Jump to content

AFX - MTS-ESP Suite (ODDSound x AFX collab)


Recommended Posts

Bitwig has this kind of built in btw:

 

 

 

Makes more sense to implement this in the daw so you do not have to update all plugins to support it

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

this is an instant buy for me. to be able to edit the tables that quickly is mind blowing. i've scratched my head with scala for years, had a few bits of hardware like the tbx-1 and the tubbutec mutune, i've tried some of the maxforlive patches but nothing ties it all together like this. just wish it could take a reference pitch from say a drifty oscillator and adjust accordingly. otherwise, im giddy as hell.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

they said on twitter that some sort of scale detection from audio recordings is high on their list for future additions! that would be really nice for me! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to post a brief update here/plug for Oddsound. Oli over there spent the last few days helping me troubleshoot to get this working with Live 10 and, after a lot of back and forth, I'm up and running! I really can't say enough good things about how patient, kind, helpful, and willing he was to help me work this out (a bit of issue w/ the way the Max4live was calling to the midi plugin). Extremely excited to start digging in on some music making with this - it really does make it super easy to just tune a scale your own whims and instantly apply it across instruments. 

It's the tits. Also, one thing that he passed along that might be of use to people here: https://www.midimood.com/product/pluchain/ This allows you to combine a midi device and a midi VST into one device - this is super handy in Live, because it disallows two midi devices on one track. So, for example, if you wanted to have Scaler + Reaktor in one track (rather than routing midi between tracks), this will do the trick. 

Happy music making all!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, T3551ER said:

Just wanted to post a brief update here/plug for Oddsound. Oli over there spent the last few days helping me troubleshoot to get this working with Live 10 and, after a lot of back and forth, I'm up and running! I really can't say enough good things about how patient, kind, helpful, and willing he was to help me work this out (a bit of issue w/ the way the Max4live was calling to the midi plugin). Extremely excited to start digging in on some music making with this - it really does make it super easy to just tune a scale your own whims and instantly apply it across instruments. 

It's the tits. Also, one thing that he passed along that might be of use to people here: https://www.midimood.com/product/pluchain/ This allows you to combine a midi device and a midi VST into one device - this is super handy in Live, because it disallows two midi devices on one track. So, for example, if you wanted to have Scaler + Reaktor in one track (rather than routing midi between tracks), this will do the trick. 

Happy music making all!

Can you automate the individual tuning of the notes without needing to do it manually if you wanna change a note? Like if you wanna change a key using it instead of midi.

Edited by Brisbot
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

Can you automate the individual tuning of the notes without needing to do it manually if you wanna change a note? Like if you wanna change a key using it instead of midi.

Hey! Can you explain the question a little bit more? I think I know what you mean but I'm not sure. 

The way the system works is, there is a "master" plugin that holds the scale information that you would transmit to all your synths and whatnot. Within that master plugin, you can load of scale presets (they bundle quite a few) - but you can ALSO (and this is where I get excited) manually tune individual notes to whatever you want them to be. The client midi plugin receives this and applies it to your synth on the back end in realtime. For example, I could have, say, Serum open and be playing a note, switch back to the master plugin and start messing with note tunings, and the changes are heard immediately. Any other synth is likewise "retuned"

Some synths (like Serum) actually don't even need to the midi client plugin, they automagically can connect with the MTS master plugin without the middle step. 

Prob doesn't answer your question tho? 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T3551ER said:

Hey! Can you explain the question a little bit more? I think I know what you mean but I'm not sure. 

The way the system works is, there is a "master" plugin that holds the scale information that you would transmit to all your synths and whatnot. Within that master plugin, you can load of scale presets (they bundle quite a few) - but you can ALSO (and this is where I get excited) manually tune individual notes to whatever you want them to be. The client midi plugin receives this and applies it to your synth on the back end in realtime. For example, I could have, say, Serum open and be playing a note, switch back to the master plugin and start messing with note tunings, and the changes are heard immediately. Any other synth is likewise "retuned"

Some synths (like Serum) actually don't even need to the midi client plugin, they automagically can connect with the MTS master plugin without the middle step. 

Prob doesn't answer your question tho? 

I just asked FXbip and he said that you can basically automate between keys... between notes.. etc. Like if you have two keys that co-relate to each other as different keys in a scale, then you can automate between those two keys in the  scale.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh, kk, good stuff. Also, just been messing around with the macros and whatnot was able to tie macros->pitchbend->expose this as an automatable parameter in Live. 

 

image.png

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

just bcuz aphex is into microtuning doesn't mean you have to be too, you can also go with snare rushes or aphex acid, you don't need to do go full demented circus clown nightmare. Just make some nice sounding melodies and add a structure and you'll get further than 90% of electronic musicians.

  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 12:48 AM, Rubin Farr said:

love that gif lol

also, I scrolled down after that article and saw another story about a Nils Frahm release with the following quote that I thought was interesting:

In an interview with The Independentpublished today, Frahm shared his thoughts on NFTs. He said, “Some of my heroes like Aphex Twin are selling, sorry, crap for 130,000 bucks… It’s unforgivable to participate in something which is so bleak and wrong.”

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Uros
      ❤️ Love this as much as VLR's two afx mix sets. Neat mix!
      Also similar megamixes for Plaid, Boards Of Canada and Autechre on his sc account but can't be arsed to crosspost them.
    • By FJKMTL
      I really want to ask, is that Richard singing? I would like to know, and what you think about this peculiar song!
      Greetings.
       
      https://youtu.be/JLYwxVWF_qQ
    • By Joyrex
      I got to thinking how many great tracks make up Richard's Analogue Bubblebath series, over the 5 official releases, the ABB 5 test pressing, and the tracks on the SoundCloud Dump identified as ABB6, and wondered - which release overall is the best?
      If you haven't heard any in recent times, you need to reacquaint yourself with them - there are some superb tracks! Some of my personal faves:
       
       
       
      What are some of your favourites?
    • By jasondonervan
      AFX Analogue Bubblebath 5 CAT 034 Rephlex Aphex Twin RARE VINYL
       
      "Hi, this is a rare copy of Analogue Bubblebath 5 by AFX aka Aphex twin.
       
      CONDITION:
       
      LABEL: Has CAT 34 written in turquoise water based felt tip on both sides, 1 side is smudged, whether it can be removed is up to the buyer to try if they want, it's only felt tip, but it was probably written on there 12 or 13 years ago.
       
      VINYL: Excellent condition apart from 1 very very minor surface scratch, which is so shallow as to be nearly impossible to photograph. Anyway I attempted to point it out. It's probably been played a couple of times judging by marks by the centre hole.
       
      SOUND: I'm not going to play this on my old record player as it will probably damage it more than anything but just looking at the condition is enough to tell me that it'll be absolutely fine.
       
      SLEEVE: Will ship it in the inner sleeve it came in."
       
       

       

       

       

       

       

       

       
      Currently sat at £255, ends next Monday evening. Could be wrong, but this might be Ceephax selling...? 
×
×
  • Create New...