IGNORED

The Avalanches - Since I Left You, 20th Anniversary Deluxe Edition

https://theavalanches.lnk.to/SILYStore

Releases in early June.  4xLP and signed print have already sold out.

2xCD tracklist:

TRACK LIST:

CD 1
1. SINCE I LEFT YOU
2. STAY ANOTHER SEASON
3. RADIO
4. TWO HEARTS IN 3/4 TIME
5. AVALANCHE ROCK
6. FLIGHT TONIGHT
7. CLOSE TO YOU
8. DINERS ONLY
9. A DIFFERENT FEELING
10. ELECTRICITY
11. TONIGHT MAY HAVE TO LAST ME ALL MY LIFE
12. PABLO'S CRUISE
13. FRONTIER PSYCHIATRIST
14. ETOH
15. SUMMER CRANE
16. LITTLE JOURNEY
17. LIVE AT DOMINOES
18. EXTRA KINGS

CD 2
1. TONIGHT MAY HAVE TO LAST ME ALL MY LIFE (MF DOOM REMIX)
2. SUMMER CRANE (BLACK DICE REMIX)
3. FRONTIER PSYCHIATRIST (MARIO CALDATO JR'S 85% REMIX)
4. ELECTRICITY (DR. ROCKIT'S DIRTY KISS REMIX)
5. ELECTRICITY (ORIGINAL AVALANCHES DEMO TAPE)
6. THANK YOU CAROLINE (ORIGINAL AVALANCHES DEMO TAPE)
7. THANK YOU CAROLINE (ANDY VOTEL REMIX)
8. SO WHY SO SAD (THE AVALANCHES SEAN PENN MIX)
9. THE SHINING (THE AVALANCHES GOOD WORD FOR THE WEEKEND MIX)
10. PABLO'S CRUISE (ORIGINAL AVALANCHES DEMO TAPE)
11. I'M A CUCKOO (THE AVALANCHES REMIX)
12. CHICO (THE AVALANCHES WERNHAM HOGG MIX)
13. FADE TOGETHER (THE AVALANCHES REMIX)
14. SINCE I LEFT YOU (STEREOLAB REMIX)
15. FLIGHT TONIGHT (CANYONS TRAVEL AGENT DUB)
16. RADIO (SINKANE REMIX)
17. A DIFFERENT FEELING (ERNEST SAINT LAURENT REMIX)
18. A DIFFERENT FEELING (CARL CRAIG'S PAPERCLIP PEOPLE REMIX)
19. TWO HEARTS IN 3/4 TIME (JACKSON & HIS COMPUTER BAND REMIX)
20. TONIGHT MAY HAVE TO LAST ME ALL MY LIFE (DRAGGED BY LEON VYNEHALL)
21. TONIGHT MAY HAVE TO LAST ME ALL MY LIFE (EDAN REMIX)

managed to cop the 4xLP and 2xCD! thank god

seems as if the print isn't available in the UK, though? the british version of the avalanches store still doesn't seem to be live for the SILY reissue campaign. all i see is the new(ish) record. oh well, at least the 4xLP has a poster

bit disappointing imo.

can't say i'm thrilled about all those remixes. reminds me of the endtroducing 20 year set, most of those turned out to be wank.

and the bits of the bonus disc that ARE actually interesting (demos, alt mixes) aren't even on the 4LP set. pretty fucked up if they don't at least include those on a download code.

anyway, enough of me being a grumpy cunt. it's a gorgeous album and i'll likely grab this set regardless as i never owned it on vy-null

There's some confusion as to whether or not the CD comes with a 3rd disc.  Their mailing list says

For fans of the CD format, it comes with a bonus mix CD that we made especially for you, a journey through the flotsam and jetsam that has been floating around in the vaults for years.

and the graphic for the CD says 2CD + megamix.

3 hours ago, Kennylogg Bubblebath said:

can't say i'm thrilled about all those remixes. reminds me of the endtroducing 20 year set, most of those turned out to be wank.

Most of this anniversary rehash cottage industry is TBH.

Perhaps only in the perceived reality in which this self (or bot, I'm your brony, jabroni) exists, the recording Since I Left You is perfect as-is.  Be it residing within the pits and lands of a compact disc purchased long ago and sitting on my shelf, untouched for years having long been extracted for its PCM data, or through perceived free will, selected as aural input for my conscious self, triggering - as anticipated, perhaps self-fulfillingly - neurons and axons to glow and flicker in some region of the electromagnetic spectrum who knows where (probably people who study the human brain, that's who).  Ensuing feels of mild euphoria, nostalgia for moments in the naughts that may or may not have happened, amber-soaked and preserved in layers of collective unconscious cultural references reflected upon those of my perceived self, and for non-discrete moments on end this assemblage oscillates between the only and the nonexistent, like virtual particles in an unfathomable void of space-time.  Then as it should, our nonfungible nonentity can be retired to archive on the "shelf" external to oneself (itself a heavily modified context-specific "other"), to be objectified and discuss at will (ha!) or more likely happenstance (no time like the present right?).  And yet this beautiful abstraction, which has not physical form per se, nonetheless requires physical representation to exist.  Perhaps we, our minds, are the real NFTs.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

the recording Since I Left You is perfect as-is

Have you heard the "Zomba edition" leaked promo?  It includes "with my baby" as track 3 and a fair number of samples throughout that they couldn't clear to be on the final album.  I like it much better than the official version, and had hoped it would be on the deluxe reissue.

