IGNORED

Breakcore thread

Limo

Since I'm still on a Renoise bender I went looking for good, fun breakcore and couldn't really find any.

Anyone have suggestions?

Here's something along the lines of what I'm looking for:

On 2/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, Adamovich said:

Most of that is quite 2007, indeed. Somehow managed to miss drumcorps, though, so thanks ?

27 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

YES CHECK THIS BAD MUVVA

https://offmenutrecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-house-of-the-sloth

Some cracking samples used in this too!

YES

On 2/23/2021 at 5:59 PM, Adamovich said:

Ik love breakcore but i just do notttt get the appeal of people like Bong ra or drumcorps. They are to me every bad element of the genre portrayed as music artists

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, thumbass said:

Ik love breakcore but i just do notttt het the appeal of people like Bong ra or drumcorps. They are to me every bad element of the genre portrayed as music artists

What the fuck are you on about? 

"Hey, you can't DJ, you have long hair!"

1 hour ago, Adamovich said:

Also do you think, on a forum that is basically mainly about aphex twin, a man who has famously had long disgusting greasy ginger hair since 1991, that the problem is their hair?

2 hours ago, Adamovich said:

Wasn't talking about their hair of course, even though dreadlocks on white people is one of the most horrific things I've ever seen. What I meant was they seem to have embodied every factor of what could make the genre cringy.  From the terribly edgy death/ sex aesthetic in the track titles to the overall sound of the music. Literally the first thing i see when I look up bong-ra for example is the track 'sp66d d6mon (666mph mix)' I'm sorry but i just cant take that seriously. Also i feel like the overall quality of their music is pretty low compared to other breakcore artists so the tracks themselves don't make up for it either.

Edited by thumbass

First of all, thanks, all, for the recommendations so far. Lots to check out.

Second of all,

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

Literally the first thing i see when I look up bong-ra for example is the track 'sp66d d6mon (666mph mix)' I'm sorry but i just cant take that seriously.

I suspect that, like a lot of similarly themed cringy metal material, this isn’t *meant* to be taken seriously. It’s a joke. Whether you think it’s funny is another matter entirely but in my experience these references to gore and violence are made the same way as those overdriven gabba kicks: tongue firmly planted in cheek.

It’s not my sense of humor either, although I’ll admit to finding a “666mph mix” of a track called “speed demon” a tiny, tiny bit amusing.

40 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

First of all, thanks, all, for the recommendations so far. Lots to check out.

Second of all,

I suspect that, like a lot of similarly themed cringy metal material, this isn’t *meant* to be taken seriously. It’s a joke. Whether you think it’s funny is another matter entirely but in my experience these references to gore and violence are made the same way as those overdriven gabba kicks: tongue firmly planted in cheek.

It’s not my sense of humor either, although I’ll admit to finding a “666mph mix” of a track called “speed demon” a tiny, tiny bit amusing.

Of course, genre pastiche, diversity and not giving a fuck about anything is basically a breakcore philosophy. 

And this guy wants to treat breakcore seriously? LOL what a fucking noob.

• Haha 1

What need is there for breakcore beyond Venetian Snares? He has covered all relevant breakcore styles and is better than all other breakcore makers combined. Xanopticon is alright too, I guess, but haven't listened in a long while

28 minutes ago, Adamovich said:

Of course, genre pastiche, diversity and not giving a fuck about anything is basically a breakcore philosophy. 

And this guy wants to treat breakcore seriously? LOL what a fucking noob.

How is taking breakcore seriously different from taking IDM seriously? IDM is basically a gayer less self-ironic version of breakcore, at least I always thought of it that way.

Back on topic, this is another great album from the Peace/off label courtesy of Rotator

https://peaceoff.bandcamp.com/album/choose-your-poison-mine-is-hardcore

If you want silly samples check out Ole Olew Junkyard Remix

Edited by Soloman Tump

20 minutes ago, dingformung said:

What need is there for breakcore beyond Venetian Snares? He has covered all relevant breakcore styles and is better than all other breakcore makers combined.

See, that’s the thing. Occasionally I try to listen to him and every time I find him insufferable. Uncommonly for a breakcore artist he takes himself way, way too seriously.

His singing sucks, lol. But his older releases are great and a lot of fun. I have no way of knowing how seriously he takes himself but he does have a lot of very corny moments, I give you that. I kinda stopped following him at some point because he sang too much. Breakcore + singing is the most tasteless thing ever, which I guess is the point, I still hate it

His drum breaks are dope, though, and his music constantly entertaining.

I perceive other breakcore as a shittier version of Venetian Snares.