Disintegration Loops Documentary

Joyrex

Late to the party, sorry. 

I found the dlps because (iirc) back when the Japanese exclusive track on "the campfire headphase" was available, someone pointed out that the sounds toward the middle of the track sounded like Basinski. So I checked it out and learned about the origins of the loops, and thought that his was some artist's right to make art in horrific circumstances when lots of people thought the world was coming to an end (there was much hysteria, but it's really understandable in context), and all that doesn't really strike me as objectionable at all. I don't get the outrage except as yet another instance of online outrage fueled by a culture that's informed by social media norms and algorithms that prioritize emotionally-laden content in order to keep one roped to the website for longer. It's not good for anyone to feel and act that way, really. 

But I gotta say two things. First, those disintegration loops didn't really become significant for me until I was going through probably the worst time in my life (so far) and I needed to sit and reflect a lot for a long time instead of destroying myself. Somebody recorded some beautiful time-lapse photography to accompany his choice tracks and uploaded those to youtube, and those are probably the most important, simple things on that entire website to me, personally. The 9/11 thing fell by the wayside for me, entirely. Someone mentioned the meditative quality of the boringness, and I think that's a really useful reminder. We're all so plugged in so much, so distracted, so addicted to pointless information, and it's good to have these repetitive tracks that are kinda boring but also emotionally compelling (at least for some of us). It played that role for me, and for that, I'm very grateful. Sure, plenty of other works can do this same job, so if this isn't your jam, fine. 

Second, the idea of this documentary strikes me as very bad. People really seem to enjoy this activity of talking--in a very moving, powerful, rhetorical way--about why some artist was the greatest ever. To those in the circle-jerk, this does a lot for them, but for those who aren't, this almost never works. Why do people enjoy this sort of thing? It always used to strike me as very weird, even when I was a little kid, how people in my family used to puff up and talk about how the music of their generation was the best there ever was, and how the music of today is indebted so much to The Greats, or if it's not then it's all garbage. What a weird thing to be proud of, something that you never had anything to do with, something that you yourself didn't make. If some work of art is very good and you want to help people appreciate what you see in it, that's great: give us the perspective, if you've got it. But that's not what I can see in that silly trailer. It looks like the academic/obscurantist/ambient art-world version of "this is the album that defined a generation" sort of schtick. That's why I am not at all excited about such a documentary. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1