IGNORED

Loraine James - Reflection

d-a-m-o

New album out on June 4 

"Loraine James comes with her second album for Hyperdub, made in the summer of 2020. Reflection is a turbulent expression of inner-space, laid out in unflinching honesty, that offers gentle empathy and bitter-sweet hope.
2020 was tough for Loraine; unable to tour and build on the success of For You And I, Loraine was prolific in the studio, self releasing, plus releasing the well received stepping-stone Nothing EP, which realised a unique pop sensibility she develops more here. Her 2020 listening habits - Drill and R&B seep through into Reflection too. In contrast to the brash splashes of For You And I and the grimey anger of Nothing, Reflection is pared down and confident, taking the listener through how the year felt as a young Black queer woman and her acolytes in a world that has suddenly stopped moving."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

just listened through again. Seriously disappointing given her past work. That stupid write up frames this album as an introspective look at our covid year or some shit. It feels the exact opposite of that, especially considering how introspective and “private” the first album was. On this one there are a bunch of lame “FEAT. _____” who mumble on about this and that, council flats and stopping police violence. zzzzzz. this is a really far away from even that EP Hmm that came out last year. boooooooo

Finally got to listening to this album yesterday. Good album, great producer. Thought the vocal tracks worked really, nice range of styles. (though struggled with the rap on the last track)

Just put this on again for another listen. Banging. "Simple Stuff" ❤️ 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon

On 6/10/2021 at 12:29 PM, dr lopez said:

just listened through again. Seriously disappointing given her past work. That stupid write up frames this album as an introspective look at our covid year or some shit. It feels the exact opposite of that, especially considering how introspective and “private” the first album was. On this one there are a bunch of lame “FEAT. _____” who mumble on about this and that, council flats and stopping police violence. zzzzzz. this is a really far away from even that EP Hmm that came out last year. boooooooo

So... you don't give a shit about systemic racism? What are you even saying here, doc?

no, saying I didn't enjoy the superficial and bland rap lyrics about stopping police violence in the context of this music doesn't mean i "don't give a shit about systemic racism." it was a critique of the music, not outside cultural movements that the music was referencing. that should be obvious.

Edited by dr lopez

My bad, sometimes struggle with telling people's tone. It sounded like the "zzzzzz" was directed at the subject even being brought up in the music. Sorry for reading your comment in bad faith, bud.