IGNORED

Eyecandy Movies that won't break your brain

T3551ER

I sort of hesitate to make a new thread for this, but not sure it really fits in the larger movies thread. Between school, work, baby and life in general, find myself being drawn to watching films that are not too substative (but not just dumb) and look amazing. Basically, things I could just smoke and veg out to. Any recommendations? Things that I think fall in this category are:

• Jupiter Ascending - total fairy tale/fluff but great world building and visually awesome
  • Batman V Superman - I just rewatched the extended version and PM loved it. It's actually more thematically dense than I think people give it credit for, looks amazeballs, not too challenging on the brain piece. Most of Snyder's stuff probably fits in this category
  • Prometheus - as heady sci-fi it's terrible; as cheesy horror with interesting lofty ideas it's amazing. Looks triff
  • War of the Worlds (Spielberg version) - been a minute, but this one is just a joy to watch, no wasted scenes. Almost perfect expect for the last 2 minutes. Looks incredible. 
  • Mad Max: Fury Road - from beginning to end, str8 lushness. Amazeballs. 
  • EDIT: Star Wars Rise of Skywalker - lol what a fucking shitshow but man I love getting blazed and watching this. When you abandon any hope of trying to make this a cogent film and just take it as a series of scenes that are loosely strung together it's the tits

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 1

I love Barry Lyndon for this specifically.

Playtime is also an essential choice

Good Morning (1959) as well

Maybe Kagemusha would fit in, but it is a little complicated

Edited by drillkicker
  • Like 4

Come and See (1985) - Amazing cinematography and a very beautiful story that will lift your spirit ?

Not exactly a non-cerebral movie though. Also viewers should be aware that there is actual footage from a Nazi death camp in the film. 

Edited by chenGOD
  • Like 1
  • Burger 2

Ohhhh, been meaning to watch Phase IV, forgot about that. Grats ya'll, lots of ones here I haven't seen yet (or partially seen - Mandy got vetoed by the missus but loved what I saw). Bladerunner 2049 also prob fits this in addition to OG Bladerunner. Visually redonkulous but yeah substance there too...

EDIT: @drillkickerJust watched the trailer for Playtime ?

Edited by T3551ER

An eyecandy move that definitely won't require to much thinking, more like it's mandatory that you turn all higher brain functions off..

Cutie_honey_Film.jpg

Edited by zkom
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

Enter the Void - has amazing eye candy especially in the 2nd half

The Fountain - big sads but big eye candy too. 

edit: oh..  i missed the point of this somewhat. neither of these fit the OP description. hmm. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

I had a really good time recently watching the John Wick movies and smoking weed. Those fight scenes are brutal. Keanu has like five lines per movie but it's over-the-top in just the right way. Also like how it's shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@ignatiusFriggin' love the Fountain. But, man, big sads is right. Forget about that one. OH, also, reminds me, Sunshine should prob be on this list

@zkomhahaha. perfecct.  

@BraintreeLoved the first 2, haven't see the 3rd yet - yeah, they are brilliant. Efficient, no-nonsense, straight to the point. Good choice for this, thnx for the reminder!

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 2

Serenity (FireFly movie) is fun and well done. it's charming.  plot moves well and it's got some genuine LOL lines in it and good action of all sorts. good cast. space stuff.

i'd def add that all the more recent Terminator movies are great for getting blazed and watching some action with big stuff and some pretty amazing sound design.

when this big thing pops up from underground and fires its weapon that BONK sound is one my fav things. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

Hero with Jet Li still looks great and has a wonderful score. You can shut your brain off for that one. It's one of those stories with multiple perspectives, but you really don't even need to follow the story to enjoy it.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, zkom said:

An eyecandy move that definitely won't require to much thinking, more like it's mandatory that you turn all higher brain functions off..

Thanks for the rec. Will watch ASAP.

EDIT this was to reference to Yakuza post-> ^ lol holy wtf. Love it. Also, agreed on the Guardians films. My wife and I watch the first one at least once a year, never disappoints. 

@Braintree reminded me of how great Hero is. The falling leaves scene alone is just gahhhh, love it. OT but Ghosts of Tsushima def makes me feel at times as if I'm living in that realm...

2nd EDIT: oh right! yeah, THX is so good - the remaster is also one of the few times where Lucas retouched his old stuff and it actually seemed to make it better .. 

Edited by T3551ER
  • Like 2

Some more recommendations:

Through the Olive Trees (also Taste of Cherry and other Kiarostami films)

Kore-eda has very beautiful images of modern Japan in Still Walking, After the Storm, and Shoplifters

Brakhage's films are literally just eye-candy with no narrative whatsoever

• Like 2