IGNORED

Squarepusher - Feed Me Weird Things (Remastered)

ARPA

I'd never call myself the biggest Squarepusher fan, I find a lot the later albums "A little saucy. A little too saucy." But... this album is amazing. glad I didn't leave it too late to pick up a copy. My original copy is totally mooked and unplayable. 

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 1

played through the remaster. it sounds great and i honestly had forgotten how tight of an album this is. really fucking good. north circular remains a highlight. Definitely a career peak with go plastic. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atypic said:

What are thoughts on the quality/value of the remaster compared to the original master?

"Theme from Ernest Borgnine" is an eternal jam. I caned the hell out of it in '99 when I finally got the CD and plenty of times since so it's my best reference audio. This re-release of Ernie is much more rumbly to me. It was always an "unruly" track from an EQ perspective anyway due to the kick of the drum break running wide open in a pretty wet reverb. It feels like the old Goldwave days when you could apply "Bass Boost" with a value of +1 to +4 to the entire .wav ? 

"Deep Fried Pizza" is waaaay bass boosted to me but, in fairness and full disclosure, that was a 192 kbps .mp3 FTP snag in 2000 or so for me. Wasn't it vinyl only too? Imagine the signal chain back then lol: Dad's turntable-->SoundBlaster stock soundcard-->buggy encoder. In some ways, I'm definitely hearing the track for the first time.  

I regard Tom as a musical genius and do not mean to shit on this redux as I have enough problems mastering my own music and making it sound good. I consider my monitors (Fostex PMO.4n) to be neutral and not very bass responsive so others will need to weigh in. Sadly, I don't have any of the original .flacs and my disc was stolen in 2003 so I can't A/B anything. I'm just happy to have this album back. It's a masterpiece and the placebo of 24-bit .wav really enhances my listening experience. Bahaha 24-bit .wav on 42 year old war-torn cochleas yeah right ?  

I dug out my old highest bitrate .wma's ripped from the original disc and compared Tundra and Smedley.  I'm a novice, but the remaster to me sounded cleaner, more instrument separation, and yeah levels boosted.