IGNORED

Soundcloud vs Youtube?

TheBro

Well, many of them do create work outside of the youtube demos. I mean, Cenk actually works for Elektron, for example. And Benn is a pretty legit professional musician. 

And even the ones who are making content as their primary "thing" are likely making most of their money through Patreon, Gumroad, online education sites etc. As sad as it is, it's becoming harder to make money just from chucking an album on Bandcamp every now and then. 

One thing I agree with you about is the consumerism aspect; I've only just started to become aware of how easily influenced I am by a good synth review, so I tend to stay away from a lot of them unless I'm looking for something specific. But most of the synth youtubers out there do more than just demo gear; again I'll reference Benn because he has a lot of interesting things to say about fairness and gatekeeping in electronic music, and I respect him for that.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stickfigger said:

Say what you want about the others but stay away from my Loopops (and cenk who doesn't belong in this list)

if someone shows up on my youtube feed with their face and a synth and a plant, it's up for grabs. im not saying anything about the quality of the videos because im not watching them.

• Haha 1

I take a nuanced view.

I don't really follow youtubers and people building a brand or a channel, but I respect the people who do it in order to kind of have their own TV show or some other regular broadcast. After all, we're doing a weekly stream now with Tubular Corporation and I guess this makes me a streamer too in a way.

What I hate and detest about this situation is that the machine is built upon engagement and keeping clicks going. This sucks for the authors because there is a constant pressure to make more content, make it more clickable, more engaging, shill for more stuff, search for financing. If you do not do this, you will drop in rankings, you get less views and less cash. There's occasional leaks from the platforms themselves, like one inverview revealed that Instagram is going to promote your stuff more if you use all of the features you have on there and you make like 5 reels or whatever per day.

The barrier to entry basically does not exist so you are competing with literal millions who also want a piece of the pie. For the platform (Youtube-twitch-tiktok-instagram) they win anyway - all they care is that they have a steady stream of people who want to make it and the numbers are so much in their favor that they can get away by paying the bare minimum to the content creators while profiting enormously from selling ads and profiling data etc.

This situation also sucks for the viewers. Since the platforms are encouraging a certain kind of video (the one that the algorithms favor essentially), then you are going to have more content that "fits the mold". The video preview shots (c.f. "uber driver sucked me off?!?!") are the best example. As a personal example, I like gear videos where the person is not talking, instead they play around with it in creative ways. However, this means that the person can't Build A Brand (what a toxic concept) because it is not personalized and special enough. So as an end result, we do not see this kind of videos too much.

Hate the game, not the players, basically.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2021 at 2:26 AM, zkom said:

I have no idea how to network or market or whatever you want to call it in youtube so I get basically zero listens to my own tracks because nobody searches for them. Soundcloud and Bandcamp seem much easier in that regard. Probably I'm also doing it wrong. I have only one drum machine and a dying parsley in my "home studio" at the moment, but I don't think that's the problem.

That's OK, if you're doing "marketing yourself on the Internet" right then you're doing "being a human being" wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

The deal with the whole youtube thumbnail shittery is that it's statistically proven that certain types of thumbnails get some consistent 20-30% better engagement or something insanely significant like that. most youtubers can't ignore this kind of simple economic win. Yeah it pisses off millennials and boomers but it provides enough of an engagement swing it's worth it. I just watch who I know I like even though a lot of them have started cargo culting some horrible thumbnail patterns. The video content stays more or less the same with or without the horrible thumbnails.

On 3/3/2021 at 7:08 PM, Cryptowen said:

i use https://www.tunestotube.com/

i don't bother properly tagging my yt uploads or anything tho. basically the only reason i put anything up there is because i'm paranoid of losing my stuff & thus will upload it anywhere that doesn't take much effort & is (relatively) unlimited space

Yeah i used picosong as a web archive for my stuff and the went offline a few years ago. Sad day. I lost like 300+ tracks 

On 6/7/2021 at 3:54 AM, Bubba69 said:

The deal with the whole youtube thumbnail shittery is that it's statistically proven that certain types of thumbnails get some consistent 20-30% better engagement or something insanely significant like that. most youtubers can't ignore this kind of simple economic win. Yeah it pisses off millennials and boomers but it provides enough of an engagement swing it's worth it. I just watch who I know I like even though a lot of them have started cargo culting some horrible thumbnail patterns. The video content stays more or less the same with or without the horrible thumbnails.

Engagement, what a cursed word.