IGNORED

Daft Punk split after 28 years

Adamovich

I have come here to pay my respects.

Thank you Daft Punk for your choonage over the ages.  I wish you each the best, and I hope your respective $70,000,000 net worth is enough to live at least okay.  I know- electronic music was hard to make money from, but hang in there- and don't be ashamed to work at McDonald's just to get by!  You didn't make much money, but you changed lives.  And that's all that matters.

I would say that Daft Punk had a wonderful path of a career, and it was cool to see their transformation as artists.  Hard to believe the TRON Legacy soundtrack was by the same people who wrote Around The World.  Most people stay pretty tight to their styles, but Daft Punk kept progressing and succeeding in moving asses and hearts.  Photek is an example of someone who was legend, then kept progressing, but it just wasn't as good.  Fatboy Slim got stuck in his ways, and Prodigy progressed only up until they were shit.  Moby came from the underground and shot to space, never to return.  Last I heard, he was selling juice.  Squarepusher put lights on his head and has several maxed out Daft Punk costume shop punch cards, so it's embarrassing even just typing his moniker out- all that Warp money can never repair the damage done.  Anyway- There's really only a handful of artists who started in the underground and rose to the skies and kept changing and grasping the background vibez of the ether and crystallizing them for the masses- and do it all successfully without being a shadow of their former selves.  Daft Punk was basically a perfect career, and I respect their efforts and path.

What a fucking crazy ride.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, ascdi said:

ctrl-f interstella 5555 not found wtf?!

It's cool and I'm glad it exists.. but Discovery is a better album than the animation is as accompaniment, if that makes sense. I saw it years later tho so my idea of Discovery is less tied to it than some maybe.

Electroma however is an awesome homage to visual imagery that inspired them. It's basically their take on that watmm thread 'Eyecandy movies that won't break your brain' and I love it for that.

Edited by markedone

Tori Letzler here says she's 'heard lots of rumblings that they're recording an album' and she's apparently in the biz to some extent. could just be rumors ofc, but it caught my ear because of the theatrics of the band so far... sorta in the back of my head i was wondering if there's some sorta trickery going on, them 'ending' Daft Punk but still writing music together or something... Daft Punk but without the robot personas or whatever... just pure speculation on my part tho

video should be queued at about 30:15 where she mentions that.

16 minutes ago, xox said:

Where the hell have you been maan?!

Hello!!!  Yah, I know...  I've been working on music for the past ages.  I keep being reminded of this place due to trying to live the IDM Dream- but also due to charges to my PayPal account, haha.  But yah, I gotta find some solution to browse this place on mobile with no photo auto loading, as I'd drain my mobile data usage in a couple days if I browsed on mobile. 

I "left" due to focusing on working on music or some conceptual shit like that, but I gotta get back.  I do miss this place!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

On 2/23/2021 at 1:16 PM, Braintree said:

They've been alright over the years. Very hit or miss for me. That "Get Lucky" song really needed to shut the fuck up that summer.

Did you ever see A Walk in the Woods ? Kristen Schaal shows up as this annoying hiker and at one point she's just singing "get lucky" outloud to herself while they are trying to immerse themselves in the Appalachian woods

1 hour ago, joshuatxuk said:

Did you ever see A Walk in the Woods ? Kristen Schaal shows up as this annoying hiker and at one point she's just singing "get lucky" outloud to herself while they are trying to immerse themselves in the Appalachian woods

That's perfect. I was working a lot of A/V gigs when that was out and had to play it a lot at events, plus it was in advertisements, and every bar I went to. I remember riding my bike around and hearing it coming out of someone's car and thinking "GIVE IT A FUCKING REST ALREADY."

Same shit happened with Pharrell later that year.

Sometimes I hate YouTube and it's supposedly clever algorithms.

I accidentally clicked on one of the videos in this thread.

Now my timeline is infected with the musical equivalent of Herpes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for their Human After All album. I know it got a lot of hate in the music press and not many fans reference it as a milestone but it's easily their 'weirdest' release. Tunes like Technologic are catchy yet ominous at the same time.

Oh and managed to seem them live back in 2007 with the pyramid stuff on set and the bass from Television Rules the Nation heard live was pretty nice.

Discovery has some stand out tunes - probably peaked at that point.

Edited by Dale

19 hours ago, ignatius said:

they did buy a massive Modcan A series Modular for the Tron Legacy sound track... it's nice to know it's in the world.. existing. 

1699_tron_can_2.jpg

they blew it up tho

Edited by nikisoko
typo
  • Farnsworth 1

2 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

i accidentally clicked a vid of the genius prodigy talent jacob collier singing the flintstones theme and now youtube thinks this is the music of my life and i am his biggest fan

youtube music algo only has two modes: "genre cover of iconic 20th century song" and "chill themed beats to study to", the latter of which is like the cold, dark winter phase of nostalgic downtempo

Spoiler

spring phase: 90s BoC, a sense of mystery & discovery

summer phase: 00s Indie pop, an explosion of interest

fall phase: 10s vaporwave, a pensive, intellectualized deconstruction of the movement

winter phase: 20s cynical algorithm exploitation, a rigid formula has developed

• Sad 2

that flintstones cover is fucking dope though - won him a grammy award along with a 2nd one for this

his original compositions suck balls though which is sad considering he has some of the best ears on the planet and borderline superhuman music skills in general

yeah this has nothing to do with daft punk but who cares, they sucked anyway  :trollface:

Man does that bring back deep memories to see that date and design. I'm really thankful you took the time to dig that up.

Homework was a big album for me then too. It came out in January but it didn't make it around here until that Spring. '97 just huge all around (RDJ album, Hard Normal Daddy, Lunatic Harness, Chiastic Slide, wowwowweewow)

*old men discussing weird music from the 90s. Now all that "weird" music is vanguard and most of 'em rich af currently. I bet at least 100 million USD net worth with those names. 

• Like 3