IGNORED

Soundcloud vs Youtube?

TheBro

I'm tending to prefer Youtube these days for uploading tunes. I know its a bit of a pain having to create a video even its basic but I'm finding the audience is bigger etc and there's no limit. I'm just not seeing a huge benefit in Soundcloud much anymore. Certainly not prepared to pay £7.50 when I already have a Youtube Premium account!!! Thoughts???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

if you find yourself photoshopping yourself in weird poses over some plant filled recording studio for the video icon, it's time to get some help

Eh lol?

17 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

i just meant like you try to become a youtube influencer or whatever ?

but in all seriousness, soundcloud is sad these days

Nah not for me. I just upload my tunes to Youtube generally. ? I've been on Youtube since 2006 so it's been a long long time. I do have videos where I'm in it but they're usually always about equipment with me demonstrating it poorly ha ha!!! 

I upload my stuff (especially experiments and nonpolished turds) to Soundcloud, and I tend to listen to stuff off there very often.

I still have some things on Youtube like all the streams we do together with Tubular Corporation:

I really prefer soundcloud though, and I am OK for paying for it because Youtube is free thanks to Google spying on everything and selling ads to everyone so would rather not participate in that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nikisoko said:

if you find yourself photoshopping yourself in weird poses over some plant filled recording studio for the video icon, it's time to get some help

This sounds like what Legowelt would do but I guess it's not actually him uploading his own music to youtube.

Spoiler

I mean

fff64c98.jpg

a2480366229_10.jpg

Edited by zkom

i think legowelt lives in a mystical world full of magical old synths and exotic plants, whereas the influencer thing is taking whatever new synth is in need of marketing and demoing the raw oscillator tones and generic filter sweeps on a desk with a cute little succulent or two in a geometric pot and like a tarot card in the corner or a little whimsical figurine and a small stack of vintage hardcover books.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

demoing the raw oscillator tones and generic filter sweeps on a desk with a cute little succulent or two in a geometric pot and like a tarot card in the corner or a little whimsical figurine and a small stack of vintage hardcover books

holy shit this pretty much describes every indie loft synth set i attended circa 2015-2018. just throw in a quartz crystal somewhere

• Like 1

I have no idea how to network or market or whatever you want to call it in youtube so I get basically zero listens to my own tracks because nobody searches for them. Soundcloud and Bandcamp seem much easier in that regard. Probably I'm also doing it wrong. I have only one drum machine and a dying parsley in my "home studio" at the moment, but I don't think that's the problem.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, zkom said:

I have no idea how to network or market or whatever you want to call it in youtube so I get basically zero listens to my own tracks because nobody searches for them. Soundcloud and Bandcamp seem much easier in that regard. Probably I'm also doing it wrong. I have only one drum machine and a dying parsley in my "home studio" at the moment, but I don't think that's the problem.

Hello, I am a totally random but reliable online person, want to boost your visibility and your likes and subscriptions? Pay for my totally legit service!

Also, if you are looking for any of the many hot singles I definitely know in your area, hit me up! I am totally into the music thing genre you are making!

The two above examples sum up 99% of my "fans" on soundcloud. The 1% left, I love you forever and thanks for listening!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, thawkins said:

Hello, I am a totally random but reliable online person, want to boost your visibility and your likes and subscriptions? Pay for my totally legit service!

Also, if you are looking for any of the many hot singles I definitely know in your area, hit me up! I am totally into the music thing genre you are making!

These types usually stop following me in a day or two because I never follow back.

Also I've had Condoleezza Rice following me in Soundcloud for years which is nice.

Spoiler

I have no idea if it is one of you bastards from WATMM.

hey yo I never listen to music on youtube unless I have to since it's filled to the brim with annoying commercials.

6 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

hey yo I never listen to music on youtube unless I have to since it's filled to the brim with annoying commercials.

AdBlock fixes that:sorcerer:

1 hour ago, Silent Member said:

hey yo I never listen to music on youtube* unless I have to since it's filled to the brim with annoying commercials.

*on my phone

SFWP: I just realized I do too much of my music listening on my phone headset combo.

Edited by Silent Member

21 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

*on my phone

SFW: I just realized I do too much of my music listening on my phone headset combo.

Vanced is the droid you are looking for then. ?

• Thanks 1

I pay for Youtube Premium that way I can play tunes without any hassle walking about or down the street or at home or wherever. For me Youtube smashes all the other services for music.

On 3/5/2021 at 11:48 AM, nikisoko said:

clownshow

I have no opinion on the first guy (can't remember his channel name, is it once upon a synth?), and I understand Cuckoo somehow irrationally enrages people (why?), but Benn Jordan has some very interesting content on his channel, and Cenk.. well them's fighting words if you think his only contribution is being a "synth influencer with plants". 

Also, set dressing is fun.

1 minute ago, modey said:

I have no opinion on the first guy (can't remember his channel name, is it once upon a synth?), and I understand Cuckoo somehow irrationally enrages people (why?), but Benn Jordan has some very interesting content on his channel, and Cenk.. well them's fighting words if you think his only contribution is being a "synth influencer with plants". 

Also, set dressing is fun.

i dont watch their videos. i just see the screencaps show up all the time.

4 hours ago, modey said:

It's branding. Why is it such a horrible thing that they're making their videos recognisable?

horrible is a strong word. it looks like they all took the same marketing seminar and are cargo-culting the same ideas all in order to compete with each other. and for what? just in general i find youtube personalities repulsive in their helping push the consumerism, fetishization and commodification of music/music equipment.

it used to be that demos like this were done by some sad dude at roland or wherever.  now its some sad dude doing it for free or hopes to 'build a brand', which is just a dream that youtube is selling to convince people to waste their time/lives doing this kind of stuff. at the end of the day, the only one coming out on top is youtube. the world would be better off of these people were spending their free time making music with this gear and honing their craft instead of demoing it. 

• Like 1