IGNORED

Daft Punk split after 28 years

Adamovich

that being said, homework was the album that got me into electronic music. in 6th grade i had a big crush on a girl at school and her older sister made her a copy of a tape of homework. she made me a copy and it completely changed my life. as a computer nerd (way before it was remotely cool), the music spoke to me and i spent countless nights listening to that while making websites on tripod/geocities.

• Like 6

feeling grateful i got to see them in 2007 (seattle show). it was right when i was leaving that youth/high school phase of my life so it was certainly a sort of landmark for me personally.

it was a really amazing show in its own right, despite that it certainly inspired a lot of the overproduced-edm-festival-drivel in the decade that came.  its good that they didn't follow that trend and turn it into a repeating vegas-style act, as im sure they had that opportunity to do so.

also Homework and Discovery are both fantastic albums.

Edited by markedone

Homework is one of the all time best debut albums.  i don't think they ever topped it, but Discovery and Random Access Memories were both solid.  RAM was especially impressive for its authentic 70's production, which was totally unexpected.  Not sure what the point of breaking up is when they have such huge gaps between releases anyway.  It's a bit like Portishead retiring.  

• Like 3
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

Really gutted about this, was a massive Daft Punk fan back in high school when Alive 2007 released, it was the first electronic band I listened to, my parents hated this kind of music at first, I had to listen to bangers such as Rollin' & Scratchin' at a very low volume... They led me to Ed Banger, which led me to Institubes which led me to Warp and the WATMM world.

I loved Random Access Memories and was very curious to hear what they would do next. Hope they will return to solo projects !

• Like 3

It was good while it lasted. I wouldn't be surprised if Radiohead won't release another album as well, btw. Times change ?

(Tangent: I was wondering what was going on with them only yesterday and noticed the "news" they would take a one year sabbatical. This was a year ago. So, what are the odds they're done as well...)

35 minutes ago, psn said:

Saw them live in 1997 and that was fucking brilliant. Big fan of the two first albums.

Speaking of 1997, they did a banging set in Glasgow day before or after actual Daft Punk gig, can't remember

loads of live mixing with Rolands etc, amazing House stuff

2 minutes ago, scumtron said:

I don’t understand why it was inevitable. Was there any bad blood at the end? Sad news. Enjoyed most of their stuff, and I was also quite comfortable with the RAM shift in style.

No bad blood. It just felt like after RAM success and earning millions of dollars they would be happy enough to be done with over two decades of this robotic formula and move on with their lives. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1