IGNORED

NFTs for music / auction music to the highest bidder via crypto tech

auxien

a bunch of mega rich dudes are trying to get even richer:

https://decrypt.co/64223/tom-brady-is-launching-an-nft-platform

Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback and seven-time Super Bowl champion Tom Brady is launching an NFT platform called Autograph, per CNN

Brady and Richard Rosenblatt, the former CEO of Myspace parent company Intermix Media, will serve as co-chairs of Autograph, while the CEO will be Rosenblatt's 23-year-old son Dillon.

Autograph has also loaded up a team of tech and sports heavyweights as board members or advisors, including Apple SVP Eddy Cue, DraftKings CEO Jason Robins, Spotify CCO Dawn Ostroff, Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer, Cameo CEO Steven Galanis, and Golden State Warriors part owner Peter Guber.

@cyanobacteria this shit should be making you puke about now. fuck these rich assholes. if you need a wingman for your communism thing, I'm down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, zero said:

@cyanobacteria this shit should be making you puke about now. fuck these rich assholes. if you need a wingman for your communism thing, I'm down.

even crazier.. tom brady's wife makes like twice what he does. mega mega rich rich

40 minutes ago, auxien said:

overview video, maybe helpful for some of those struggling to grasp

nice money laundering jab. well done. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ignatius said:

even crazier.. tom brady's wife makes like twice what he does. mega mega rich rich

yeah...if only there were some sort of "club", where we could "fight" each other, turn rich people's fat into soap and sell it back to them, and then bring down the corporate banking system...huh

• Big Brain 1

26 minutes ago, zero said:

yeah...if only there were some sort of "club", where we could "fight" each other, turn rich people's fat into soap and sell it back to them, and then bring down the corporate banking system...huh

all the while sexxing helena bonham carter and burying meatloaf in the backyard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zero said:

and here we observe the narcissistic and money obsessed decadence of the bourgeoisie radicalizing the general public, excellent

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 3

The only thing I'm beginning to have a grasp on regarding NFTs, is its dire environmental impact, but still not understanding its appeal for anything other than spending a lot of money to hopefully sell for a bit more money down the road.  Its mere existence is really upsetting me.  Who thought of this, and are they being punished appropriately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

The only thing I'm beginning to have a grasp on regarding NFTs, is its dire environmental impact, but still not understanding its appeal for anything other than spending a lot of money to hopefully sell for a bit more money down the road.  Its mere existence is really upsetting me.  Who thought of this, and are they being punished appropriately.

there is literally no, I repeat, NO environmental impact from NFTs.  the environmental impact is from the proof of work blockchain itself and it's happening before NFTs were invented and it's happening after they were invented, the same exact amount.  if you deleted all NFTs the environmental impact of the blockchain would not be improved by the supposed amount they claim is caused by NFTs

think of it like a train.  when people say NFTs have environmental impact its dumb because the train is running down the tracks whether you throw a couple paintings onto the train or not, and when you do that it doesnt impact the trains coal requirements anyway

Edited by cyanobacteria
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 4

The train would stop running if nobody bought a ticket or paid for shipping, for fucks sake, it's not that hard.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

lol, yeah that was covered in the flahbulb vid.

I mean I get it though, that's the same logic I use to justify eating meat.  Like "well they're still torturing chickens cows and pigs whether I eat this burger or not, so i may as well ensure their suffering was not in vain."

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

The train would stop running if nobody bought a ticket or paid for shipping, for fucks sake, it's not that hard.

you really think ethereum miners would stop mining if nobody bought NFT?

facepalm me all you want, I'm explaining how the technology works and you're making false analogies.  there are no tickets on ethereum

29 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

lol, yeah that was covered in the flahbulb vid.

I mean I get it though, that's the same logic I use to justify eating meat.  Like "well they're still torturing chickens cows and pigs whether I eat this burger or not, so i may as well ensure their suffering was not in vain."

no it's not because whether people use NFT has no bearing whatsoever on whether miners mine, whereas eating meat directly causes demand for meat which causes them to grow meat

Edited by cyanobacteria

2 minutes ago, cyanobacteria said:

no it's not because whether people use NFT has no bearing whatsoever on whether miners mine, whereas eating meat directly causes demand for meat which causes them to grow meat

I find it hard to believe that miners keep mining if the need for it is reduced substantially.  The pointless machine only grinds along because we've created a pointless need.  Re: the meat thing - if I were to stop eating meat tomorrow it wouldn't effect anything, because i'm just one person who's probably not going to produce offspring.  If I had influence over a large number of people, or were responsible for the direction future generations might take down my genetic line, it would be another story.  The two arguments are pretty much the same thing, anyway.  My justification for eating meat is shit, and so is any justification for feeding into this stupidity.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I find it hard to believe that miners keep mining if the need for it is reduced substantially.  The pointless machine only grinds along because we've created a pointless need.  Re: the meat thing - if I were to stop eating meat tomorrow it wouldn't effect anything, because i'm just one person who's probably not going to produce offspring.  If I had influence over a large number of people, or were responsible for the direction future generations might take down my genetic line, it would be another story.  The two arguments are pretty much the same thing, anyway.  My justification for eating meat is shit, and so is any justification for feeding into this stupidity.

when the price of the currency goes down the relative value of mining in comparison to electricity goes down so some miners shut off.  when NFT transactions occur there is no suggestion that the price of ETH changes either up or down thus there is no affect.  this meat analogy is false, also I hope everyone who likes the analogy is vegan

3 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

some people genuinely believe in the future of cryptocurrency and NFT's - similar to how there were early believers & adapters to mp3s and social media. there are people who buy NFT's so they can implement them in virtual spaces (eg. in land for rent or advertising). the environmental impact is just a hurdle to overcome.

