IGNORED

The Samples: BOC Edition

hijexx

Fucking incredible, really solidifies how good they are at sampling, some of that chopping is just nuts.

Also, I guess this seals it, it's "from sand to stars" not "from sand to sky" or "just fantasize", or anything else.

• Like 2

More interested in the TH samples than any other album yet no exploration there? That album is dense with sample snippets of which the origins are probably much more obscure than we like to think.

• 2 weeks later...

whoa, that dub sample was new to me, I never looked into TCH's samples much

On 2/17/2021 at 9:22 AM, YELLOW said:

This video points out some good samples but it doesn't execute it very well. The video by sixtyniner on YouTube is much better IMO

man you were not kidding, some of backmasked examples are incredible

• Like 2

There has been a few cool ones found in the last few months too. 

This video recreates Roygbiv with a couple of Sesame Street samples from a lake timelapse segment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86ETKgISGVI&feature=youtu.be

This one is where the counting piece from A Is To B As B Is To C is from : https://youtu.be/DdGUyK4wyXA

The start of Energy Warning was found to come from here: https://youtu.be/UGrNQcPLwWE?t=3005

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Was meaning to ask about this. How do obscure and very warped samples like that actually get identified unless the artists disclose it? Some of those are so warped and buried that I honestly can't see a human nor AI correctly IDing the source unless tipped off by the producers. Anyone know how this is done?

Edited by spectoral

2 hours ago, spectoral said:

Was meaning to ask about this. How do obscure and very warped samples like that actually get identified unless the artists disclose it? Some of those are so warped and buried that I honestly can't see a human nor AI correctly IDing the source unless tipped off by the producers. Anyone know how this is done?

Boards fans are f'ing crazy.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, spectoral said:

One of the bro's' daytime job is writing code for Youtube that identifies warped and buried samples.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 3:34 AM, scumtron said:

I wonder how many of these samples are cleared with the original artists? I mean, if you sample Sesame Street or Hair OST, I guess you can get into some trouble.

Sesame Street is largely public funded and has cranked out literally thousands of episodes, I feel like they wouldn't have the financial incentive to pursue a band like Boards of Canada. Hair OST is an interesting one, but with musical soundtracks there are often multiple recordings and versions of the same music. I forget which one they sampled but it's also a bassline/drum break and those tend to slide by a bit more. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 2:20 PM, joshuatxuk said:

Hair OST is an interesting one, but with musical soundtracks there are often multiple recordings and versions of the same music. I forget which one they sampled but it's also a bassline/drum break and those tend to slide by a bit more. 

The Hair sample was just for the original version (on the Aquarius 7'') and IIRC they boys re-created the sample for later releases (e.g. on the album) possibly due to these copyright issues:

Tricky to directly compare as the pitches are slightly different. But listen to 0.54 of the first Youtube link (original version) and compare with 0.23 of the second link (recreated)

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

• 6 months later...