IGNORED

Aphex already did it

marf

1 hour ago, dingformung said:

What kind of "post-African repetitions" is Stockhausen talking about? The repetitiveness and lack of BPM changes are the least African part about AFX' music. What's wrong with repetition anyway?

He only heard 'Digeridoo', think he was refering to the drums. I imagine he was looking down on it for being simple, uninteresting etc.

7 minutes ago, Key said:

He only heard 'Digeridoo', think he was refering to the drums. I imagine he was looking down on it for being simple, uninteresting etc.

TiL, Stockhausen didn't understand bangers. 

i hadn't listened to it in ages then rob hall released a mix "aesthetica eratica" and it drops in there perfectly. it really just sounds like a percussive acid filter jam. proper rave tune imo. but according to youtube comments:

fun fact, "He wrote "Digeridoo" to clear up his audience after a rave."

Spoiler

Edited by ignatius

don't make music for any reason other than you enjoy doing it. don't try and make money (or fame, recognition, respect etc) with it, or see it as any kind of way to provide a life, or measure how successful you are. just do it because you actually want to and it's fun. shit, don't even post it anywhere is my advice, just do it for you and maybe couple of close friends.

Edited by BCM
  • Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

9 hours ago, dingformung said:

What kind of "post-African repetitions" is Stockhausen talking about? The repetitiveness and lack of BPM changes are the least African part about AFX' music. What's wrong with repetition anyway?

I could have sworn your original post was a riff on this Stockhausen thing.

I retract my like.

Karlheinz Stockhausen is someone I think I need to get into eventually, just to have like a passing knowledge of what he was about. But then, I mean, I just can't deal with this. I just start picturing a bunch of megalomanic Germans drawing diagrams and making music that sounds like a bunch of plonks:

But on the subject people from the classical world interacting with Aphex Twin, Philip Glass did a collaboration with him that was both interesting and more sympathetic. Glass even did an orchestration of Icct Hedral:

19 hours ago, marf said:

Thinking about giving up music. It's been a constant in my life, but I look at Aphex's catalog and it's like what's the point? He's done it. Giving up music would allow me to concentrate on more concrete things. To pay the bills. I always feel two things tugging at me. Maybe it is time to pack it in

Can't tell if this is a joke?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

I was first introduced to the idea in "Effortless Mastery" by Kenny Werner which the OP might also benefit from reading? I've found it quite helpful over the years for this exact kind of thing

a few months ago i posted the audiobook for it in the jazz thread for the lulz (it's text to speech and 5 hours long - i listened to a portion of it though)

btw i'd like to clarify my point about listening to bebop first and free jazz second :

what i mean is, if you're interested in having a better understanding of how the language of music works and you're in the process of learning how it works, you're gonna waste your time if you skip bebop and jump straight to free improv. doing so won't help you get a better grasp of how music works because you'll be missing quite a few basic blocks of knowledge

music really is a language, or a language family if you prefer. when you learn a language (or a craft or anything basically), you learn bit by bit, from simple to more complex. well the same applies to music. you need to understand the basics first if you're to understand what's really going in any given piece of music. otherwise your understanding will remain superficial, just like listening to a foreign language you haven't learnt

it's like when the concept of negative harmony became a meme following jacob collier's interview on music theory and overnight everybody wanted to learn that shit when imo, there isn't much point in learning that if your knowledge of the basics is sketchy

btw i should mention that i'm no musician, i have no formal training apart from taking piano lessons for 4 years as a child, which i learned next to nothing from, and i sucked at the piano. also, i don't know much about jazz (or anything really but that's a different topic) nor am i particularly interested in it. much of the music i know i was introduced to by my big brother (he knows nothing about jazz but he's quite the fusion connoisseur so i was first introduced to fusion). and my understanding of music theory is rather limited, what i know i learnt from youtube vids

my personal goal is to continue learning theory and piano, which i took up again a few years ago and it was like learning from scratch despite the so-called training i had as a child (although i haven't played it in months sadly). i suck big time at it btw but that's due to a lack of practice

the reason i tell you all this shit about me is because i know i can come across as a condescending self-proclaimed music theory expert on the forum when really i don't know much theory, i don't know much music, i suck at making music and i suck at playing instruments. i just love music above all else and i love learning music theory because it's so much fun, it's like learning skateboard tricks (i used to skate a lot back in the days, pretty much sucked at it though). anyway sorry for the long post

• Like 2

11 hours ago, dingformung said:

did u really made that africa comment without having knowledge about stockhausen dissing on afx? such cringe dude...

FYI, DIDGERIDOOS DON'T COME FROM AFRICA U FUCKTWATS... AUSTRALIA DUDES, AUSTRALIA... TOTALLY DIFFERENT CITY...

FYI2 - i also thought a million times about quitting until i really did it... it is liberating somehow... maybe because i looked at it wrong... there's no point in making songs if you just encounter technical difficulties and can't get any fun out of it... and that's pretty much where i stand now... i start a new project, spit some ideas i've been mangling around in my head just to realize that i have no clue how to express those ideas in a software... i could go for hardware and instruments, hell, i tried, 4 years of piano, i think i play worse now than before... but i suck at sports and stuff where you need good motor skills so, i guess i'll never be able to close my eyes and bang some drums completely oblivious to everything and everyone around me... yeah that's my dream...

Edited by Tim_J
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Farnsworth 1

2 hours ago, BCM said:

don't make music for any reason other than you enjoy doing it. don't try and make money (or fame, recognition, respect etc) with it, or see it as any kind of way to provide a life, or measure how successful you are. just do it because you actually want to and it's fun. shit, don't even post it anywhere is my advice, just do it for you and maybe couple of close friends.

This

And when you start making music: Don't buy loads of gears, effects, VST etc it never ends.. Only makes u mad.
Take something cheap like free FM vst-plugin and make some nice instruments, sample it and make some nice tracks for yourself.. repeat.

Who cares what Stockhausen or African music has to do with Aphex Twin? Lol
I know real musicans that are playing on a professional level that thinks Aphex Twin and all electronic music stinks..
Music for you is not music for someone else. 

Aphex Twin also was also inspired of alot of musican lika Eric Satie.
He did not think "well I give up because Erik Satie has already made this". 

• Like 1

My advice is don't listen to other top artists in genres you're not familiar with, because after a while you'll be all like "Coltrane already didi it" "Debussy already didi it" "Enya already didi it" etc etc

Listen to some fucking rubbish music instead. Kaiser Chiefs. Blue. Gary Barlow. The Flashbulb etc

After a while you'll be so sick of it that you'll crank out some absolute barnstormers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

You should never listen to recordings of Stockhausens music or to what he said. You should only read and play his compositions, by interpreting his weird notes yourself using only your voice as instrumentation.

It helps to deal with daily anxiety attacks.

• Like 1