IGNORED

aLTeRNaTe tracklistings for Ae albums

splesh

I brought up this thought in the dedicAtEd thread for Untilted but I think it is an interesting enough idea generally speaking. Here's the alternate order I came up with for their 2005 offering, Fermium is not removed because I dislike the song but because it feels like the odd one out. This is just my first attempt at this and I don't think I have a better sequence than S and R (fucking love this album the way it is as it is), but it is fun to try rejigger things a bit and see if there are some nice ways of changing the sequencing, just for fun

1. LCC
2. The Trees
3. Augmatic Disport
4. Ipacial Section
5. Iera
6. Pro Radii
7. Sublimit

Here's what auxien said about this new order/removing Fermium:

"hm, not sure about Fermium on its own, feels naked like that. but it is a little bit of an odd one out on the album perhaps, so i see the case there. 

random thoughts listening to this tracklisting:

• LCC as opener and Sublimit as closer is necessary, good work on not trying to fuck with that
  • not sure about The Trees as track 2, feels a little too close in shape to LCC
  • Ipacial into Iera is fucking great
  • Iera into Pro Radii works pretty well
  • Pro Radii into Sublimit works pretty well too

overall not as offensive as i'd expected trying to tweak what's pretty close to a perfect album. may see about doing an alternate tracklist of my own"

Edited by splesh
  • Like 1

does not taking out any tracks and making a different order with 2 albums count? If so

+ (combination of PLUS and SIGN)

Disc 1

1. M4 Lema
  2. 7FM ic
  3. ii.pre esc
  4. sch.mefd 2
  5. ecol4
  6. lux 106 mod
  7. marhide
  8. DekDre Scap B
  9. esle 0
  10. TM1 open

Disc 2

1. F7
  2. th red a
  3. si00
  4. au14
  5. gr4
  6. psin AM
  7. Metaz form8
  8. esc desc
  9. X4
  10. r cazt
  11. n Cur (its too good to be left out imo)
Edited by X4creek
  • Like 4

I think yours counts since they're twin albums, but new tracklistings which would feature songs from different albums from different times in their career would be, to use one of my favourite idioms, a whole different kettle of fish. And I think it'd merit its own thread.

Alternate tracklist for Chiastic Slide:
1. Cipater
2. Cichli
3. Pule
4. Rettic Ac
5. Hub
6. Recury
7. Calbruc
8. Tewe
9. Nuane

Methinks bookending tracks may have a tendency to stay put in this game (largely due to the lads' love of fadeins).

Draft 7.30:
1. Xylin Room
2. Surripere
3. IV VV IV VV VIII
4. Tapr
5. V-Proc
6. VL AL 5
7. 6ie.cr
8. Theme of Sudden Roundabout
9. Reniform Puls
10. P:NTIL

Edited by splesh
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, splesh said:

1. Cipater
2. Cichli
3. Pule
4. Rettic Ac
5. Hub
6. Recury
7. Calbruc
8. Tewe
9. Nuane

Draft 7.30:
1. Xylin Room
2. Surripere
3. IV VV IV VV VIII
4. Tapr
5. V-Proc
6. VL AL 5
7. 6ie.cr
8. Theme of Sudden Roundabout
9. Reniform Puls
10. P:NTIL

Chiastic Slide is for me one of the examples of a perfect track order in their discography.  Each track is such a contained world, often with intro and outro, so jumping to a new vibe on the next track (as it is in the original tracklist) works really well there.  And thus, cipater>cichli are too similar to be right next to each other in yours for my taste.

Your Alt Draft kinda works for me, in particular those first 3 tracks worked better than I had expected.

• Like 2

X4creek:
On your first disc, I think I might switch the places of TM1 open and esle 0. ii.pre esc immediately after 7FM ic is a bit of a loss of momentum to my ears. I do quite like sch.mefd 2 into ecol4. marhide right after lux 106 mod feels like it makes a lot of sense. On your second disc, I really like F7 as an opening number, and the flow throughout is great. Find it interesting (but perhaps trivial?) that your first disc is almost a reordering of PLUS alone and the second, almost one for SIGN. si00 into au14 and esc desc into r cazt are particular highlights.

6 hours ago, splesh said:

1. LCC
2. The Trees
3. Augmatic Disport
4. Ipacial Section
5. Iera
6. Pro Radii
7. Sublimit

The Tress second, after LCC?! that doesn't make sense to me whatsoever! firstly, the tress feels like a closer to me but it's not, obviously, for a reason. that last half of the track sound like a resolution, cleaning... settling down, but only for Sublimit. the last 3 tracks are like a unit of 3 attempts of the same idea, Fermium and The Tress went their own ways which are very interesting and unexpected but allowed and only with Sublimit the goal was achieved, and the target is in the last 3-4 minutes of Sublimit which ends with the found resolution; perfect ending for the album imo that starts bold and continues banging through the first half of it. Iera questions the narrative with its off beat rhythms and weird melodies and proposes a new way somewhere right at the middle of it making it possible for the last 3 tracks to come, to attempt... to find the right path. Album starts with perfect questions, dissects those questions in the middle, proposes new ways and successfully finds the right answers!

''A perfect album! Its structural perfection is matched only by its perfect cover.'' 

- Ash, the ''I'm still collating'' android 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, splesh said:

X4creek:
On your first disc, I think I might switch the places of TM1 open and esle 0.

idk I just think TM1 open is a great closer that I didn't switch its placement (and also its transition to F7 is really good)

ii.pre esc immediately after 7FM ic is a bit of a loss of momentum to my ears.

