IGNORED

Eyecandy Movies that won't break your brain

T3551ER

15 hours ago, ignatius said:

the other one.. "Hansel and Gretel; Witch Hunters" with jeremy renner and gemma arterton is a good time if you can track down the director's cut which has some great scenes and better language etc.  it's a proper freaky action movie. 

yeah i member having fun with that movie... didn't watch the dc though... but anyway, it's a completely different vibe...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drillkicker said:

Picked up a blu-ray of this at the thrift shop for a dollar.  I had never heard of it but I love 2001.  Maybe I'll get around to watching that now.

It's a such a strange film because it's a great sci-fi film in it's own right but for many, if not most, a totally unneeded sequel and follow-up to 2001. The aesthetics of it is prime 80s era "cassette futurism" ~ hard sci-fi leaning but with a lot of stuff that was totally plausible futurism wise then but now very dated. Especially the Soviet-US angle.

https://wearethemutants.com/2019/08/01/cold-war-interrupted-the-promise-of-2010-the-year-we-make-contact/

OK (lol) so, in the context of the posts

OG - colloquially refers to something "old school" Literal translation is "Original Gangsta" which I think one could trace back to the ICE-T song of that name, or perhaps that just popularized it. Also, could  be:

OH -  onomonatopei - just me saying "oh" like "oh shit, just realized that I use a lot of two letter capitalizations, sry)

OT - Off Topic. This post is firmly OT. 

GD - God Damn, abbreviated to protect the god fearing and innocent and followers of the ten commandments. But God Dammit I just didn't abbreviate it so I'm going to hell now. But I'm a Buddhist so probably going to be ok. 

• Like 1

Was Amélie mentioned? I totally forgot about that.

The Little Prince is another good animated film. Any Henry Selick is great as well, kind of up there with Burton.

1 hour ago, Taupe Beats said:

Can't agree with this one and have to point to an anecdote. An ex (who I was with for many years), one of our first dates was watching The Cranes are Flying together. My thought process didn't go far enough and I thought it would be a good date film. She wound up bawling by the last scene. 

Great call on Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Made me think of another recommendation here:  any Karel Zeman film (Wes Anderson, Terry Gilliam and Tim Burton are all vocal and avid fans).

Yeah that was under my "emotionally heavy" list right? 

Good call on those directors.

back to more action/drama oriented stuff I love Top Gun and Hunt For Red October

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

This is absolutely one of the best just balls-to-the-walls mindless action flicks ever. Tony Jaa's first two films (Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong) are also right up there.

Yes, a lot of balls end up to the wall in this flick.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, joshuatxuk said:

Yeah that was under my "emotionally heavy" list right? 

I guess that's where I am not seeing emotionally heavy films as good recommendations for films that "won't break the brain". There's always the potential for viewer immersion and one never knows when it will happen (even if they're just looking for escapism).

Thinking about it a bit more though, Kalatozov's film after The Cranes are Flying, Letters Never Sent, that one would be a good recommendation for this list. It's almost as visually appealing as The Cranes are Flying (def. would still count as "eye-candy", all Kalatozov films do), but the story is frankly dumb and not nearly as profound. Still engaging, but yeah not devastating.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, milkface said:

Not exactly a non-cerebral movie though. Also viewers should be aware that there is actual footage from a Nazi death camp in the film. 

chen man i was joking but i appreciate your disclaimer for any unsuspecting person who read my post lol

18 hours ago, Dragon said:

+1 for the Qatsi trilogy (Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Naqoyqatsi) particularly the first two. also check out Baraka and Samsara with cinematographer Ron Fricke directing.

they are beautiful, very easy films to watch.

I’m actually in Naqoyqatsi. I was dating a girl who worked in the sound post department (she told me her job was to download and present Phillip Glass with sounds to inspire him in composing the score) and we were invited to a “feast” of about 100 people where they fed us a 20 course meal by Nobu’s chef (each one paired with a bottle of wine), got us full and drunk, and then filmed us in slow motion to capture faces in “ecstasy”. It was pretty insane. I peed in a urinal next to Philip Glass and thought it was probably too awkward to strike up a conversation. 
The thumbnail of this clip actually me. I’m not in a good mood.

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 7
  • Burger 2

42 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I peed in a urinal next to Philip Glass and thought it was probably too awkward to strike up a conversation.

Sounds like a party that would just have a chamber pot at the table, though.

• Haha 1