IGNORED

The Mars Volta - La Realidad de los Suenos (18LP Boxset)

The Deloused demos album 'Landscape Tantrums' came out on spotify yesterday. It's fun to hear different versions of songs you know off by heart. While I love Deloused, that sounds a touch overproduced. These new demos have rawer vocals with more fx and you can actually hear the other players (the keys!!!). There are even some dub moments.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Polytrix said:

Individual albums now on sale. I got deloused and Frances. Ain't cheap but I adore these albums so probably last chance to get on vinyl without breaking the bank entirely:

https://cloudshillshop.com/

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Jesus, kinda breaking the bank already at $60-65 for a 2LP release. and the 3LP Bedlam is $65? That's a clear indication that they're overcharging for the 2LPs. Oh and Octahedron 2LP is $48, the cheapest one, which is still a lot for a 2LP. All this is better than what originals are going for, to be sure, but I'll pass. I love these albums but a) I haven't listened to them in ages, and b) it's not the kind of stuff I tend to play at home in the common space anyway. I'd be buying strictly for collecting purposes.

Yeah I kinda thought the same but it's like been top on my collection list for ages to get Deloused and seeing as it's been properly remastered I thought it was worth the punt. I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about the difference in remastering from originals to the news if you've got the box sets.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Poimandres said:

They're back! There's a listening booth going on right now with a new song, and it looks like an album and tour is imminent. Let's fucking go!

Oh shit. Looking into this ASAP.

5 hours ago, Richie Sombrero said:

New song sounds quite promising, meant to have latin influence but reminds me more of taiko drumming. Glad they are back. Alleged US tour this autumn then Euro festivals next year.

Oh, Where did you hear it?? I cannot find anything.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anyone listened to the new album? My first reaction was that it sounds like Maroon 5 playing in front of a Santana poster, which was harsh.
It is a well crafted album for what it is. I hope they get a little loose and weird on the next one though.

It's beautifully produced and some of the latin flourishes are nice, but it's not particularly interesting and hasn't grabbed me after 4-5 listens.

It's pretty close to what I expected it to be after following Omar's post Noctourniquet stuff (ipecac series and clouds hill tapes) and tbh I feel they've lost their mojo and it isn't coming back.

As a huge fan and collector, I've even cancelled my vinyl order. 

Fairly forgettable album, 2/5 from me.

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, gnarlybog said:

Has anyone listened to the new album? My first reaction was that it sounds like Maroon 5 playing in front of a Santana poster, which was harsh.
It is a well crafted album for what it is. I hope they get a little loose and weird on the next one though.

Haha that's a hilarious take, and not far off the mark frankly. 

It's okay, but definitely too clean for my tastes. Not enough guitar work, too many ballads, the whole album is pretty mid tempo which doesn't give it a lot of variety. I can have fun with a poppier Mars Volta but I dunno about this. Some of the later Omar solo albums like Zappopan have plenty of bite and would have made better bones for a Volta album but I guess going for something new is better than being a poor rehash of old highs. 

If you want some of the old manic energy, listen to Black Midi - Hellfire from a couple of months ago. 

• Like 2