IGNORED

PDP III - Huerco S & Lucy Railton - Pilled Up On A Couple Of Doves

fumi

I'm a bit too old now to be getting Pilled Up so this is probably the closest I can get.

I'm guessing this is out tomorrow.

cover.jpeg

Swooping from vertiginous ambient designs to a head-wobbling 20 minute tract of abstract, gong-like noise, the results of those sessions have been marinaded and assembled by Powell who looked to transcend porous borders between neo-ambient noise, free-jazz and avant-garde interzones with an intuitive logic designed to lead listeners to deeply liminal spaces. 

Something of a vanity project - basically Powell inviting two exceptional artists to record parts for him to make something out of - the result can be best described in terms of its physical presence and gauzy flux of emotions, climaxing on a 20 minute masterstroke of dematerialised but body-gurning gong reverberations in the incredible ’49 Days’.

At the outset of these sessions Powell presented a series of compositional sketches anchored around multi-tracked electronics and acoustic percussion. These concepts were then used as the framework for collective improvisation, with the musicians working on instinct and layering as many as eight separate takes across a track. A portion of the record also reflects moments that are purely spontaneous – in-the-moment invention with Railton on electronics and cello and Powell and Leeds working on laptop computers. The composition process involved little in the way of overt instruction, instead favoring discussion on more abstract notions of feel and energy.”

https://boomkat.com/products/pilled-up-on-a-couple-of-doves

• Like 1

i don't know if an album of powell working with other artists material in their style needs to exist.

as much as i do enjoy this type of ambient it can get tiring. the output from west mineral and experiences ltd is all i need. but - that latest picnic album was really good.

• Like 1

I enjoy Huerco S, will need to take a little listen to this... wish I had some doves myself for the parties after COVID ?

Gotta say this really did nothing for me whatsoever after 2 listens. Gonna give it more of a chance to reveal its subtleties, but it just sounded like paulstretched field recordings.