IGNORED

Daft Punk split after 28 years

Adamovich

2 hours ago, Plum said:

Without sounding a bit Skytree, it was almost spiritual.

You use that man's name in vain again and I will fucking cut you.  Skytree was the best of us.   

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

DOOM dies.
Sophie dies.
Daft Punk breaks up.

Soon to come:

Aphex Twin goes missing without explanation, police unable to find him.
Burial retires from music after his album planned for release in 2025 gets leaked.
Planet Mu headquarters burn down without explanation, hundreds of album masters lost in the blaze.
Bjork announces retirement after her child passes.
Famed DAW developers "Ableton" announce their closure and warn that all copies of Live 8 and higher will be render functionless by May 18th.
Thom Yorke passes away on the 25th of August.
Boards of Canada follows suit of daft punk, posting a mysterious video implying breakup on November 21st.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Farnsworth 1

3 minutes ago, NewYorkNowhere said:

DOOM dies.
Sophie dies.
Daft Punk breaks up.

Soon to come:

Aphex Twin goes missing without explanation, police unable to find him.
Burial retires from music after his album planned for release in 2025 gets leaked.
Planet Mu headquarters burn down without explanation, hundreds of album masters lost in the blaze.
Bjork announces retirement after her child passes.
Famed DAW developers "Ableton" announce their closure and warn that all copies of Live 8 and higher will be render functionless by May 18th.
Thom Yorke passes away on the 25th of August.
Boards of Canada follows suit of daft punk, posting a mysterious video implying breakup on November 21st.

That’s my booooy! As long as Ae are functional everybody else can vanish! ???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, AnwarAutokino said:

I have similar memories of that time, remember being blown away by Alive 2007 as well (that was back in middle school, wasn't into electronic music that much back then apart from a few one-offs), and yeah the whole Daft Punk -> Ed Banger -> Warp -> Rephlex/Hyperdub/Planet Mu/etc. evolution applies to me as well

Looking back, I think the whole robot persona thing and their visual aestheatic was a big part of their appeal for me as well, they seemed to distance themselves from the usual pop stars where it was all about looks/attractiveness (nothing new of course, but that was way before I was exposed to more private/reclusive artists like Afx or BoC)

Oh gosh, Daft Punk were certainly the same gateway into other labels for me.

I was a super-impressionable youngster in Australia. No MTV, but we had the likes of rage and Video Hits playing on the weekend. I will always remember being highly captivated by the music and video for Around The World. It was so alien, so funky, so different to anything else being played at the time. Listening to Homework for the first time absolutely floored me. Truly a formative experience of getting into electronic music and loving unique aesthetics within that. Interstella 5555 was the first anime I saw and elevated that genre of media to another level for me. Daft Punk opened up possibilities. Plugged them heaps into the old last.fm and getting recommended the likes of Air, Justice, Cassius and Boards of Canada off the back of them. 2007's Alive Tour was my first ever concert, just turned 18 for an 18+ only show and it simply felt like the stars aligned for that one. Absolutely gutted about the news, but they really did go out on top. 

3 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

I too remember LCD Soundsystem calling it quits in 2011 lol

Actually I think Daft Punk is truly done, I'm getting sincere "hey we're officially not doing this anymore, thanks" vibes akin to R.E.M. calling it quits. I appreciate them making it official.

As much as feel for sincere fans hoping for another tour I'm neither shocked nor particularly saddened. They've been pretty leisurely since the early 00s, raking in residual and merch money (and IIRC they were always fairly well off kids). 

It'd be cool if they do some house tracks as solo projects, their 12" under other aliases are among the best they've ever made

Their side projects were fucking brilliant too! Listened to Le Knight Club and TB's solo work for a very intense period of time. Funky as sin.

As for my own contribution to this thread.... 

1 hour ago, markedone said:

2f0frl9pidm51.jpg
boc fans seeing this news

If BOC split up we would need similar helplines like when Take That split.

They were going to make a Daft Punk version of the game Lumines back in 2010, but were busy with the Tron: Legacy soundtrack.

And really, don't be sad - I am sure financially they didn't need to continue Daft Punk anymore...

I was pretty into Discovery in high school. Still like some tracks but it hasn't aged well for me. Homework holds up pretty well though (minus Around the World, sorry - it's a nice beat but I hate that fucking vocal loop so much).

6 hours ago, Kid Lukie said:

Oh gosh, Daft Punk were certainly the same gateway into other labels for me.

Same here, albeit for me Chemical Brothers were the most direct. But Daft Punk and Basement Jaxx were gateways to house and disco-tinged dance music I had never been exposed to previously. I still remember the day I saw "Digital Love" on MTV in 2000/2001 when I was living in Suffolk. One of those music videos and songs I had burned in my memory for years before I tracked it down again. As much as they've become this annoying pop culture reference point for normies and techbros who splurge on their merch they def contributed a lot and were legit DJs and producers. They pretty much forged the fidget house / electro house sound of the 00s via Ed Banger Records and DFA and those other indie dance labels that help push back on the increasingly sterile (IMO) trance and proghouse sounds that dominated at the time. 

• Like 1