I can see where you're coming from but it makes a lot of sense for me I think because I find ii.pre esc to be emotionally impactful

Find it interesting (but perhaps trivial?) that your first disc is almost a reordering of PLUS alone and the second, almost one for SIGN.

yeah that was the point. honestly I find myself listening to this tracklist more than the separate albums I really love its pacing

esc desc into r cazt

i think you meant X4 but I just checked and that does work quite well actually

• Like 2

Incunabula:

1. Eggshell
  2. Windwind
  3. Autriche
  4. Kalpol Introl
  5. Bike
  6. Doctrine
  7. Crystel
  8. Basscadet
  9. Maetl
  10. Bronchus 2
  11. 444

Lowride is replaced with Crystel from the AI comp because Lowride sucks. Kalpol and Bike are still together but not at the start. 444 stays as a closer.

LP5/Cichlisuite:

1. Rae
  2. Characi
  3. Yeesland
  4. Fold4, Wrap5
  5. Krib
  6. Acroyear2
  7. Under BOAC
  8. Pencha
  9. 777
  10. Arch Carrier
  11. Vose In
  12. Corc
  13. Tilapia
  14. John Callaghan - Phylactery

Melve and Caliper Remote not included. instead of closing with Drane2, we follow Tilapia with John Callaghan's cover version of Tilapia because it's lovely:

remember when there used to be loads of threads like these? bring back ae fanboy threads ?

• Like 1

^all for more of this thread, seems fun ? but...Cichlisuite is great as it is! there are some tonal similarities to LP5 but they just feel too different for me, personally.

that said, i could almost see LP5 stuff working with some of the EP7 tracks maybe. they feel a lot closer, at least in some ways. 

there might've been a Quaristice/Quadrange/Versions thread for alt tracklists? if not there's surely some discussion in the Quaristice thread probably about combining those tracks all together into different album cuts, i remember posting an alt tracklist of mine at some point

Incunabula EP: 

Kalpol Introl
Bike
Eggshell
Doctrine

Amber EP:

Montreal
Glitch
Piezo
Nine
Yulquen
Nil

Tri Repetae, no change

Chiastic Slide, no change

LP5, remove Melve, otherwise no change

EP7 is perfect

So is Confield

Draft also

Untilted, ditto (yall are crazy lol)

Quaristice - gotta think about this, still inclined to think it's just fine the way it is tho, may mess around with some of the alternate versions

Oversteps, no change, flows beautifully

Exai  - same but remove irlite (get 0), that track is unsalvageable, totally fucks up the flow of the album right at the beginning. One of their worst tracks ever imo

Elseq and NTS always go on shuffle idk

SIGN, no change

PLUS, remove ii pre-esc

Maybe a lack of imagination here, but I think they do a masterful job of track sequencing on their albums

Edited by toaoaoad

It's not about having a better idea for sequencing than Sean and Rob, it's about other permutations which are still enjoyable

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dragon said:

Lowride is replaced with Crystel from the AI comp because Lowride sucks.

Repent now

22 hours ago, Dragon said:

Melve and Caliper Remote not included. instead of closing with Drane2, we follow Tilapia with John Callaghan's cover version of Tilapia because it's lovely:

959.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

PLUS, remove ii pre-esc

btw I take this back,  was out walking listening to PLUS again last night, it's actually a great piece, the tune itself, but to me it's just kinda overkill on certain high frequencies. I could do without the "laser sounds" haha, and the "esc" pads are prob my least favourite of the SIGN palette, tho still quite fascinating in their design. Could end up being a Known(1) type situation where the most "annoying" track becomes a highlight. PLUS is kinda enigmatic. 

8 hours ago, splesh said:

It's not about having a better idea for sequencing than Sean and Rob, it's about other permutations which are still enjoyable

That's legit. Kinda the ultimate DJ challenge lol.  I mean I could come up with lots of sweet playlists combining different album tracks. But this is way more limited. Best I could do was take things out lol

On 4/26/2021 at 6:43 PM, toaoaoad said:

Exai  -  remove irlite (get 0), that track is unsalvageable, totally fucks up the flow of the album right at the beginning. One of their worst tracks ever imo

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 4/27/2021 at 1:43 AM, toaoaoad said:

Exai  - same but remove irlite (get 0), that track is unsalvageable, totally fucks up the flow of the album right at the beginning. One of their worst tracks ever imo

it's like removing 2001 ASO from Kubrick's filmography because it's his least dense film in meanings

21 minutes ago, Draft78 said:

I have an obsession with 2001 started hard 37 years ago (i mean "AE35unit" is not by chance)

That’s fine but I wasn’t referring to your obsession with the movie but to what you said about the movie, that it’s the least dense in meaning out of all Kubrick’s movies and wouldn’t agree with you. Soorraay!

18 minutes ago, xox said:

That’s fine but I wasn’t referring to your obsession with the movie but to what you said about the movie, that it’s the least dense in meaning out of all Kubrick’s movies and wouldn’t agree with you. Soorraay!

nah, i mean "take off irlite from exai because it's a flat song is like to say ..." :cisfor:

i remember when i was walking past a bunch of youths singing "Get Lucky" but with piss take lyrics, giggling as they chanted "i'm up all night to get NONE / we're up all night to get NONE" and it hit me because at the time i had irlite (get 0) playing in my earphones.

so fuck that track.

• Haha 2

On 4/25/2021 at 2:31 AM, splesh said:

1. Cipater
2. Cichli
3. Pule
4. Rettic Ac
5. Hub
6. Recury
7. Calbruc
8. Tewe
9. Nuane

The segue from Pule to Nuane is one of the best in their whole discography IMO, would be a shame to break that up.

• Like 2