IGNORED

Dance label R&S Records accused of racial discrimination

Berk

Hard to believe. Techno for whities? wasn't jeff mils and carl cocks like the gods of that genre?
These dudes prob made some crap tunes and now they are butthhurt

Ugh i should prob read it again

• Like 1

Seems like a disgruntled former employee giving it his best trying cancel R&S tbqf. Not really a lot of evidence other than a stupidly worded email. 

if anything they have a severe lack of female and asian artists. It's a small label with a small roster. wtf.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 2

There is more meat in the resident advisor story https://ra.co/news/74525

Side note:

Content warning: This story contains imagery and mentions of anti-Semitism, Nazism and Adolf Hitler.

I'm all triggered out by trigger warnings. jesus fucking shitcrist.

• Haha 2

I can't find the controversy in his responses. It's weird to say "pure breed black" but if English isn't his first language, it could be some clunky Dutch/English issues. 

"For example, in November 2019 Vandepapeliere allegedly sent Chaudhuri an Instagram post asking him to rate three topless women"

?

i dunno guys seems like a sexist nazi to me let's cancel him

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Hard to believe. Techno for whities? emoji848.png wasn't jeff mils and carl cocks like the gods of that genre?

That I guess is part of the problem that the originators and legends get acknowledged to some level but new non-white artists don't get signed or are pushed in the sidelines in festivals. There's also a bunch of idiots who think that techno just appeared in Berlin or Europe out of nowhere and was just mainly influenced by Kraftwerk.

The whole thing has been taking rounds in techno circuits for years for what I know taking some extra energy last year when people have been locked in their homes and not being able to go to actual parties. Curious it took this long to arrive here.

24 minutes ago, zkom said:

That I guess is part of the problem that the originators and legends get acknowledged to some level but new non-white artists don't get signed or are pushed in the sidelines in festivals. There's also a bunch of idiots who think that techno just appeared in Berlin or Europe out of nowhere and was just mainly influenced by Kraftwerk.

The whole thing has been taking rounds in techno circuits for years for what I know taking some extra energy last year when people have been locked in their homes and not being able to go to actual parties. Curious it took this long to arrive here.

bro i saw faithless and carl cox in 2002 at ROCK(!) werchter here in belgium as HEADLINER!

https://www.rockwerchter.be/nl/geschiedenis/detail/rock-werchter-2002

it seems that Mr. Chaudhuri is a huge americunt exploiting real sexism and racism cause he's a butthurt and the other one is a huge dick that rates instaboobs

edit: I saw friggin erykah baduh headline at the other stage on sunday (didn't like techno then) and i missed almost the whole saturday cause i was stoned out of my mind. D12 didn't show up either on friday i was devestated ?

Edited by Ivan Ooze
  • Like 3

this whole thing is a big nothingburger, very dumb indeed. former employee is either profoundly intellectually challenged or simply in quest of cash, or both. the only wrongdoing from vandepapeliere (bwahahaha "vandepapeliere"), if former employee's story is true, is the contract thing. and that's it. the rest of the "case" is pure garbage

• Like 3

I'm afraid I'm being terribly inappropriate here, but I really thought this was about some inappropriate comments on preferring black vinyl over coloured pressings. Those other colours often just tend to crackle more than the good ol' black ones. It's better to have a couple of black slabs on the wheels of steel while slaving away, mixing records.

/self-cancelled

Seriously though, reading that article at RA I'm surprised by Chaudhuri's logic here. He was devastated he lost his job even though it was painfully clear he and Vandepapeliere were on completely different frequencies. He should have realised he couldn't work for Renate and left early on. Instead he's devastated he lost his job. Not sure in what reality he's living.

Instead, he puts himself on a huge white horse, saying he was saving the label and "trying to get him to do the right thing". He was the f-ing founder of the label and wasn't having any of it. That's when you leave. Even if you may be right.

This quote alone makes me sympathise with Renate more than with Chaudhuri, tbh. Should art also be forced to be politically correct now? Come on. Renate could be the biggest d*ck, for all I know. But that's not an excuse to just move in there and taking over business.

"I was devastated to lose my job," Chaudhuri says. "It was particularly galling to be fired for doing the right thing and trying to get him to do the right thing. I was also on the brink of bringing newfound success and credibility to the label on the back of the diversified artists I was in the process of signing."