

:music:

Confield, Draft 7.30, and Untilted is a special arc for me, and I know i've repeated this elsewhere. That said, I tend to listen to Elseq, NTS, AE_LIVE, Onesix the most these days.

• Like 2

Probably my favorite AE era was the early 2040's when they decided to do a series of "retirement" live shows online only to announce at the end that Rob had perfected the brain/computer interface he developed in conjunction with Tesla/Elon Musk's son.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Burger 4

4 hours ago, ambermonke said:

This is a tough one.

If I had to pick one year, I'd say 1997. Envane, Chiastic Slide, and Cichlisuite were all released that year. I hate to use the term paradigm shift because it sounds pretentious and cliché, but in these releases it's evident that this point in time marked an evolutionary step in their career. At this point they go beyond merely changing up loop layers throughout tracks and take a more "surgical" approach in their sequencing. It's the point in time where precision editing really begins to manifest, and would carry on indefinitely from that point onward.

(Hope that made sense)

This is a really good point. Personally I wouldn't say it's my favourite era (not crazy about Envane/Chiastic, at least not enough to put them near the top) but it is definitely an important turning point. 

Can't pick a favourite although I agree that the first couple albums rarely get any play. I first bought Incunabula and then LP5, and LP5 blew my mind. EP7 and Confield are also legendary. That's subjective because those were my "coming of age" Ae albums lol. So I guess if I had to pick I'd say LP5 thru Draft. I'd even include Cichlisuite because it bridges the chunky, rough-edged Chiastic sound to the glossy elastic sound of LP5/EP5 so I would consider it more a part of the latter group. 

To be fair I don't actually listen to those ones much anymore tho. Passing of time and all that. So the picking of a favourite is kind of an honourary title more than anything. Unlike most of the other subforum artists I don't feel like that era was their peak. Everything Ae have done since then has been mind blowing. Whatever is newest gets the most play naturally. That said, I'm still working on Elseq onwards because there's so much to dive into. 

Edited by toaoaoad

ha ! would be more easy (or say, relevant)  for me to pick "fav albums" rather tha "fav era". I discovered ae in 1999, to put in context.

would shift over times obviously, and it's very subjective ,but i guess that's the subjective point of view from everyone that you're asking for.

"untilted" might be the one wich would keep on top favs while time goes. for many  reason I won't talk about (too long)

yeah ok untilted / quaristice (+ related livesets) if I really had to chose a specific era.

adding chiastic, LP5 and exai If i had to choose within a larger scale of selection.

5 hours ago, amad said:

Then Exai for me is a sort of bringing all of it together,very rich and dense sound-wise, rhythm-wise, sort of a all-arounder.

yeah same feeling here. tought it still have it's own particular overall ambience, so can't sum up the whole thing (well obviously nothing would sum them up, as long as they've been doing so many things) but exai is a big thing.

and well yeah more to this,  like many of you, some fav tracks of mine are  in elseq / nts sessions

and well yeah, amber / garbage ep / tri rep has some fav ambient tracks of mine.

so.., yeah ...it's hard to narrow it to a particular era / album

yeah, yeah ,yeah then, well ....yeah  twisting-mind-ae-threads  :emotawesomepm9:

........edit : did I also mention confield ? and move of ten ?  ....... errr ...how dare I think I would awnser to this in a concise way ? I failed. hahahah

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nikisoko said:

LP5 to gantz graf was a fuckin' run. 

This is basically my opinion

I might slightly extend it to include the cichlisuite EP 

That run of Chichlisuite -> LP5 -> EP7 -> PeelSession2(for Gelk!!!) -> Confield -> Gantz Graf   
*Chef's Kiss*
spacer.png

There are some of their other albums I might put above LP5, and some other releases I'd rank above PeelSession2 as a whole. 
But I just find that stretch of time to be the absolute crystallization of everything they are best at, being executed with such perfection

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fizzkinz said:

This is basically my opinion

I might slightly extend it to include the cichlisuite EP 

That run of Chichlisuite -> LP5 -> EP7 -> PeelSession2(for Gelk!!!) -> Confield -> Gantz Graf  

yeh excluding Chichlisuite was purely accidental

If I had to pick one Ae record it would be Amber, but I'm glad I don't have to pick.

For a while now their music has been something I admire more than enjoy but I do like the direction they took on Sign. I'd be happier if they dialed back the harsh FM sounds.

• Like 2

Yeah the run from 98-03 is the most exciting chunk of their discography to me, with every release representing such a huge shift in their sound. I have a lot of nostalgia associated with that era, 2002/3 was when I was first getting into them and those albums (Confield in particular) were extremely special to me in my high school years.

But I'd also agree the most recent decade has been amazing. It's staggering just how much great original music they've been able to release in the span of a few years. And in terms of sound design they just keep getting better.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, eczem said:

Confield, Draft 7.30, and Untilted is a special arc for me, and I know i've repeated this elsewhere. That said, I tend to listen to Elseq, NTS, AE_LIVE, Onesix the most these days.

Yeah aside from Amber I'm partial to those too. Untilted especially was an exciting step forward.

too hard to answer definitively. if you're asking about an "era" i.e. more than a single album, I'd also have to +1 for Confield-Draft-Untilted on the collective strength of that run, but my favourite release of theirs pre-Exai is still EP7. Exai is still my favourite overall. and in spite of all that, the current era from Elseq onwards is too exciting and promising to weigh up fully in retrospect yet.

• Like 4

in all honesty, the only two eras of ae i'm truly familar with are incunabula to chiastic slide and quaristice to now. i've not heard everything in the middle, at least not to the extent of what came before and after. seems like i'm severely missing out based on the responses in this thread though.

but... from what i have heard, i prefer the more recent output. if you want specifics, exai to nts is a fucking mighty run.

1 minute ago, usagi said:

dawg, at least check out Untilted. that's unmissable.

oh i will, for sure.

i always wish i made my way through their whole discography in chronological order to fully experience the progression, but the newer stuff is what really got me into them, and what inevitably made me appreciate the early stuff more.

21 hours ago, neurone said:

untilted / quaristice (+ related livesets) if I really had to chose a specific era.

This 

(i mean, subrange 6-36)

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

in all honesty, the only two eras of ae i'm truly familar with are incunabula to chiastic slide and quaristice to now. i've not heard everything in the middle, at least not to the extent of what came before and after. seems like i'm severely missing out based on the responses in this thread though.

Yes 

• Like 1