IGNORED

X4

cern

This track is so club friendly or "IDMish" as you can get and that is what they done since Lego Feet days. Nothing wrong with the 2 and 4 thing.. I mean if you guys hear a techno track would you say "oh no this track is 4/4."? Noise in the intro? Nothing compared with the high freqs in Uviol. 

The whole SIGN/PLUS is playful all togheter and album like Exai and Elseq is rock albums compared. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cern said:

This track is so club friendly or "IDMish" as you can get and that is what they done since Lego Feet days. Nothing wrong with the 2 and 4 thing.. I mean if you guys hear a techno track would you say "oh no this track is 4/4."? Noise in the intro? Nothing compared with the high freqs in Uviol. 

The minor criticisms in the thread don't seem to be issues any of us have with music altogether tho, it's just the way things come together in a certain track that either work or don't.  The beat in rale, for example, is way more monotonous than the secion of X4 being discussed here, but it totally works in that track.  And I could list endless examples of harsh noises in ae tracks that I really dig. Just something about this particular case that doesn't work for me. I might even like the same sound in a different context

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

The minor criticisms in the thread don't seem to be issues any of us have with music altogether tho, it's just the way things come together in a certain track that either work or don't.  The beat in rale, for example, is way more monotonous than the secion of X4 being discussed here, but it totally works in that track.  And I could list endless examples of harsh noises in ae tracks that I really dig. Just something about this particular case that doesn't work for me. I might even like the same sound in a different context

This is what I was (probably quite badly) trying to convey about the rhythmic element. I also love the "monotony" of Rale's beat, and even more so other tracks that do that, like a bunch of the steadier ones off EP7 - actually loads of Autechre tracks that are kind of linear designs that just "go" and have a simple, repetitive groove, at least in terms of beat *placement* (even if there's a tonne else being given in terms of texture, atmosphere, peripheral details etc.) I love minimal techno and when that works in this way, it really WORKS. 

• Like 1

To me it's a bit unfocused bunch of segments, sorta going thru the motions with fussy beats, acid gurgling etc (as in producing the track knowingly but uninspiringly) and i don't like the wandering melodies which are so strikingly switch to some, yet i really love that trembling passage starting at 4:52 with the new melody introduction and rotating in varying phrases until the piano outro. It makes the track shine.

That 90s, Tri Rep type of talking percussive layer in the beginning gives off a nostalgic vibe and with a lof of sudden changes the track almost feels like a summary of sorts

• Like 2

This thread prompted me to re-listen to this track and a bunch of other stuff from PLUS. I realized that I've mostly listened to this on the move, and while I listen with decent headphones I think I still wasn't getting as much out of it as I did yesterday just sitting and listening (with headphones). I enjoyed it quite a bit more. Sometimes I forget that the best Autechre listening experience involves giving the music my full undivided attention which is like... well nothing gets my full undivided attention these days lol

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

I like that 2/4 snare drop, it adds to the "being in a rush " feeling of the 1st part of the track, and even gives a bit of a speeding up.

"being in a rush because something bad is coming around so you want to escape" sort of thing....

the whole track swings between tragdey and hope,  in my mind

...the tilte might be a basic emoji, now that I see It....      X4      someone suffering, or being angry.    (X4)    ...more likely both.

Edited by neurone
  • Like 2

On 3/17/2021 at 1:02 AM, cern said:

From 3-7 minutes in is the fucking peeking of the track: the main rave! Like an ADSR curve it is a clearly decaying part that laters shifting towards the long and soft end.
If the track excluded those 4 minutes in the middle it had been pretty boring.

100%, the stuttering glitch sound that starts at 3:15 is my favorite part of the track and it unfolds so beautifully from there. A lot of the sounds in the middle remind me of Confield or Untilted era

The first few minutes are less memorable but they're important to the overall progression - the release at the end is so much sweeter contrasted with the tension of the screeching snare and anxious melody in the intro. I love how it opens with the melody kind of wandering lost without resolution, but then ends with such a clear, confident chord progression. it's like it's peeling back all these dense knotted layers and then it reaches the emotional core underneath and just basks in it

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
3 hours ago, Amen Lare said:

A solid case for that (probably top three in my book), but I regard M4 Lema as such

great track of course, really really good but a bit on the obtuse side for me to love deeply...tho it's perfect for what it is, and works well as the first track on SIGN.

• 1 year later...