IGNORED

Eyecandy Movies that won't break your brain

T3551ER

Totally forgot about Gravity! I actually liked that movie.

Drive, by the way. Say what you will about it, it's shot really well. Not a whole lot to think about in that one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

Exactly what I was going to suggest as well!

Some more suggestions:

Police Story 1 and 2

Qatsi trilogy

+1 for the Qatsi trilogy (Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi) particularly the first two. also check out Baraka and Samsara with cinematographer Ron Fricke directing.

they are beautiful, very easy films to watch.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Tim_J said:

The Other Lamb PosterGretel & Hansel Poster

the other one.. "Hansel and Gretel; Witch Hunters" with jeremy renner and gemma arterton is a good time if you can track down the director's cut which has some great scenes and better language etc.  it's a proper freaky action movie. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, T3551ER said:

War of the Worlds (Spielberg version)

Thanks for validating. My friends talk so much shit about this, but as even-keeled popcorn horror, it's pretty damn good. Maybe it's the happy ending that bothers people.

• Like 1

gotta throw Scott Pilgrim vs The World in here. fucking hilarious to me for a hundred reasons. there's eye candy i guess in all the little OCD things in there like video game sounds and visual distortions to cover swear words.. super mario coins etc. 

big tunes, lols, fights. 

• Like 1

District 9 because the aliens' Prawns' Poleepkwa's weapons and technology are exceptionally badass in design. This is where Neill Blomkamp excels.

Elysium for mostly same reason as above, except there are no aliens and it has even less of a story. Again, Blomkamp is exceptionally talented at prop design but has mostly sucked at story-writing.

Hardcore Henry because it's just a balls-out action film entirely in first-person perspective. I think Blomkamp was involved in some way but didn't actually direct it.

Also Sharlto Copley is in all three.

(BTW don't bother with Chappie)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ambermonke said:

Hardcore Henry because it's just a balls-out action film entirely in first-person perspective. I think Blomkamp was involved in some way but didn't actually direct it.

+1 for this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ambermonke said:

Well, if it’s  mindless action you want, allow me to recommend The Raid (2011).

In which we see an Indonesian cop get up out of bed kiss his pregnant wife goodbye. This is the entirety of the character development. After this he drives over to an apartment building with his cop colleagues and they proceed to kick the living sh** out of everyone they encounter. Some reason is given for this carnage (the people in the apartment building are Bad People) but mostly it’s a 101 minute fight fest.

• Like 3

Aquaman made me laugh uncontrollably while smoking, it's fun dumb cgi garbage. I haven't watched that godawfull Valerian movie high, but I'm sure it'll work, just don't watch it sober. The Fifth element. Both Blade Runners. Samsara. Apocalypse Now!, Planet Earth (tv series, both seasons), The Science of Sleep, Mood indigo, Holy Motors, House of flying daggers (and Hero, but that's already mentioned), Hellboy I&II, Mad Max: Fury Road, City of God, Monos, Post Tenebras Lux, Holy Mountain, Spirited Away, Akira. most of the Pixar stuff is great for this state of mind!

I'm done for now, could go on forever, most of these are classics that you already know about I'm sure.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Dragon said:

+1 for the Qatsi trilogy (Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi) particularly the first two. also check out Baraka and Samsara with cinematographer Ron Fricke directing.

they are beautiful, very easy films to watch.

Good call on Baraka and Samsara. I got lucky and got to see Samsara in the theater. Very very cool.

Any Wes Anderson, though among them I find Life Aquatic and Fantastic Mr Fox a bit more mellow and visually packed

Totoro and any of the G rated Miyazaki films

Pride & Prejudice (2005)

The Man Who Fell To Earth

Pee Wee's Big Adventure

Dune

Paris, Texas

2010: The Year We Make Contact (underrated and overlooked IMO)

Where The Wild Things Are

American Graffitti

Earth Girls Are Easy

Time Bandits

Raising Arizona

Be Kind Rewind

Explorers

Honey I Shrunk The Kids

Man With The Moving Camera

Heavier emotionally but visually packed:

Melancholia 

Solaris (1972)

Ad Astra

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Atonement

The Cranes Are Flying

/////

I suppose my favorite movies of all time fit this too: Empire of The Sun and Right Stuff

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

2010: The Year We Make Contact (underrated and overlooked IMO)

Picked up a blu-ray of this at the thrift shop for a dollar.  I had never heard of it but I love 2001.  Maybe I'll get around to watching that now.

24 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

The Cranes Are Flying

Can't agree with this one and have to point to an anecdote. An ex (who I was with for many years), one of our first dates was watching The Cranes are Flying together. My thought process didn't go far enough and I thought it would be a good date film. She wound up bawling by the last scene. 

Great call on Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Made me think of another recommendation here:  any Karel Zeman film (Wes Anderson, Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton are all vocal and avid fans).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rhmilo said:

Well, if it’s  mindless action you want, allow me to recommend The Raid (2011).

In which we see an Indonesian cop get up out of bed kiss his pregnant wife goodbye. This is the entirety of the character development. After this he drives over to an apartment building with his cop colleagues and they proceed to kick the living sh** out of everyone they encounter. Some reason is given for this carnage (the people in the apartment building are Bad People) but mostly it’s a 101 minute fight fest.

This is absolutely one of the best just balls-to-the-walls mindless action flicks ever. Tony Jaa's first two films (Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong) are also right up there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

Thanks for validating. My friends talk so much shit about this, but as even-keeled popcorn horror, it's pretty damn good. Maybe it's the happy ending that bothers people.

Yeah, I mean there are so many amazing scenes in this (and it's kind of crazy that it's only PG-13, 'cause I'm pretty sure I remember Tom Cruise running (lol of course) while mf'ers are getting vaporized all around him and at some point stopping to realize he's covered in the ash of all these people that were killed). I dunno, I do hate the ending, but up until that point I'm, like 100% all in on this one. 

Also - glad someone brought up Baraka and films of that ilk - Planet Earth on Blu-Ray HDR on a good set is amazeballs, visually unmatched but also something you can just kind of chill to. Good for the comedown...

Also, GD, thank  ya'll - this thread totally delivers... going to be coming back to this one for years to come mining the good shit. WATMM massif FTW! 

• Like 1