IGNORED

Eyecandy Movies that won't break your brain

T3551ER

On 2/10/2021 at 2:10 PM, QQQ said:

beyond the black rainbow

Definitely. One of the best looking films I've ever seen. Didn't care much for anything else about it, but visually (and atmospherically), it's quite impressive.

On 2/10/2021 at 8:50 PM, ignatius said:

Enter the Void - has amazing eye candy especially in the 2nd half

Definitely this one. It was recommended to me in a film noir thread I started on here a few years ago. It's one of the movies that changed my life, it's the drukqs of movies

2 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Guy at 2:17 won that banquet.

Totally. 
I’m almost 100% positive that the 2 people at 2:32 had sex in the bathroom later... I have no clue who the dude was but he had straight up evil energy. 

• Haha 1

oh, "Only Lovers Left Alive" is greeeeeeaatttt.  excellent tunes. it flows well. is super charming. has some lolz. it's kind of serene and soothing with a slightly edgy commentary at times that i really like. the music is epic at times and it's so well styled. was one of the last things that Anton Yelchin was part of and i didn't recognize him for like 20 minutes. 

also recommend "the Dead Don't Die" is light and fun and a good beer/burger/joint kind of movie. some really funny moments.. it does sort of come across as a long set up for a punchline. 

"Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai" is pretty epic. kind of a favorite. jarmusch achieves some level of mastery all the time imo and he does little things in this movie w/cartoons, people speaking different languages unfamiliar to each other but still communicating and.. well.. mobsters dancing to PE/flavor flav. 

of his movies i think these 3 are perfect stoner fulfilling charm and storytelling and would make a really nice triple feature actually.. now that i think of it. 

i'll add that cinematography is pretty great in all of them especially only lovers left alive.. really amazing framing of the scenes... 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Tim_J said:

this guy did lots of soundtracks including Mandy's incredible ost... he died recently...:(

Whoa nice! I had no idea Last And First Men had been made into a movie - it's one of my favourite books.

• Like 1

just saving all of this to my watch list ? 

from what I saw I'd like to second Aki Kaurismaki, Enter The Void, and also City of God - I used to skate with some of those kids back then, they were severely underpaid.
I'd add Anihilation, The Limits of Control (it's got this amazing lysergic pace) and I also love the aesthetics of the Ocean's Eleven trilogy both as Eye and Ear candy, it's pretty slick. same with Fight Club. Paprika, Ghost In The Shell for anime and, to me, the most stunning movie of all, Stalker by Tarkovski.

8 hours ago, Tim_J said:

YES, YOU DID!

ALSO THIS! this movie is incredible. same amazing aesthetics as The Cell with Jenny from the block, which I remember being pretty good, actually

Edited by tbf
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Braintree said:

Speed Racer (the Wachowski version)

Fuck yes. That's pure eye candy. Watch on the biggest screen at the best resolution you can.

• Like 1

Well, I feel we need to add Redline as well then. 

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 3

Ashes of Time (don't get the redux version, they fucked with the colour scheme, it's awful) -  as an aside, almost everything that Christopher Doyle (cinematographer on most of Wong Kar Wai's films) shoots is visually stunning.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring. (Kim Ki Duk makes some brutal fucking movies, but this one is a piece of heaven put onto film)

House of Flying Daggers, Raise the Red Lantern (a little more cerebral but not like Naked Lunch or Eraserhead good lord).

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee made one of the most beautiful wuxia films I've seen, and I've seen a lot).

• Like 1

@chenGODThnx for the tip on Ashes of Time - I've been meaning to catch it for a while, will avoid the Redux. Man, Crouching Tiger... so good. Feel like lot of Ang Lee films might possibly fit here - they are always visually stunning at the very least...

@Tim_Jand @tbfThe Fall! It's been on my to do. Realized that probably his film Immortals probably fits well in this thread. 

Immortals sure has impressive CGI, but I remember watching it on TV and not being captivated. so much so that I hadn't even made the connection up until now. maybe I'll watch it again, but it seems like one of those big studio ostentatious blockbusters where the director, more frequently than not, lo$es a bit of his touch due to thinking about target audience

Edited by tbf
  • Like 1

Pardon me not getting read the whole thread. So many great ones listed that I did see however. 

There’s this 2000 one, “The Cell” w/ JLo and Vincent D’Onofrio. Fun psych-detective thriller. 

That movie had a sort of unrelated counterpart by the same director called “The Fall” 

Then somebody said Gilliam so gotta throw in his last good movie which was “The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus” 

Oh somebody did say The Fall ok, but The Cell was better.

Was thinking of Crouching Tiger as well, but if you want some of that OG wuxia style stuff that inspired it, check “A Touch of Zen”. Its like 3 hours but I grabs me and pulls me all the way thru every time.