IGNORED

Anyone using Pro Unlimited on Soundcloud?

TheBro

Complete rip off.  Soundcloud literally making you pay for the free advertising your music is giving them.  I'm not saying I ever got millions of listens or anything but for tens of thousands of listens you'd think you'd see something out of it.  

Literally the only reason why Soundcloud was ever good was because of the community aspect of it.  Meeting other artists, collabing, etc.  All of that is gone and now it's just a bunch of ads and pandering.

I don't see myself ever going back to it by any means.  Sure i'll upload a new single for the hell of it, but never spend a second more of time on it.  Have devoted nearly 100% of efforts into Spotify, at least you can see something out of it and maybe find some real radio play.

• Like 3

ive been paying for some version of soundcloud that apparently isnt good enough because they keep trying to get me to upgrade. also they keep trying to get me to pay to listen to stuff. and they are popping up huge modal windows about some kind of career seminar or something. im not sure how it could be more terrible.

also- sorry for derailing the thread the last time you asked about this ?

never. kind of always thought soundcloud was shit. i put various tracks/demos up there but wouldn't pay for experience.  have discovered a few dj mixes there but i don't get much out of soundcloud.. don't really try though. 

i put up a few songs from various releases on youtube. non-monetized. it's easier to hear a track on youtube if there's something i want to track down. 

Yeah, they've been nagging for money pretty much constantly for the last couple of years. Limited time offers are regularly extended, etc. Seems desperate. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, psn said:

Yeah, they've been nagging for money pretty much constantly for the last couple of years. Limited time offers are regularly extended, etc. Seems desperate. 

Exactly my thoughts!!!

51 minutes ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

I just picked up the unlimited thing for space.  I can confirm that it provided me with additional space.  

Good one! I may just drop Disney Plus and pay for it. Thinking about it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, dingformung said:

Not sure what happened to soundcloud. I think removing the group and forum function was a mistake

Providing free storage space to people without money. I'm sure there's a business model in there somewhere.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dingformung said:

Not sure what happened to soundcloud. I think removing the group and forum function was a mistake

Yes.  Just like Resident Advisor.  Remove the social aspect (comments etc) and now its just another website, like all the other websites.  

Resident Advisor can feel like an echo chamber from watmm.  I posted about the new Audacity upgrade and an article appeared there the next day.  Someone there obviously reads this site because they often post about Autechre / Aphex shortly after topics appear here, and they have linked back to watmm before.

Anyway,.. soundcloud.

Yesh

• Like 1

SoundCloud is still maybe the best place to hear current music before you can hear it anywhere else. If you know you know. The community aspect has definitely waned in the past few years, but I’m still having some good convos.

i do sometimes wish SoundCloud would have shut down like it was going to. The ads are so much worse now. At least I have Adblocker on desktop

20 hours ago, eassae said:

I just use it for embeds and sharing. I get almost no organic plays on SC. 

In 2015, when I would post a fire track, I used to get 100 likes in one day, 2k plays in a week. Now I get maybe 20 likes in a week, and 100 over six months. I have a few tracks that have had a steady algorithm momentum for the past 6 years, but posting a new track today is often discouraging.

so yeah, a lot of enthusiasm has been drained from the user base. 

10 hours ago, th555 said:

I'm still bummed that you can't remove reposts when listening to your "stream". There's a browser extension for it but still. And the spam.

Spam is terrible on Soundcloud. The amount of fn annoying spammers out there really ruins the excitement of a like on your tune lol.

7 hours ago, sheatheman said:

In 2015, when I would post a fire track, I used to get 100 likes in one day, 2k plays in a week. Now I get maybe 20 likes in a week, and 100 over six months. I have a few tracks that have had a steady algorithm momentum for the past 6 years, but posting a new track today is often discouraging.

so yeah, a lot of enthusiasm has been drained from the user base. 

Show off! ?

• Big Brain 1

I honestly really dislike Soundcloud as a platform these days. The UI is a cluttered mess, and it's difficult to find new music that I enjoy without going through artists that others are following. I think that it's failing artists, because it fails music consumers first and foremost. Depending on what tags you put on your uploads, bots will spam your uploads with likes and reposts, regardless of the quality of the track, or if you want it or not. Obviously, trendy tags get the most attention from bots, which drives the "economy" so to speak, to produce an endless swarm of shit. 

It's a shame, and I really hope that Soundcloud won't be the big dog on top for much longer, which is foreseeable considering how little of a profit they make. I don't know anyone outside of other artists who even pay for a Soundcloud subscription of any kind. 

I've had a soundcloud forever (maybe more than a decade) but I've never really paid any attention to it.  Every couple years it might occur to me to upload something.  Might get a couple comments that say "nice."  I think at some point I was told that I "need to have a soundcloud," so that's why I have one.  I don't think it has benefitted me in any way.  I release my albums on bandcamp, and that's where I direct everyone's attention when they ask where to find my music.  Although I am doing the Spotify game now, which is the only outlet that's served to expand my audience in any noticeable way.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

I pay for my subscription because I find a lot of cool stuff on soundcloud and I get to share my material easily and in high definition and nobody has to make a spotify account to listen to it or get it on youtube which does not allow background listening on a phone (and comes with a google spy apparatus).

I don't know whats the status with the ads. I guess they removed those for paying users.

And yeah each time I upload something, I get a few obvious bot likes that I immediately report and they go away. They are so damn obvious that I don't know why they have not set up an image recognition filter that flags those "get more likes" accounts for suspension until a human takes a look.

The community aspect could be better of course, I never posted anything on soundcloud while groups and stuff existed. All I have is WATMM and some discords.

• Like 1