IGNORED

Disintegration Loops Documentary

Joyrex

3 minutes ago, Extralife said:

Am I the only one who liked Sparkle Division??

no. it's not all killer, but there's some really cool stuff on it

2 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

should i check this out?

not very Basinski-like, but still good imo

• Like 1

it might not sound like a big deal nowadays where every sound artist academic tries to imitate him, but remember this was 20 years ago. kinda like Eno with ambient music

I saw him play in a festival in Rio before I knew anything about him, the venue was a church and I must say it was quite an experience, transcendental

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Extralife said:

Am I the only one who liked Sparkle Division??

It's real nice - I like it too. It's like a recently discovered late 90s/early 00s Ninja Tune album

On 11/18/2013 at 7:27 PM, Bob Dylan said:

But at the same time every artist try to make things mythical if anything. Bob Dylan invented a whole backstory to his life when he started in NYC, saying he played in Bobby Vee's band, that he was a teenager riding the rails and traveled with a circus. Did that change anything in the end?

The BOC brothers not telling they were brothers, creating a lot of weird aura of mystery behind all their creation. And let's not talk about Richard here, we could list a thousand idiosyncrasies.

My point being, does this take out anything from his music? Can it stand alone, and listen to it without the 9/11 gimmick? Or his other stuff, if you never knew about the history, does it change anything?

10 years later and he's still a wanker trying to milk his fake gimmick

Edited by Bob Dylan
  • Facepalm 1

mofos in here really complaining about the sound of basinski’s voice, his “fake gimmick” (?) and getting enraged that he besmirched the sanctity of 9/11  as though no artist before him has ever associated their work with a tragedy

this is one of the most cry baby threads on watmm lol

ya’ll ever heard of Steve reich? He made a piece with recordings of trains bc he used to ride them and thought about how other jews rode them in...the fucking holocaust. you ever see that painting “guernica?” by that little dude Picasso? what was that one about? did you know the best selling writer jonathan safran foer literally has a flip book of a guy jumping to his death from one of the towers? gonna have to try a little harder to qualify why it’s bad some random electronic musician with practically no following whatsoever released a series of ambient records with images of the towers on the cover lol  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

mofos in here really complaining about the sound of basinski’s voice, his “fake gimmick” (?) and getting enraged that he besmirched the sanctity of 9/11  as though no artist before him has ever associated their work with a tragedy

ya’ll ever heard of Steve reich? He made a piece with recordings of trains bc he used to ride them and thought about how other jews rode them in...the fucking holocaust. you ever see that painting “guernica?” by that little dude Picasso? what was that one about? did you know the best selling writer jonathan safran foer literally has a flip book of a guy jumping to his death from one of the towers? gonna have to try a little harder to qualify why it’s bad some random electronic musician with practically no following whatsoever released a series of ambient records with images of the towers on the cover lol  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dcom said:

Sähkö - The Movie. Sähkö is electricity in Finnish. Vainio is sorely missed, but he left an awesome musical legacy.

Ayy getting off topic, but how have i never seen this- amazing footage and music throughout.  Some of the shots towards the end are a bit tragic.  But the concert and studio footage are total gems. RIP

1 hour ago, Alcofribas said:

hehehe very good! comparing guernica to the disintegration loops?! lol if i did know you're trolling i would advise you to go to a brain scan 

/alco

5 minutes ago, xox said:

hehehe very good! comparing guernica to the disintegration loops?! lol if i did know you're trolling i would advise you to go to a brain scan 

/alco

telling the doctor i need a brain scan to see why i can't manage to cry about william basinski's shameful mistreatment of 9/11

1 minute ago, Alcofribas said:

telling the doctor i need a brain scan to see why i can't manage to cry about william basinski's shameful mistreatment of 9/11

hehehe noooo, not that... that 'd be of minor importance, stop it!!! im gonna piss myself maan!

ufff, waitaminute... /!/ tears 

...no, no.. actually asking the scan for equaling artistic value and genius of guernica to these poor loops! but hey, it's only hypothetical... i'm not saying you're doing that 

Just now, xox said:

hehehe noooo, not that... that 'd be of minor importance, stop it!!! im gonna piss myself maan!

ufff, waitaminute... /!/ tears 

...no, no.. actually asking the scan for equaling artistic value and genius of guernica to these poor loops! but hey, it's only hypothetical... i'm not saying you're doing that 

bro think about what you're saying. an artist can only explore tragedy if they are a genius? some regular amateur musician must stay out of these topics bc they don't have enough "artistic value"? and who gets to determine that a particular work is artistically valuable enough to qualify for this privilege to use such themes? if picasso made a painting that was slightly different and as such "less good" would he have been exploiting the tragedy? how much money did picasso make as an artist compared to basinski?

i think the general claim that basinski "exploited" 9/11 is half-baked. there are just vast quantities of music, literature, film, painting, poetry, etc. about tragedies that make this general claim insufficient in iteself. people explore fucked up things in their artwork all the time. the specific claims against basinski here just seem like projection to me, perfectly encapsulated by the shallow rewards video - he has to characterize basinski as some dishonest nyc "loft guy" out to manipulate the public or something. but this is completely unsubstantiated. basinski was basically a failed artist at the time he released those loops. he had tried to get his music released for like 20 years with no success whatsoever aside from one raster noton release which happened bc carsten happened to hear his music while staying with basinski's neighbors one time. otherwise he was just taking strolls down memory lane, recording all his old recordings from tape to his computer and occasionally releasing the ones he thought were cool - releasing them by himself, shipping them from his own apartment to a small audience in the days before social media and youtube. i'm simply not seeing how this was some nefarious, tasteless "loft guy" using a tragedy for his own gain. to me he comes across as a totally genuine guy - definitely flirting with cringe from time to time but motivated by a completely innocuous interest in making gushing, emotional loops. i seriously doubt he had any expectation whatsoever that this would become something that sky-rocketed his career; that would be a legitimately ridiculous expectation on his part especially after so many long years of remaining a totally obscure musician. 

but anyway, like i said, there are just thousands and thousands of works that incorporate tragedies, personal and historical, including every conceivable level of "artistic value" and i just don't buy that basinski's foray into this is a noteworthy offense. i don't buy the whole thing about geniuses being allowed to do this but amateur artists cannot. if you make art feel free to make it about whatever, imo. i personally find basinski infinitely less offensive than jonathan safran foer for example. and unlike basinski that guy is a ridiculous celebrity and millionaire who legit published a 9/11 flip book and used his emails with natalie portman to promote one of his novels. please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I also think comparing the loops to autechre is nonsensical. more apt comparisons would be to similar music in the same genre, works like “Plays John Cassavetes” or “Loops Overland” and in that context I think they sound quite good. 

• Like 2

I still think there should be a Slayer - God Hates Us All doc that links the album as some kind of harbinger that either directly caused or manifested itself from the 9-11 tragedy.  Way better doc imho tyvm, even though William Basinski has suffered much greater hardships than Slayer, languishing in obscurity all those years while Slayer just kept releasing one satanic banger after another into the gaping maw of our sweating youths.

• Like 1

The thing is... it's not about using a tragedy. It's just fake, it's all lies.  That documentary, in the end, it's bullshit and lies, a fucking fake doc, a mockumentary.  If he could finally admit it was all made up, no... a decade later he's still Mr. Brainwash-ing his way into the truth.

Edited by Bob Dylan
  • Like 1