IGNORED

Amon Tobin - How do you Live?

New Tobin album announced, releasing in September! 

New single sounds p good - I wasn't a huge fan of the recent ambient-ish albums of his although I appreciate the sound design on them (may need to revisit them tbh). 

Album announcement:

Amon Tobin - Rise to Ashes and How Do You Live (nomark.net)

Single:

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 3
  • Big Brain 1

2 minutes ago, Extralife said:

September? Way to build five months of hype, Amon.

yeh that's a long ass time away lol

Just now, MIXL2 said:

sounds interesting.. we'll how the whole thing does

cautiously optimistic myself ;o

I like the music, but damn, every single one of his press blurbs and newsletters of the past three years has rubbed me the wrong way. Either pretentious or just plain creepy (all that Margot Robbie stuff and the 'he's still single, ladies').

Also doesn't sit right with me that a big name like him would choose to look for bandcamp friday profits

Edited by eye

I haven't spent a lot of time with Amon Tobin's music, but was listening to the Splinter Cell soundtrack in my van the other day - between that and this single, it's interesting to note the distinctive drum sound and bass sound.  It's partly the organic sample choices, and largely the way he compresses them.  There's not many artists I listen to and immediately recognize their compression sound, but he's one.  Clark had that going on between ETBOY and Totems Flare.

• Like 2

I’m not so happy with the single tbh. It’s interesting for the first bit but honestly it’s the same chords with a little melodic break, 3x repeat. Sound design is good but it goes nowhere... ?

Felt the same of ISAM (which the single sounds most similar to to my ears?) Where’s the progression ala his earlier works?

On 4/2/2021 at 7:31 PM, Zephyr_Nova said:

I haven't spent a lot of time with Amon Tobin's music, but was listening to the Splinter Cell soundtrack in my van the other day - between that and this single, it's interesting to note the distinctive drum sound and bass sound.  It's partly the organic sample choices, and largely the way he compresses them.  There's not many artists I listen to and immediately recognize their compression sound, but he's one.  Clark had that going on between ETBOY and Totems Flare.

If you like the Splinter Cell soundtrack then check out Long Story. It has a bit of the same vibe just more ambienty

Interesting sound. Need tot listen to it more to see if it clicks, it sounds good but i need to see whether i actually like it or not.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 1

imo, this single starts off okay but then tries to mix in bro-step and quickly becomes an over-spiced mess. i was a huge fan of his stuff back in the day, but everything post foley room is a very mixed bag to put it nicely.

the figueroa record was actually refreshing in that it didnt try to be everything at once.

On 4/5/2021 at 8:33 AM, Satans Little Helper said:

Sounds to me like he put all his all stuff in a blender. To my ears there are bits and pieces of his older work everywhere. And it's a bit all over the place. Perhaps it needs more time to settle in, but first impression is meh. ?

Yeah it does indeed come across a bit all over the place - It sounds like a 5 minute cut down of a 45 minute 70s prog rock cover of a song from Sesame Street. Not sure if it's the Youtube compression or my wonky ears but whenever it went to the drummy section everything turned into a mushy sound soup and my ears struggled to pick anything out

• Like 2

Amon Tobin albums are musical anomalies. They’ve been this way since the beginning and despite our best efforts most attempts to describe them fall into reductive language. We feel this is the way things should be. The burden of describing something after all falls on those concerned with talking. The rest of us are free of such constraints and can surrender to the more direct experience of listening. 

Rise to Ashes is the first single from Amon Tobin’s forthcoming album How Do You Live.

A masterful song of hope, yoked to the burden of reality.

Fucking lmao. Especially after listening to that single.

On 4/3/2021 at 2:31 AM, FJKMTL said:

So sad he didn't like drums anymore, hope in this new album is more like his Permutation era

Sent from my I3223 using Tapatalk

Listen to the single, it's more like ISAM era if anything

On 4/3/2021 at 2:05 AM, Extralife said:

September? Way to build five months of hype, Amon.

He has another album coming out in June under another alias called Stone Giants, interested to see what that's going to be like

Before anyone says "how many side projects does this guy have?", it's zero.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah, seems ok on first half listening impressions.

Edit: ended up listening to the new Andy Shauf album all day instead, sorry Amon!

Edit edit: I gave it a proper listen, I kinda really liked it? Watmm probably gonna hate 

Edited by Silent Member