IGNORED

What Ae era was your favourite?

cern

Note: 2015-2018 Live stuff have really punchy breaks getting more chill and pure experimental later on in Onesix. 

I think it was  good idea to release Sign and Plus afterwards because it's a combination of the both elements.. "Downtempo" and beats. 

It will be intresting to see what dirrection they may take next time. ? 

10 hours ago, ignatius said:

i reckon V5.x is going to be a great era. 

LoMhRDD.png

imagine if they made the final iteration of this big system available to the public before they retired/stopped for whatever reason. like through a web interface or something. I've had this fantasy in my mind for several years now.

Edited by usagi

If I would have to pick one sweet spot for Autechre that shape their entire career and how to get into their style of sound, abstraction and break beats I totally would say EP7.

Many can say Gantz Graf but in EP7 It already had elements of Gantz Graf and EP7 was released earlier. 

EP7 is also one of the most representive release for Warp Records and why i think that is because it has elements of Design and art like Warp ways for music and art. It has Hiphop elements and has a distinguish attitude with amazing synth lines and beats.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, cern said:

Many can say Gantz Graf but in EP7 It already had elements of Gantz Graf and EP7 was released earlier. 

You're right about the long span between EP7 and Gantz Graf release dates but Gantz Graf was recorded during the same time period as was mentioned in the AAA thread.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eclipsis said:

You're right about the long span between EP7 and Gantz Graf release dates but Gantz Graf was recorded during the same time period as was mentioned in the AAA thread.

Wow I didn't know that but it makes alot of sense!

By the way! Do you guys think it exist a studio version of this disco pumping bomb? 

• Like 2

Circle era. I.e. Oversteps & Move of Ten. I got into AE when they came out and I kept loving them for some reason. If I may include Quaristice I'd gladly do that.

QR-code era (Exai, L-Event) also very dope. All of it hits the spot for just intense & emotional enough without being too abstract.

• Like 1

I like individual tracks for different reasons, really. Picking an era doesn't really work for me since there's good and great (avoiding "hit or miss" since they all hit differently) stuff in every one.

Untilted is my favorite album from them, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

I like individual tracks for different reasons, really. Picking an era doesn't really work for me since there's good and great (avoiding "hit or miss" since they all hit differently) stuff in every one.

Untilted is my favorite album from them, though.

That is also a good way to do it! 

I can of course just put a track on because I like it so much and even have it on repeat.
But when I feel for really sit down and listen thru albums then I don't like to mix up tracks.
In this case I wanted to go thru everything and just see how their sound has evolving and it is intresting. 

If I wake up one day and feeling for blasting Untilted I'll go from that to the 2005 Glasgow and 08 IOS+Digit live tracks to Quaristice. 

:) 

• Like 1

Tie-ish between 1998-2003 & 2013-2018, personally

It's a bit difficult to know where exactly to envision boundaries or how to encapsulate certain periods, though, and I know there have been plenty discussions and differing opinions.

Like, with my above preferences, it seems odd to include LP5 and Draft in the same "era," but it totally makes sense to me that Confield and LP5 belong together, and Draft and Confield also definitely feel like part of the same "era" to me, so it's maybe problematically diverse but, in the end, checks out.

• Like 1

I was listening to Mouse on Mars and thinking about how great that time period around 98-02 was for music in general (and 'IDM' in particular). In addition to Ae you had some of the best ever material from Aphex and Squarepusher, BoC's Geogaddi, MoM's Niun Niggung and Idiology, Brothomstates' Claro, Amon Tobin's Supermodified, and so many more.. I'm sure my millennial nostalgia is a factor, but I do think it was really one of the most interesting eras in the history of electronic music.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Boxus said:

I was listening to Mouse on Mars and thinking about how great that time period around 98-02 was for music in general (and 'IDM' in particular). In addition to Ae you had some of the best ever material from Aphex and Squarepusher, BoC's Geogaddi, MoM's Niun Niggung and Idiology, Brothomstates' Claro, Amon Tobin's Supermodified, and so many more.. I'm sure my millennial nostalgia is a factor, but I do think it was really one of the most interesting eras in the history of electronic music.

Very much agree. supermodified and out from out where for Amon Tobin in that era. Plus Radiohead had Kid A. Golden era.

• Like 1

At the moment, I'd say the elseq / nts / ae_live is my favorite era. Something clicked with the NTS releases and opened up a new way of listening to them....if I would have been into them in the 90's my answer could be different but I was introduced to them when Confield came out. I do like the early stuff a lot and Cichlisuite is probably my favorite of the 90's, I just put that on the other day. Krib is so good. ♥

Edited by __f37d1-_
  • Like 2