IGNORED

Aphex already did it

marf

well how about that? ding posting barry harris vids and shit. it appears he's learnt his lesson since last time

good-good-let-the-jazz-flow-through-you.

funny thing about harris is he constantly rants and shits on jazz schools, free jazz and bill evans. a true gatekeeper of bebop. his 6th diminished scale is the coolest rabbithole i've come across on youtube,  like there are channels solely dedicated to exploring its possibilities

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

He has a great way of talking and it's fun to follow his lectures even if I don't understand shit. I like how his students sometimes ask him questions just by playing their instruments, not by words, and he understands and replies. They are truly fluent with their instruments

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

well how about that? ding posting barry harris vids and shit. it appears he's learnt his lesson since last time

good-good-let-the-jazz-flow-through-you.

funny thing about harris is he constantly rants and shits on jazz schools, free jazz and bill evans. a true gatekeeper of bebop. his 6th diminished scale is the coolest rabbithole i've come across on youtube,  like there are channels solely dedicated to exploring its possibilities

Yeah, he's kind of a legend. The sixth diminished scale is a nifty thing and is also the basis of close-harmony big band arrangements (passing diminished chords).

But wait a minute, he doesn't like Bill Evans? Who doesn't like Bill Evans?

Also he played the piano in this:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArtificialDisco said:

But wait a minute, he doesn't like Bill Evans? Who doesn't like Bill Evans?

told you he was a gatekeeper. he's very stubborn, narrow-minded and hardcore believes in god 

taking this opportunity to repost this 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

told you he was a gatekeeper. he's very stubborn, narrow-minded and hardcore believes in god 

taking this opportunity to repost this 

Hehe, fair enough. Although the way he's talking about it, I can't dislike that, it's just the way he feels. Also, there might be some raw feelings there, being from a similar time as Bill Evans and seeing him get bigger than everyone else. Maybe a hint of jealousy, even...

27 minutes ago, ArtificialDisco said:

Hehe, fair enough. Although the way he's talking about it, I can't dislike that, it's just the way he feels. Also, there might be some raw feelings there, being from a similar time as Bill Evans and seeing him get bigger than everyone else. Maybe a hint of jealousy, even...

yeah he's obviously jealous because he sees himself and the musicians he admires as the real deal, and bill evans as this pale imitator/lesser musician who got way too much credit

• Like 1

On 6/11/2013 at 11:36 PM, LimpyLoo said:

Music theory isn't (or shouldn't be, at least) prescriptive: It's not designed to tell you what to do.

Rather, it's purpose is to look at the history of music and detect patterns and interpolate systems. It's essential purpose is so that everytime you sit down to play or compose music you don't have to reinvent the wheel, or so when you look at a keyboard you don't just see 12 random, unidifferentiated notes that you have no idea how to organize.

If you do delve into music theory, then don't let it limit what you do. In the battle between your ear and theory, your ear should always win out.

/thread

would it be

aphex already done it

• Like 1