Jump to content

Digital Desperation


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello everyone!

This is a set of tunes I've been working on for most of the last year. I was thinking it works together as an album. I'm still kind of on the fence of releasing it though, so I figured I'd post it here before getting it up on Spotify or Bandcamp.

The name is up for review. Actually everything is up for review.

https://soundcloud.com/artificial-disco/sets/digital-desperation

I guess I'll use this thread for any future stuff I might make.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like Lost in the Void, that trumpet there is brilliant! I like the combination of straightforward exotica cheese (no offense ;)) and odder idm-ish stuff. Getting mu-ziq vibes, as well.

Oh and Safe to Eat is a great track too.

Edited by th555
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, th555 said:

I like Lost in the Void, that trumpet there is brilliant! I like the combination of straightforward exotica cheese (no offense ;)) and odder idm-ish stuff. Getting mu-ziq vibes, as well.

Oh and Safe to Eat is a great track too.

"Straightforward exotica cheese" is a great sounding phrase although I have no idea what it means. But I'm guessing this is referring to track 5 mostly, which is kind of a Propellerheads tribute.

Also, glad you liked the trumpet! I am a trumpet player of course, so it only made sense to use it. It can be a tricky though... I don't want this to turn into "me playing over a backing track". I try to use it only when there is place for it in the music.

The third track also has trumpet playing throughout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lost in the Void is my favorite of the bunch(I first heard it in that other thread where it was posted), but it was cool listening to the others.  Overall, I get Stereolab/Mu-Ziq vibes here and there.  The Moog/MS20ish sound in Bunker Bitch at around 2min grabbed me as well.  If I had any suggestions, I guess I would say if I were remixing any of these, I'd add more synth-y weirdness.  Like Raymond Scott style modular/analogue noodles to sit alongside the more traditional sounding instruments.   Good stuff!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/20/2021 at 8:21 PM, BaggerMcGuirk said:

Lost in the Void is my favorite of the bunch(I first heard it in that other thread where it was posted), but it was cool listening to the others.  Overall, I get Stereolab/Mu-Ziq vibes here and there.  The Moog/MS20ish sound in Bunker Bitch at around 2min grabbed me as well.  If I had any suggestions, I guess I would say if I were remixing any of these, I'd add more synth-y weirdness.  Like Raymond Scott style modular/analogue noodles to sit alongside the more traditional sounding instruments.   Good stuff!

Thanks a lot! I think that's a good idea moving forward actually, to get more into the synthesis of it all.

A lot of people seem to like Lost in the Void. The Amen Break strikes again, I guess!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Tim_J said:

oh my the "mariachi" brass section in supersaturation is gold! your melodies are something else... it all sounds so organic like a band jamming... this is quite genius overall!

Thank you very much! It's comforting to hear that it's organic sounding, it really was what I was going for! I'm glad you liked it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like how It's Already Tomorrow has this three parts arrangement. Middle part is huge (reminds me of Scandinavian black metal for a reason). I would maybe tame the ambience (reverb or tails/decay times) in the track, because it feels like, let's say, over-compressed or is just lacking dynamics.

Liked that keys solo at around 1:50 of the Bunker Bitch a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mrzyglosz said:

I like how It's Already Tomorrow has this three parts arrangement. Middle part is huge (reminds me of Scandinavian black metal for a reason). I would maybe tame the ambience (reverb or tails/decay times) in the track, because it feels like, let's say, over-compressed or is just lacking dynamics.

Liked that keys solo at around 1:50 of the Bunker Bitch a lot.

That's great advice. This is actually stuff I lose sleep over so having some feedback on it is golden.

Maybe I thought the high "plings" of the keyboard were hurting my ears so I compressed it but in the process it might have lost something. Also, the whole track is drenched is the Valhalla Shimmer reverb, which could definitely be dialed back a bit.

I'm going to take another look at it. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to soundcloud for the title of this one. I guess it's supposed be cutesy error message, but it kind of sounds like it could be a Philip Dick novel or something.

This is also probably the most IDM thing I can muster at the moment.

https://soundcloud.com/artificial-disco/our-robot-think-youre-a-robot

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, eassae said:

Very nice dark<->light vibe in the first section. Love the hammered piano chords. I'm always a sucker for dark trumpet with lots of reverb.

Thanks a lot! When I got to the point of settling it down a little I figured it had some space a little trumpet playing. This type of sound owes everything to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

That FM bell midway is lovely.  Solid track through and through. 

Thanks a bunch. I did have your earlier comment in this thread in mind - to get more weird with the synths. I'd like to think that paid off at least a little bit.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, eassae said:

Good and dirty track. I like the slow undulating pace.

In terms of production I was wishing there was a little less, or the frequency range was narrowed, or both, for the reverb on the drums. It set them way back in comparison with the lead horn, which is cool, but they felt a little muddy to me. Could just be a personal preference though.

No, you could be on to something. I liked that reverb snare sound and decided to go with it. But too much is too much and muddiness is definitely something I don't want. I'll look into that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I made this for a contest. It's for Samples From Mars and their Kawaii keyboards sample pack. Personally I'm just sinking deeper and deeper into breakbeat madness. I don't know if they that's what they want or what they even thought was possible, but I think it sounds nice.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.