11 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

well, let me chime in cause I'm vegan so I gots that street cred. as much as you may like to use that logic to your advantage (even if you don't take it seriously yourself) the analogy here is actually of the drop of water. you might say it's small, but with enough of them you form a whole body of water. and if every water drop figured it wouldn't make a difference to that whole that body of water would never be. vegans don't usually get into it thinking they're joining in the winning team (maybe morally they do, but that's a whole other conversation), there's a big chunk of faith and hopefulness and proactiveness there

11 hours ago, cyanobacteria said:

when the price of the currency goes down the relative value of mining in comparison to electricity goes down so some miners shut off.  when NFT transactions occur there is no suggestion that the price of ETH changes either up or down thus there is no affect.  this meat analogy is false, also I hope everyone who likes the analogy is vegan

but wouldn't you say the public interest in NFTs (or lack thereof) contributes to the value of ETH? if more people decide to invest in it that must have some effect on inflation and probably in the mining business itself, as there's more demand and therefore more opportunity for miners, no? this is an elite game anyways, this whole NFT thing is just a new hustle by the shot callers of the world, they have the means to fuel the speculation as much as they want, and a decentralised monetary system only gives way to easier and more efficient foul play, and if most average citizens get their heads done in enough with the regular banking system simply out of ignorance, imagine the potential of blockchain for market and financial manipulation. I mean, I don't understand much of this so I might be going full QAnon here, but the way this thing absolutely exploded from almost out of nowhere really doesn't feel "organic" to me

Edited by tbf
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbf said:

well, let me chime in cause I'm vegan so I gots that street cred. as much as you may like to use that logic to your advantage (even if you don't take it seriously yourself) the analogy here is actually of the drop of water. you might say it's small, but with enough of them you form a whole body of water. and if every water drop figured it wouldn't make a difference to that whole that body of water would never be. vegans don't usually get into it thinking they're joining in the winning team (maybe morally they do, but that's a whole other conversation), there's a big chunk of faith and hopefulness and proactiveness there

but wouldn't you say the public interest in NFTs (or lack thereof) contributes to the value of ETH? if more people decide to invest in it that must have some effect on inflation and probably in the mining business itself, as there's more demand and therefore more opportunity for miners, no? this is an elite game anyways, this whole NFT thing is just a new hustle by the shot callers of the world, they have the means to fuel the speculation as much as they want, and a decentralised monetary system only gives way to easier and more efficient foul play, and if most average citizens get their heads done in enough with the regular banking system simply out of ignorance, imagine the potential of blockchain for market and financial manipulation. I mean, I don't understand much of this so I might be going full QAnon here, but the way this thing absolutely exploded from almost out of nowhere really doesn't feel "organic" to me

if anything ETH is a transfer of wealth from the rich freaks to artists. could it drive up the price of ETH if the buyers buy ETH to buy the NFT?  maybe, but the artists probably sell it.  it can go both ways, it could also be nouveau rich crypto hodlers buying NFT then the NFT sellers dump the crypto, decreasing the price.  i haven't seen evidence either way so I'm doubting it has any affect and if anything it devalues it in the eyes of the general public, as this thread and basically everything I've ever heard about NFTs frtom anyone talking about it suggests - everyone thinks its fucking retarded so where are these people thinking it makes ETH more valuable? idk

ABCDEFHG indeed

Edited by Silent Member

NFTs are the perfect expression of art-world-as-financial-bubble. As with all bubbles, the details may be obfuscating, but the basic phenomenon is very simple: The more people who can be brought to agree that some arbitrary object is valuable, the more valuable it becomes. In other words, crypto-currencies like Bitcoin and crypto-related investments like NFTs are a pyramid scheme disguised by the Nolan effect. The “valuelessness” of the object and the absurdity of the markets that appear to trade it only seems obvious in hindsight, as has been the case since the early-capitalist Dutch tulip craze. During that event, the tulip was an almost perfect commodity, more or less a way to print money at will — until suddenly it wasn’t. Its arbitrariness, its apparent uselessness, allowed it to more easily approach the status of money itself — a pure medium of exchange whose value seems only to grow with every trade. Yet as with all commodities that increasingly appear to be but aren’t money, people will eventually notice that the emperor has no clothes, try to cash out, and cause a collapse.

[...]

This is what libertarian evangelists see in crypto: a currency unmoored from a state, from an apparatus of violence, taxation, and territorial control. Instead of violence, the backstop will be technological cryptography, complex coding, and electrical power. But there is nothing innately value-producing about computer code any more than there is in tulip genes, and NFTs are just like tulips in that they are a volatile store of value subject to the irrational whims of investors. Like crypto, they are angling to become unmoored from the apparatus (in their case, the art world) that typically conditions their value. Yoking art to crypto attempts a double liberation, but it is still underwritten by the premise of the art world and its nonfinancial mechanisms for inventing value. The value of art under capitalism is justified by a recognition of the historical importance of aesthetic experience that supposedly transcends sociopolitical relations, whereas crypto attempts to produce value through the art of code and the power of electricity. But both of these are just differing ideological fig leaves for the actual source of value — human labor power.

Money for Nothing (Vicky Osterwell/Real Life)

Edited by dcom

wonderful. now I'm starting to feel repulsed by patreon for how it's creator praises facebook, twitter, and the rest of the brainwashing machine for "trying to be the best at getting creators paid" and says that now 75% of kids aged 6 to 17 years old want to be an online video creator like it's an amazing thing while calling it a cute "naive optimism". where the hell are we headed?