purlieu

Cheers! Yeah, some of them are more fun to write than the others (some of the early 12"s were a bit grim to listen to on repeat, and these three hour shows can be a slog!) but on the whole I'm quite enjoying it. It's also going to be a chance for me to put the recent stuff in some context when I get to it, because I've been so overwhelmed by their material for the past few years that there are some releases I've barely listened to.

• Like 3

Essential Mix '94 feat. Robert Fripp

Astonishingly prescient quote from Garry Cobain in 1994: “These things are going to rule in the future, though. They’ll completely blank out record companies. We can just advertise our music on the Internet, which has a million subscribers and send it straight to them.”

• Like 1

Not sure when the next entry is coming. Honestly, writing an article about Lifeforms is actually intimidating. It's been my favourite work of art of any kind for as long as I can remember, I don't know where to start.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 11:43 AM, purlieu said:

Better late than never, here's the Cascade track-by-track...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Shortform

I’m steadily making my way through these when I can and am reading every piece. I’m definitely learning some great trivia and have enjoyed going back and listening to tracks again after reading about them. 

Cascade was utterly amazing when it came out, I’d never heard anything like it. I remember chatting with a couple of friends about how excited we were for Lifeforms, it seemed like a huge wait for that. I’m still blown away by the CD single even now, it swaps places as my favourite with My Kingdom on a regular basis

• Like 2

I wish I'd been around then, I didn't get into them until My Kingdom, would have been amazing to wait for Lifeforms on its release. Although the way they kept putting it back and back must have been a pain.

Wait, they're still doing that to this day. That new Amorphous album was originally due before Christmas 2016 and it's not even finished.

• 2 weeks later...

Onto the track-by-tracks finally!

Disc 1
Cascade
Ill Flower
Flak
Bird Wings
Dead Skin Cells
Lifeforms
Eggshell
Among Myselves

One thing that I think has slowed me down is doing all the Kiss FM shows and ISDN transmissions which have so much Lifeforms material that I'm slowly feeling worn out by this stuff! Not much to go now though and it's onto the ISDN era and then Dead Cities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2