IGNORED

Polyend Tracker - Sonic LAB Presentation with Bogdan Raczynski

pizza

ended up watching this. was pretty cool how he just broke out a bogdan melody right in the middle without even trying. the unit itself looks pretty cool, wish i had the time to switch paradigms willy-nilly.

thx for dropping the em411 on the polyend, BR!

I’ve been lustful over this since it came out but reading through the thread about it on MW gives me the heebie-jeebies. Thing supposedly is riddled with bugs.

It’s not THAT buggy. There are some but they have been pretty good about firmware updates. Apparently they are working on the next one that will address most of the bugs. Digitakt was so buggy when I got that I sold it after a few months. So far tracker hasn’t had any deal breakers. I think some of the “bugs” are just people not understanding how trackers work. If you don’t input OFF steps when you are using long melodic sounds, there can be some weirdness happening.

The best thing about it to me is it’s an 8 voice polyphonic sampler. Just as fast as an op1 but with real sequencing capabilities. I even made a video. 

6 hours ago, sheatheman said:

It’s not THAT buggy. There are some but they have been pretty good about firmware updates. Apparently they are working on the next one that will address most of the bugs. Digitakt was so buggy when I got that I sold it after a few months. So far tracker hasn’t had any deal breakers. I think some of the “bugs” are just people not understanding how trackers work. If you don’t input OFF steps when you are using long melodic sounds, there can be some weirdness happening.

The best thing about it to me is it’s an 8 voice polyphonic sampler. Just as fast as an op1 but with real sequencing capabilities. I even made a video. 

Wait what? Melodic sounds? I thought this was a torrent tracker!

• Farnsworth 1

I own one and thought I'd chime in, I really like it but it also has a way to go before I'd use it much together with the rest of my gear for making music, I do think it's still pretty buggy even with the latest firmware with things like inconsistent playback being a bit of a pain (I play the song back twice and it sounds a bit different each time)

Polyend have supported it a ton though and I'm sure they'll nail the firmware in time.

• Thanks 1

mine was so buggy and about a month ago the display completely stopped working. sad because it's a really cool product and was very inspiring. would highly recommend staying away though, since mine is literally a brick now. 

• Sad 1

I had been saving up cash all of 2020 to buy a powerful sampler and got the 1010 blackbox. The tracker had come out only 2 months before that. Still not sure if it was the good choice, the tracker and the bb seem to cancel each other out when it comes to features.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 4:57 AM, rhmilo said:

Ah, that’s good to hear.

Then he only question remains is “why get this if you have Renoise” but that maybe is a stupid question

This is basically how I feel.

It takes up about the same space a laptop.

it requires power.

It requires speakers/headphones.

It likely requires a desk/chair.

Might as well use a laptop instead?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, acid1 said:

This is basically how I feel.

It takes up about the same space a laptop.

it requires power.

It requires speakers/headphones.

It likely requires a desk/chair.

Might as well use a laptop instead?

Personally, I agree.

But this is a great tool for people who have difficulty interfacing with a desktop environment when producing music. There's something to be said about the immediacy and approachability of dedicated hardware, especially if you're just starting out. The limitations of something that's sole purpose is to make music in its own specific way can be very liberating in the creative process. 

I think it's a cool little box, I don't really see a need for it myself when Renoise exists; but I remember being pretty uncomfortable with the limitless options that a DAW provided at my disposal when I didn't really have too great of a grasp on what was going on.

Edited by mngosx
  • Like 2

I've had some midi issues, but i think it has to do with conflicting conventions for the 1/8” to 5 pin midi adapters. Once I experimented with a few of the ones I have, I got it working (I have the ones from circuit, cycles, and tracker).

the main issue I have now is it’s really hard to get the clock tight for drums when you are clocking with other gear, even with the ext midi clock compensation. I haven’t had time to devote time to figure it out. So in my setup I’m mainly using it for resampling other gear and my voice thru fx.

i love playing it. It’s the kind of hardware sampler I’ve always wanted. I like it much more than the digitakt. 

The most important difference when it comes to renoise for me is actually planning ahead.. In renoise you can resample as much as you want, put multiple sound sources in one track. here you're thinking ahead a bit more, at least I am, if I want to actually be productive. been organising my own samples properly now, ordered the hardcase too so I can go sit in the woods with a portable charger and make some musics ? only thing I'd wish for right now would be chord memory for external synths and lower bitrates for samples, although I did read that's sorta supported just haven't seen it yet

http://legowelt.org

https://polyend.com/polyend-tracker-x-legowelt-artists-edition/

lw-angle-1-alpha@3x.png

This special edition comes with an unique faceplate designed by myself. Also inside there are 5000+ sounds from my sample archive (1000+ new fresh specially designed ones for this tracker!), 26 project files with finished songs you can play and study, including preset loaded drumkits so you can jammmm instantly.

It comes in a limited edition of 300 pieces
Also included is an LP (which will be send later this year) with some of my tracks made on the Polyend tracker.

so Legowelt can get his own special artist edition of a piece of gear but he can't get his own subforum on WATMM? fuckin' weak, who's running this place/??!??!!?!`11?1!1? 

:datboi:

Edited by auxien
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chronical said:

lower bitrates for samples, although I did read that's sorta supported just haven't seen it yet

Isn’t that just the old school technique of storing something sped up and so it is shorter and then pitch it down?

I don't know who Pete Cannon is but the previews for his EP sounds like he knows how to amen.