IGNORED

AFX - MTS-ESP Suite (ODDSound x AFX collab)

Rubin Farr

interesting, looks like it should work well for many setups. bit pricey, but it does seem a pretty powerful bit of kit so that's not unwarranted, and they mention they've been working on it to some degree or another for years. i'm sure if you've just gotta have microtuning on all your stuff, synced up, quickly, and relatively easily, the $110 price tag is likely worth it.

seems like RDJ is basically just a consultant/promoter tho. they've got one quote from him and mention only that "Four years ago we started discussing the current state of tuning in electronic music making with Richard James" but that's it. :cerious:

• Like 1

That’s so dark and kinda offensive joyrex. Why would you assume he’s made anything from this? Ik you’re a fan so maybe your just being funny, no disrespect meant.
Didn’t he say he made zero from similar endeavors? 

Yeah he said that and why would he being interested to get money out of it if he not have been coding, design layout and heavy work.

The intresting fact is just what this thing do sound wise.. For me who likes to play around with synths and stuff the tuning part is one of the "least" fun parts.
People like to talk about Granular, FM synthesis, Wave tables, Many LFO's, effects etc.. I don't know if this gonna be a massive hit..

If this legit works seamlessly, easily, across all plugins within a DAW then it's pm a game changer. Over the last few years I've been playing around a little bit with scala files but it's been a cumbersome process. In particular, trying to do what AFX does when making each note it's own specific microtuning. Doing this but being able to apply to all VST's in a project would be so amazeballs. 

Will try this out tonight...

• Like 3

yeah agreed this would be dope if it works

1 hour ago, endera3rd said:

That’s so dark and kinda offensive joyrex. Why would you assume he’s made anything from this? Ik you’re a fan so maybe your just being funny, no disrespect meant.

triggered for sure

1 hour ago, endera3rd said:

Maybe he’s having a bad day. We all do. It’s no big deal.

surely it would be pretty easy to just put out a Play Store app that shits out Colundi material. can i buy that instead? i don't know how to use DAWs.

4 hours ago, Joyrex said:

I wonder how much this "collab" netted him...

That's a bit pessimistic. He has been talking about Microtuning for years and years and has voiced his displeasure for the lack of microtuning pretty much everywhere. Richard doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would waste his time on something he doesn't care about in itself.

4 hours ago, endera3rd said:

yeah need to wait and find out more. I have a feeling that in this case he has been very involved considering it is something important to him. Also, he is probably making money from it, but good ideas are supposed to make money yeah?

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

That's a bit pessimistic. He has been talking about Microtuning for years and years and has voiced his displeasure for the lack of microtuning pretty much everywhere. Richard doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would waste his time on something he doesn't care about in itself.

yeah need to wait and find out more. I have a feeling that in this case he has been very involved considering it is something important to him. Also, he is probably making money from it, but good ideas are supposed to make money yeah?

Well, based on what others are saying, it sounds like (and the jury is still out on that) he didn't have much involvement beyond lending his name, although I would think Richard wouldn't do that unless he had some input. My quotes around "collab" were to more ask the question of what was his level of involvement, and of course he deserves to be compensated if that's the case.

And to add - I have no problems with him making a living - especially with how little music seems to bring artists these days (outside of the mainstream).

• Like 2

seems like you have to update all your plugins for it to work. hmmm I really would like a simple solution for tuning as the current way its implemented in logic by loading tun files does not really work well with all plugins and some tun files sound really broken like just pitched up very high. some plugins do a great job others do not 

also the free version does what logic can do by default but maybe other daws like live etc can make use of it

17 minutes ago, Bubba69 said:

That track fucks. Hopefully he drops a whole album of wiggly softsynth shit like that as his next proj

music ain't RDJ, it's WATMM's own fxbip

• Like 4

that's friggin' AWESOME (re @fxbip) Love it. 

Ok, I've spent the better part of the evening trying to get this to work. Using Ableton 10 (can't afford to upgrade to 11 quite yet) so I think this may be borking a lot of things. I updated Serum and got it to play nice (it perfectly picked up the tuning automatically). However, using the Max4live wrapper for the client doesn't seem to have any effect on any synth.

The way this is supposed to work, you place the Max4live wrapper on the same track as your VST (since Live disallows more than one midi device of this sort per track) and it should transmit the re-tuned data from the master to the vst synth. Or, ableton native devices. haven't gotten a single one to work (note mode sort of seems to work, but it ends up playing 2 pitches at once). 

Packing it in for the night - suspect if I had 11 with the MPE device capabilities it would work better - but I'm a little surprised that the M4l doesn't seem to be playing nice/as intended....

• Thanks 1