IGNORED

Placid Angles - Touch The Earth

species8472

was not expecting this - but this is awesome news! beltran is definitely one of my favourites - he has a had great run lately -  and the last placid angles album was awesome.

really looking forward to this.

"When the first Placid Angels album dropped in 1997, Jon Beltran was already an established force within dance music’s then-emerging scene. He had a knack for both the melodic side as well as intricately designed rhythmic programming. A signature style that went for his early records in the 1990s as much as it does for this new installment of the Placid Angels series (set to drop via Figure this February).

The blissful synths, Aphex Twin-era IDM and loose percussive patterns take you right back to where it all began when genres didn’t mean anything and Beltran was just starting out to experiment with any sound that would elevate your consciousness.

The Michigan-born artist since has spanned a career of nearly four decades, remaining relevant all the while, by playing the music he found himself most drawn to express. By working with artists like Detroit veteran Carl Craig, labels such as R&S or more recently his LPs for Delsin or his joint work with Four Tet. Whether it be his more Techno-leaning or New Wave-inspired works, his takes on Ambient, or the more Latin-influenced productions - he has always stayed active and re-invented himself while painting his records with a clearly own palette that is full of beautiful melodies and a timeless sound-design.

The album Touch The Earth itself comes as diverse as the artist’s own legacy, ranging from skittish, colorful UKG to proper pulsing sub-basslines as it progresses deeper into intelligent drum programming and further into the melodic ventures of what’s at the core of Beltran’s work. Drawing to a close, ambient tones overweigh, as Beltran oozes the last drops of emotion from this LP, leaving the angels look down placidly."

a1386014321_10.jpg

Edited by species8472
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

For some reason skipping through the tracks made me go back to Innerzone Orchestra's Programmed (I also like Versus - live and long) which is an amazing album. I'm not saying that Touch The Earth comes nowhere near Programmed,  but it has the same eclectic Detroit atmosphere - but with a Beltran slant. I'll give this a proper hearing to later.

Edited by dcom

Yeah this is good. I don’t listen to this kind of thing much these days but I have to admit he’s gotten really good at it over the years. He was one of the first techno artists I started listening to back in the 90s. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 4:00 AM, kuniklo said:

I will say that 15 euro for a download is a bit painful though.

27 euros for a 3x12" record + FLAC download is a fair price for me

but i have to say, this release is really beautiful! with healing properties. highly recommended! 

Edited by xox
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...