IGNORED

X4

cern

Yes! This track deserves to be hyped - My god it is a beast! and my friend called it "Nice ambient techno" wich I think was very funny but pretty fair!

Just listen to that acid bits around 3:30... And listen to that long and tasty Outro! Mindblowing!
Someone on Watmm said that Autechre only uses Monitors when they mix but I think this is totally BS - cus small layers and sounds is heard easy with closed back headphones that are almost impossible to hear with speakers/monitors. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

Surprised it took this long to have a thread for it.. a true beast! 

Imagine to hear a live set like this!

I like the "Musique concrète" Live stuff but this is totally for the ravers!

The music has changed from Onesix to Sign and Plus and I think the Live sets will do also. 

:music:

Definitely the standout track on Plus for me. I don't think I've listened to either Sign or Plus the last two months though. Normally I'd be listening to a new Ae release exclusively for the first six months after it's out.

• Like 1

That kick in or change @ the 4.52 mark (and especially the one @ 7.42) sends a chill down my spine when I hear it at times. When stuff does that I know, personally, it's a special track for me. It's very emotional, one of my favs off of these last two releases. ♥² 

• Like 2

Definitely my favorite track out of both SIGN and PLUS. Going to have to give those both another listen soon.

• Like 3

On 3/5/2021 at 2:57 PM, __f37d1-_ said:

That kick in or change @ the 4.52 mark (and especially the one @ 7.42) sends a chill down my spine when I hear it at times. When stuff does that I know, personally, it's a special track for me. It's very emotional, one of my favs off of these last two releases. ♥² 

Yeah I totally feel those bits and when you really feel the tempo when the claps/snares parts comes after 2 minutes in.. I was just "Whoa here we go!" then I looked up and saw that the track is over 12 minutes! So perfectly made. 

Sometimes it feels like the longest tracks are the best Ae tracks because with long repetitions and many soundsources it devolopes a better listen experience if It goes off with a fair amount of time if you know what I mean?

:music:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't catch this topic when it started, but yeah +1  for this track. 

On 3/6/2021 at 5:53 PM, cern said:

sends a chill down my spine when I hear it at times. When stuff does that I know, personally, it's a special track for me. It's very emotional, one of my favs off of these last two releases

exact same feeling here

LOL don't get me wrong, I like all kinds of noisy shit. 7FM ic doesn't bother me in the slightest. But sometimes a sound just rubs you the wrong way. And it doesn't make sense to me as an aesthetic choice. Still, pretty good track.

31 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

So I guess you all genuinely enjoy that noise in the first 3 mins of the track? 

i actually dont mind those high frequencies that I assume youre referring to. gonk steady one has similar harshness going on for much longer. 

but its actually the gurgling sound after 3+ mins that bothers me in X4.  they sound like a tribute to grindcore / gutteral vocals (of which sean played some on the marathon dj streams)

so yeah.. x4 is a weird track, i like some aspects but cant get into others

• Like 1

Since the floodgates have been opened to get specific about this track, I like it, but conversely it's after 3 minutes all the way to 6:53 that I find it hard to enjoy, with the relentless snare on the 2 for so long. The rest of the "bits" of the track have cool rhythmic variation, but for some reason I get tired of that beat going for so long in this instance. It's weird because tonnes of music utilises that kind of repetition, and I love it, and there's loads else changing across those minutes in this track - but yeah, the relentless boom-tshhh boom-tshhh beat gets to me from 3 mins to 6:53 (where it finally shifts) - even with the timbre of the "snare" changing as it does. I found weirdly Syro was like that after a while, with Aphex regularly resorting to a snare or clap hitting on the regular 2/4, and it got on my nerves in that album after a few too many tracks of it in the latter half. Obviously Autechre and the rest of 'Plus' doesn't fall into that. And obviously a beat like that can work and is a stable in most modern western music. There's plenty of other Autechre tracks with the same drum placement that still feel exciting, so I don't get why it feels that way here. The switch up at 6:53 is lush though...

Edited by Lianne
  • Like 2

Interesting point of view people having on this track..

From 3-7 minutes in is the fucking peeking of the track: the main rave! Like an ADSR curve it is a clearly decaying part that laters shifting towards the long and soft end.
If the track excluded those 4 minutes in the middle it had been pretty boring. 

gurgling sound? Grindcore? eh do we listen to the same track? 

So this track reminds you of this? ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

So I guess you all genuinely enjoy that noise in the first 3 mins of the track? 

Yeah, but keep in mind Sean and Rob are elderly men at this point so what sounds quite loud and abrasive to us probably sounds muffled and far in the distance to them. They can't even hear half the sounds in their own tracks.

• Sad 2

12 hours ago, Lianne said:

Since the floodgates have been opened to get specific about this track, I like it, but conversely it's after 3 minutes all the way to 6:53 that I find it hard to enjoy, with the relentless snare on the 2 for so long. The rest of the "bits" of the track have cool rhythmic variation, but for some reason I get tired of that beat going for so long in this instance. It's weird because tonnes of music utilises that kind of repetition, and I love it, and there's loads else changing across those minutes in this track - but yeah, the relentless boom-tshhh boom-tshhh beat gets to me from 3 mins to 6:53 (where it finally shifts) - even with the timbre of the "snare" changing as it does. I found weirdly Syro was like that after a while, with Aphex regularly resorting to a snare or clap hitting on the regular 2/4, and it got on my nerves in that album after a few too many tracks of it in the latter half. Obviously Autechre and the rest of 'Plus' doesn't fall into that. And obviously a beat like that can work and is a stable in most modern western music. There's plenty of other Autechre tracks with the same drum placement that still feel exciting, so I don't get why it feels that way here. The switch up at 6:53 is lush though...

woah there's still a girl on watmm

sup

*fixes hair*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

8 hours ago, cern said:

gurgling sound? Grindcore? eh do we listen to the same track? 

it sounds like a toilet bowl gargling at various points between 3-5 mins to me.  and i dont remember exactly which metal bands or genres sean played from the radio streams, but they had similar levels of gutteral gargling vocals.

I realy love the latter half of the track when it transitions and explores different timbres, so yeah its just and odd one for me overall.  Also @Lianne I agree with your syro comparison, the driving kick-snare feels has a similar vibe for me

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markedone said:

I realy love the latter half of the track when it transitions and explores different timbres, so yeah its just and odd one for me overall.  Also @Lianne I agree with your syro comparison, the driving kick-snare feels has a similar vibe for me

I'm definitely on the same page since my first listen:

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

I agree with the snare on 2 and 4 thing as well (another similarity with gonk steady one, too) - It feels a little topheavy. I feel like if they threw in some hi hats then it would make a big difference, but there's already a ton of other stuff filling in the sixteenths, so idk 

11 hours ago, Blir said:

Yeah, but keep in mind Sean and Rob are elderly men at this point so what sounds quite loud and abrasive to us probably sounds muffled and far in the distance to them. They can't even hear half the sounds in their own tracks.

I know you're probably kidding lol but can they really be that old? I'd think they've just barely cleared 50 if that. They were teens when they started out iirc. Here's hoping their ears last well into old age, it's still a little too early to just set The System loose on producing its own material for eternity   

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1