IGNORED

Burial + Blackdown — Shock Power of Love EP

jules

Happy Holidays all

As the scene's keenest scribe-cum-producer, Blackdown's blog and Keysound label were at the core of the genre’s early sound, placing him in proximity to key players including Burial. Like we mentioned, Burial’s remix of ‘Crackle Blues’ in 2006 was, just like his debut 12”, sorely overlooked at the time, and remains one of his tightest and most effective garagey/woodblock productions.

On the ’Shock Power Of Love’ EP they check in 15 years later for a 2-step pow wow, passing the peace-pipe over cuts of Detroit-inspired garage and deep-fried, crispy London soul music. Blackdown gives clear nods to his 313 inspiration on both sides, framing his restless subs and garage swing with sampled, house declarations and soaring pads in ‘The Journey VIP’ while nodding to Juan Atkins and Red Planet via Geeneus in a remix of Heatmap’s ‘Arklight.’ Burial is at his signature best on the other two, frothing choral vocals into a scissored 2-step shuffle on ‘Dark Gethsemane’ before rolling out fathoms deep into the iridescent trance leads and scalp-stroking Reese bass licks of ’Space Cadet.’

https://boomkat.com/products/shock-power-of-love-ep

https://burial.bandcamp.com/album/shock-power-of-love-ep

Edited by jules
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nice suprise to wake up to! Only had 1 listen but very much enjoyed it so far

Blackdown is worth checking out I enjoyed his Those moments album a few years back is that "weightless " ambient grime sound. Also been enjoying his recent Rollage series of dark 130 bpm rollers! 

• Like 1

Not sure but bet he shifts some units tbf and although no new album he has still pretty consistently released stuff..bet he does better than most other artists we discuss on here tbh! 

Though guess the fact he never plays out will affect his music income

Edited by kirm

1 hour ago, Wunderbar said:

Do you guys think this music thing is a full time job for burial?

i wonder if he is able to pay his bills with these scares release.

He works full time as an undertaker.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wunderbar said:

Do you guys think this music thing is a full time job for burial?

i wonder if he is able to pay his bills with these scares release.

Not only pay the bill but keep Hyperdub afloat in the process.

Shifts plenty of units but it's sync for tv and film where the money comes in.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kirm said:

Nah don't so. Reckon it's just that funeral director happens to have same name though is pretty funny coincidence

Was only joking ? but yeah I've seen that same thing

• Like 1

I really love the first half of Dark Gethsemane. Spooky Burial is the best Burial, that vocal sample is dope, anyone know it? Sounds like something out of an old Giallo film or something.

The rest is ok, don't like the second half of the aforementioned track much and the other tracks are decent but nothing to write home about.

Love the old school nod with the loon sample in Dark Gethsemane, but the song is longer than it needs to be (often the case with Burial imo). I am enjoying Space Cadet a bunch, and I'll keep my ear out (instead of eye open I guess) for Blackdown

• 3 weeks later...

Just logged in to say how shite this is - and the other burial slow 6 month release shite .. ... there - I feel better now. I leave you to your meme wanking over each other.

• Big Brain 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:34 AM, thumbass said:

Really nice Ep, Blackdown's tracks sound great and Burial sounds like Burial (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing)

I hope he collaborates more in the future, there seems to be a good dynamic of his own tracks seeming more fleshed out and focused this way

• Like 1