Edited by randomsummer
  • Like 1
  • Burger 1

5 hours ago, BobDobalina said:

Most of this anniversary rehash cottage industry is TBH.

Perhaps only in the perceived reality in which this self (or bot, I'm your brony, jabroni) exists, the recording Since I Left You is perfect as-is.  Be it residing within the pits and lands of a compact disc purchased long ago and sitting on my shelf, untouched for years having long been extracted for its PCM data, or through perceived free will, selected as aural input for my conscious self, triggering - as anticipated, perhaps self-fulfillingly - neurons and axons to glow and flicker in some region of the electromagnetic spectrum who knows where (probably people who study the human brain, that's who).  Ensuing feels of mild euphoria, nostalgia for moments in the naughts that may or may not have happened, amber-soaked and preserved in layers of collective unconscious cultural references reflected upon those of my perceived self, and for non-discrete moments on end this assemblage oscillates between the only and the nonexistent, like virtual particles in an unfathomable void of space-time.  Then as it should, our nonfungible nonentity can be retired to archive on the "shelf" external to oneself (itself a heavily modified context-specific "other"), to be objectified and discuss at will (ha!) or more likely happenstance (no time like the present right?).  And yet this beautiful abstraction, which has not physical form per se, nonetheless requires physical representation to exist.  Perhaps we, our minds, are the real NFTs.

damn Bob...bringin your A game today I see. well played tying this into the fungibles. I'd recommend you get this posted onto the blockchain stat, start earning some coin for your zen like effort here. talk to Elon about exchanging them for skee ball tokens, so you can actually do something with your earnings.

• Big Brain 1

2 hours ago, randomsummer said:

Have you heard the "Zomba edition" leaked promo?  It includes "with my baby" as track 3 and a fair number of samples throughout that they couldn't clear to be on the final album.  I like it much better than the official version, and had hoped it would be on the deluxe reissue.

Indeed I have, though thank you for the reminder that this exists!  The omitted track is good in and of itself, I might have listened to this version once or twice but still go back to the original since it's the one I fell in love with back in the days where available music was a finite commodity.  This of course having been ingested and imbued through subjective experience; not sure but I believe this is the part of the response where I type "YMMV": YMMV.

21 minutes ago, zero said:

damn Bob...bringin your A game today I see. well played tying this into the fungibles. I'd recommend you get this posted onto the blockchain stat, start earning some coin for your zen like effort here. talk to Elon about exchanging them for skee ball tokens, so you can actually do something with your earnings.

Thanks, gonna fire up winamp and pretend madonna is still relevant, then maybe draw an picture of her listening intently to the 180g repress in an ostentatious home hifi room decorated with nothing but monochrome dick pics.  +100 XP bois! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobDobalina said:

Indeed I have, though thank you for the reminder that this exists!  The omitted track is good in and of itself, I might have listened to this version once or twice but still go back to the original since it's the one I fell in love with back in the days where available music was a finite commodity.  This of course having been ingested and imbued through subjective experience; not sure but I believe this is the part of the response where I type "YMMV": YMMV.

The thing I like most about the Zomba version is the "War" flute sample in Summer Crane & Extra Kings.  Can't listen to the original versions of those songs anymore.

hopefully we get the original version of frontier psychiatrist on here at least.

as good as zomba is, i think it's safe to say that we'll never see the original versions of most of these trax officially released

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, realthanks said:

hopefully we get the original version of frontier psychiatrist on here at least.

as good as zomba is, i think it's safe to say that we'll never see the original versions of most of these trax officially released

Agree about frontier psychiatrist.

Also, the version of extra kings from that old documentary has some extra vocal samples that sound amazing:

On 4/11/2021 at 4:50 PM, randomsummer said:

Agree about frontier psychiatrist.

Also, the version of extra kings from that old documentary has some extra vocal samples that sound amazing:

holy crap, thanks for sharing this video! i loved this - so insightful and it's actually the first time i've seen the band's personalities beyond the same photos that everyone has already seen. great stuff

I'm still very fond of that turn-of-the-millennium time when a subsection of the then rock-rooted Australian music scene was dipping into electronic & urban a bit more. Things like Friendly (big beat), Josh Abrahams (D'n'B), B(if)tek (techno), Gerling (indietronica). Regurgitator were also a bit synthy rap-rocky at times. 1200 Techniques and Koolism had some funky hiphop. Along with The Avalanches, all these acts were quite eclectic and exciting. It only really poked into the mainstream for a few years before slipping underground again, lasted about as long as big beat. Sort of like 90s indie/alternative meeting urban electro. Avalanches did a remix for Gerling in 1999 and pre-SILY Gerling called the Avalanches the best band ever.