What's the Longest Track You've Ever Made?

I released a 30 minute track last year but it was basically a mixtape of 7 shorter tracks spliced together.  Like what Burial does.

This'n - Think the original [not mixed into an album] version added a few more minutes either side and IIRC was going to be a collab release with someone (Fluorescent Gray or perhaps Mosca .... I can't remember now!)

https://cubus.bandcamp.com/track/buddha-loop-7

It's about 10 minutes too long, definitely needs a big ol chop somewhere in the middle

On 2/10/2021 at 1:32 AM, eczem said:

I had no idea there was a max file size for an individual file. Do you know if that's still the case ?

EDIT: Helps if I read further down, I guess not !

• Like 3

I've made some infinitely tracks although I didn't record all of it 😛

Got a 54 minute jam I did for a podcast but to be fair it could be split up into sections and then you'd just call it an album (here).

37 minutes ago, TheBro said:

If I get to 5 minutes then I'm doing well ha ha.

Yes same here, besides long improv/generative things if I'm really writing a structured track it almost never turns out longer than 5-8 minutes maybe, and often just 2 or so.

Edited by th555
30 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

I had no idea there was a max file size for an individual file. Do you know if that's still the case ?

Bandcamp = "It starts out at 291MB per track, which is of course the exact size of “Inamorata and Narration by Conrad Roberts” from side 4 of Miles Davis’ Live-Evil (assuming we’re talking 16/44.1, which we always are). Once you’ve made a few sales through Bandcamp (totaling $20 USD or more), we increase the max per-track upload size to 600 megs. There is no limit on the size of albums."

• Thanks 1

I wanted to make an album out of the many recordings I had accumulated and decided they sounded better mixed into a collage.  It's the only time I've been able to pull that off in a way that feels cohesive.  Most people don't like this album, but I do.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, drillkicker said:

I wanted to make an album out of the many recordings I had accumulated and decided they sounded better mixed into a collage.  It's the only time I've been able to pull that off in a way that feels cohesive.  Most people don't like this album, but I do.

I have the tremolo head shakes now.

• Haha 1

I intended it to be played loud as fuck on a stereo system, by the way.  And yes, there is variation of dynamics in the track.

I probably should have trimmed down the intro though

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

I'm not sure if this is still the case: https://get.bandcamp.help/hc/en-us/articles/360007901993-What-s-the-maximum-upload-size-#:~:text=Once you've made a,on the size of albums.

At the time, BC did limit me, but I reached out to them and they bumped it up to 600MB for me just to be nice. Not sure if I had surpassed $20 worth of album sales already at that time, I guess not. 

I made a bunch of generative ambient tracks that go on forever.

Generative pieces aside - this is my longest track so far, I think it has a spectral vibe to it (I hope so, at least 🙂)

Edited by DeliKuvveti
  • Like 2

those posts are welcome since I'm currently into  listening to long ambient pieces (while resting and recovering after 15 days of non stop hard work)

been quickly browsing some of the tracks posted above, lots of nice stuff guys.

I will listen to them from start to end this morning

ps : my own longest tracks are 12 to 18 mins, but won't post it here coz there is already lots of things here wich are way better than mine

Edited by neurone
grammar correction
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Both of these are 20 minutes, tailored to the medium they were being released on:

https://nullreligionnetlabel.bandcamp.com/album/frequency-of-the-multivibrator

ah lol not really fitting for a nap 🙂 but good. so intense. (some analogue feedback technique here I guess...)

actually I had to stop it before the end coz my 4 year old daughter came around and she was getting scary 🙀

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, neurone said:

those posts are welcome since I'm currently into  listening to long ambient pieces (while resting and recovering after 15 days of non stop hard work)

been quickly browsing some of the tracks posted above, lots of nice stuff guys.

I will listen to them from start to end this morning

ps : my own longest tracks are 12 to 18 mins, but won't post it here coz there is already lots of things here wich are way better than mine

No, post it.  This thread doesn't have anything to do with who's better.

• Like 1

@drillkicker here we go, longest tracks I have : (quite short compared to those 20-30 mins pieces up there 😉

https://neurone45.bandcamp.com/track/etorpe-1t-f-secd

https://neurone45.bandcamp.com/track/etorpe-1t-stunt

https://neurone45.bandcamp.com/track/forest-run-live-13-05-2014

actually have a few longer ones but not uploaded yet coz w.i.p.

Edited by neurone
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, neurone said:

ah lol not really fitting for a nap 🙂 but good. so intense. (some analogue feedback technique here I guess...)

actually I had to stop it before the end coz my 4 year old daughter came around and she was getting scary 🙀

I find them oddly relaxing.  There's a lap top with various loops fed through various effects pedals, and some sections where I mess around with the patch cables... oh and then I fed a mic through and played some harmonica/created feedback, yep.  (That's the first track, anyway.)  Any time I do a track like this there's a lot of preplanning for what I'm going to do during each section, despite the chaotic nature.  There's always a map.  And I always have to try out several different arrangements before I settle on something I like.  In many ways I find it more challenging than creating more traditional music based on melody and rhythm.  It's also a lot more fun to play live.

Oh yeah, and in the second track I took bits from that live performance and rearranged them in Cubase.  That was a lot of fun.  I was renting out this old space in China Town that used to be an opium factory when I made it.  Good memories.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Like 1

^that's the longest i've ever done. it and its recent follow up/related track are both more ambient/droney obv, as is this track but all pretty long.

golden field is my longest track with a full on beats/rhythmic assault, but this just-released track reppa is a close second on that side of things.

what i'm trying to say is i tend to ramble when it comes to both words and music. 

On 2/9/2021 at 7:32 PM, eczem said:

this is a very good track, have listened to it very often since release.

need to dip in on the rest of y'alls posted up. good thread.

• Like 2