IGNORED

Quentin Tarantino

no part of it

My Tarantino List:
01. Pulp Fiction (1994)
02. Reservoir Dogs (1992)
03. Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (2003, 2004)
04. Django Unchained (2012)
05. Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood (2019)
06. Jackie Brown (1997)
07. Four Rooms (1995)
08. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
09. True Romance (1993)
10. From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)
11. Death Proof (2007)
12. The Hateful Eight (2015)

• Like 3

Inglorious Basterds I found unwatchable due to the director's smugness smothering the whole thing.  See also Magnolia for a similar effect by PT Anderson.  Truly dreadful not just as film, but as any human endeavor.   

pulp fiction, jackie brown and once upon a time are the only real "good" ones. basterds is a lot of fun and holds up, especially the scene with mike myers lmao. the rest are decent, although i think django and hateful eight are career lows. could also be that jamie foxx and kerry washington are terrible actors. im convinced hateful eight was just a troll movie. shoot on 70mm film but then shoot only inside a small cabin set lol. what a bitch move. 

but as other people have said any of his films are more entertaining to watch than 90-95% of films made contemporaneously. and the discussion on whether he's not woke or not or whatever.. who cares

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, dingformung said:

What's wrong with Death Proof?

Nothing really, just that it was his most superficial film with less subtext and symbolism, and the fact that it was followed by two or three period-specific films made me assume it was going to be cheesy, plus Ennio Morricone said he was sloppy with the scores, so I didn't run to the theaters.   But I do love all of his films now.   I came back around for Hollywood, and caught up.   I loved ...Hollywood.  Laughed my ass off in the theaters.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hijexx said:

Might be misremembering but I think he recently said he might do another movie then retire from directing or maybe Hollywood was his last movie, something like that.

I recall him saying he will do a total of 10 movies, then maybe move on to focusing on writing.   

I have a story about Django actually, besides agreeing that it's generally underrated. it's the only film of his I've seen in a theatre, which was also the occasion for the worst date I've ever had.

I was seeing a girl I worked with (already a bad idea) and we decided to go catch a movie. I recall Seven Psychopaths was on at the time as well so I suggested either that or this new Tarantino western/slave joint that looked cool (always liked Jamie Foxx). due to timing issues Django looked like the better choice so I said how about that, and she agreed. then throughout the entire movie, she gasped, flinched and jumped two feet in the air every time someone was shot or there was a loud noise. some motherfucker is getting shot, cut or beaten down every two seconds in that movie so you can imagine what an hilariously good time that was. looking back on it I think she might've had some bad experiences in her past and just reacted poorly to violent content. not that she bothered to clue me in or to say something knowing she was walking into a Tarantino movie, and one with that subject matter. when it was over she just ran away after mumbling goodnight and we didn't speak much again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1

11 minutes ago, dr lopez said:

shoot on 70mm film but then shoot only inside a small cabin set lol. what a bitch move

hateful 8 borrowed a lot from  reservoir dogs, including plot points and the limited use of sets. reservoir dogs was on a limited budget but obviously just a stylistic choice in hateful 8.

i think a lot of what tarantino focuses on is wondering what the dialog is between all these characters during down time between the action. sometimes that really clicks with people like in pulp fiction but i can understand how hateful 8 was harder to get through.

i saw death proof in the theaters as part of the double feature. it was definitely an experience to go from planet terror, which was over the top, to death proof. a lot of people walked out.

1 minute ago, nikisoko said:

hateful 8 borrowed a lot from  reservoir dogs, including plot points and the limited use of sets. reservoir dogs was on a limited budget but obviously just a stylistic choice in hateful 8.

i think a lot of what tarantino focuses on is wondering what the dialog is between all these characters during down time between the action. sometimes that really clicks with people like in pulp fiction but i can understand how hateful 8 was harder to get through.

i saw death proof in the theaters as part of the double feature. it was definitely an experience to go from planet terror, which was over the top, to death proof. a lot of people walked out.

Yeah, not a huge fan of planet terror.

i could never get into jackie brown or kill bill for some reason, but i think the rest of his films are VERY good. (aware this is prob a really shitty thing to say on IWD)

also, partial hot take but i think once upon a time in hollywood is one of his best. can't say i've met many folks who'd share the same sentiment.

it's probably his best film if you remove the baggage of cultural impact and influence that pulp fiction carries today. watching the two back to back it's clear hollywood is the better film

• Like 1

17 hours ago, no part of it said:

His ties to Weinstein, his choice words about Polanski's rape victim in an interview with Howard Stern some years ago, his responsibility for Uma Thurman being injured during the filming of Kill Bill....  

I always suspected he got off lucky from the Weinstein case, there’s no way he’s not a sick freak as well. I remember an SNL sketch he did where the premise was he “jammed” every woman on his film set. Kind of like that creepy Cosby bit about Spanish Fly and drugging women.

Personally I like Kill Bill and Jackie Brown the most. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs are cool, but I've seen them so many times. 4 Rooms had a nice idea, it reminded me of a theater play in some way, but in the end it turned out kind of bland, idk, only watched it once. Haven't watched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood yet. Inglorious Basterds was quite fun, but for some reason Brad Pitt's accent and character really bothered me, except when he was speaking Italian ("Grazy") - that was fucking hillarious. The whole theatre scene with Landa is very funny.

For those who didn't like Hateful Eight check out the series version on Netflix. It's longer but has been divided into four "episodes". It's way better that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really? I thought it was way too long and uneventful in the first place, not eager to go back for a second round.

11 minutes ago, Squee said:

For those who didn't like Hateful Eight check out the series version on Netflix. It's longer but has been divided into four "episodes". It's way better that way.

Supposedly he’s gonna do that with Once Upon a Time as well.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, auxien said:

Pulp Fiction is good. Django was a mess and IB was okay at times.

Yeah, the days when he could write or say the N word in a script are over.

I actually hope his next film will be slow paced like Jackie Brown. Not that I dislike the fast paced style of the other movies but I think he is good at making calmer movies too and I wish there were more of them. He is virtuosic at using really corny elements of pop culture but contextualising them in a way that works

13 minutes ago, dingformung said:

I actually hope his next film will be slow paced like Jackie Brown. Not that I dislike the fast paced style of the other movies but I think he is good at making calmer movies too and I wish there were more of them. He is virtuosic at using really corny elements of pop culture but contextualising them in a way that works

That scene where Brad Pitt's character in Once Upon walks into the trailer looking for Bruce Dern made me so anxious that I really want to see what he could do with a straight up horror movie.

• Like 1

I like all of his movies but haven't seen the latest and thought Hateful 8 was really boring and a waste of my time. He uses the N word often enough to be problematic.

26 minutes ago, Braintree said:

I like all of his movies but haven't seen the latest and thought Hateful 8 was really boring and a waste of my time. He uses the N word often enough to be problematic.

i thought hateful 8 was kinda boring too. good as jennifer jason leigh is.. always good sam jackson, always good kurt russel.. i just didn't work as well as it should have. clunky. agree on the N word.  seemed like it could've been a good story about doomed fate and sort of a western take of some of the ideas in oliver stone's U-turn. or something.  and what's his name.. Wolton Goggins.. who i generally like was a bit too much of a caricature of himself. though maybe he just had shitty lines. other sam jackson and jennifer jason leigh's characters i didn't believe anyone else.. still i'll porbably watch it again eventually. maybe it'll be different. 

6 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Supposedly he’s gonna do that with Once Upon a Time as well.

He’s also writing it as a 2 part novel iirc? It will follow the movie plot in general but I don’t believe the outcome/end is the same.