IGNORED

Zephyr Nova's drunken AMA

Zephyr_Nova

Together, no.  I have done shrooms, E, and pot.  Of those, I enjoy E.  Killing a bear while on E would be a trip.

I wonder how many murders take place ON EEEEEEE.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova
  • Burger 1

2 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

You don't enjoy pot?

Not usually.  It either makes me sleepy or psychotic.  There was one time where I smoked a fair bit and then listened to Squarepusher.  I had a very vivid vision of the beats manifesting themselves as coloured shapes being shot out of a Mario block.  That was very entertaining... possibly that was in combination with E.  I also did an edible with my last girlfriend, and the night was a haze of laughter and sex... so I guess that was a pretty good time.  But those are the only times where I recall having fun on pot.

• Farnsworth 1

6 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

It can't possibly be a D7 anything cause there's a C# in it lol

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:  i forgot the actual key of his chord when i did this, didn't read his post again and never checked the notes on my keyboard. my recollection was Ab instead of A. 

i guess it's actually a half step higher then, so a rootless Eb7(#11) in 1st inversion 

pls kill me now

10 hours ago, brian trageskin said:

:psyduck::psyduck::psyduck:  i forgot the actual key of his chord when i did this, didn't read his post again and never checked the notes on my keyboard. my recollection was Ab instead of A. 

i guess it's actually a half step higher then, so a rootless Eb7(#11) in 1st inversion 

pls kill me now

I'm starting to feel bad for you lol 

• Haha 1

The chances of me being familiar with a new album from ____ are very small.  I have clicked on King Vamp to see what you're referencing.  The vocals are grotesquely loud relative to the beats, which makes it almost unlistenable for me.  His flow is so rushed - needs to work on his groove before presenting his music to the world at large... but this vid has almost 3 mil views, so I guess I'm off base.  The appreciation for this is completely beyond me.  I do try to understand why popular music is popular... but yeah, I'm at a loss.  Did he kill someone?

34 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I'm starting to feel bad for you lol 

fuck i just had a look at my keyboard for once and was like, wtf was my thinking when i came up with that spelling of the chord flol. what an epic fail

i think i need some rest but i also just need to check the notes on the keyboard because visualizing and inverting the intervals in my mind didn't work at all. but i mostly blame the lack of sleep and the general state of confusion i've been in these last few days (kinda disoriented tbh - i'm ok though)

• Farnsworth 1

lol I didn't realize my chord selection was going to cause so much unrest.  I think of it as an A major with a minor 6 and an add 9.  But I don't know how someone who writes tab would transcribe that to indicate it's the 6 that's minor and not the third.  Therein lies the rub.

the worst part is that it's a pretty easy chord to analyze (like, for fuck's sake, it's just a fucking A augmented triad with a 9th, not really rocket science is it) but in my hubris i thought i could visualize the notes in my head, invert them and easily find alternative interpretations of the chord when i failed miserably at it lol. i should have checked on the keyboard right from the start

Edited by brian trageskin

The other aspect of the chord that's important is that it starts with the low A followed by the octave, followed by the interesting intervals.  That's something I wouldn't know how to put across in tab either, and it wouldn't achieve the same effect if, for instance, the fifth were in there... which would create an undesirable dissonance with the minor 6.  I love that the chord is relatively simplistic in that there's only 4 different notes (octave aside) and yet somehow there's so much complexity within that.  Is it happy, is it sad, is it undergoing a psychotic break from reality?  The totality of the human condition is embedded somewhere in that chord.

3 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

The other aspect of the chord that's important is that it starts with the low A followed by the octave, followed by the interesting intervals.  That's something I wouldn't know how to put across in tab either, and it wouldn't achieve the same effect if, for instance, the fifth were in there... which would create an undesirable dissonance with the minor 6.  I love that the chord is relatively simplistic in that there's only 4 different notes (octave aside) and yet somehow there's so much complexity within that.  Is it happy, is it sad, is it undergoing a psychotic break from reality?  The totality of the human condition is embedded somewhere in that chord.

wanna ruin that chord though? play it then lower the #5 a half-step to get a perfect 5th. there you go, blandest resolution ever  :trollface: 

53 minutes ago, brian trageskin said:

the worst part is that it's a pretty easy chord to analyze (like, for fuck's sake, it's just a fucking A augmented triad with a 9th, not really rocket science is it) but in my hubris i thought i could visualize the notes in my head, invert them and easily find alternative interpretations of the chord when i failed miserably at it lol. i should have checked on the keyboard right from the start

I honestly thought you were just trollin with that meme anyway lol. Isn't this whole conversation of ours kind of a troll on the whole thread? It really is just an A augmented triad with a ninth on it. My big posts about nomenclature and chord/scale relationships were all just unnecessary theory stuff based on imaginary situations where you need to know more about the context of the chord (i.e. no one asked) lol

1 hour ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

lol I didn't realize my chord selection was going to cause so much unrest.  I think of it as an A major with a minor 6 and an add 9.  But I don't know how someone who writes tab would transcribe that to indicate it's the 6 that's minor and not the third.  Therein lies the rub.

It's neither, it's the (augmented) fifth of the chord. Calling it major anything is just going to confuse people

Edited by toaoaoad

4 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

It's neither, it's the (augmented) fifth of the chord. Calling it major anything is just going to confuse people

How else do you get across that the major third is in there?  Does that automatically get added in an aug chord?

Just now, Zephyr_Nova said:

How else do you get across that the major third is in there?  Does that automatically get added in an aug chord?

Yep you got it, an augmented triad contains a major third. Actually technically each note is a major third above the last (the fifth is a major third above the third). The augmented scale presents all kinds of trippy possibilities with tonalities a major third apart

Edited by toaoaoad

34 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

I honestly thought you were just trollin with that meme anyway lol

i wish this had been the case but no, i was genuinely trying to find alternative interpretations of the chord but i got all mixed up because i overestimated the reliability of the pictures in my head

to be transparent with you, i don't know my scales, i know c, i know the modes of c, and everytime i have to analyze a chord, i transpose it in c in my mind. which is what i did with zeph's chord but for some reason i remembered the key center as being Ab, then i mixed up the intervals etc 

tomorrow i'll sit at the keyboard properly (which i haven't played for months) and i'll check how i came up with those chords in my head, which should only take a minute after a good night sleep 

but anyway, at the end of the day it's just a specific voicing of the whole tone scale as toad pointed out. at least that's the easiest way to relate that chord to a scale

Edited by brian trageskin
  • Like 1