IGNORED

Lunatic Harness 2 ???

Hugh Mughnus

24 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

+1!

Wot?

21 minutes ago, dcom said:

Furthur Electronix.

If I had to guess the FE release will be the two housewerk EPs released recently (notes on the second release said ep1+2=lp or something to that effect).

the rest all appear to be new goodies 

1 hour ago, MIXL2 said:

Always wondered what he used to make the original.. info is probs on some interview somewhere I just never bothered to look..

About 20 years ago I was obsessed with getting everything he had. The tango re-release got me more excited about gear than I had been before (the vague gear list) and I started hunting down what were my favorite tones of his. Immediately I realized the dx-11 was my favorite keyboard, and definitely the one I liked in his early tracks. The only thing I was never able to obtain was a Casio fz-1. But I did eventually get an emax because of my obsession with faith no more, so between that and all my other samplers it would have been overkill to get the Casio. I still dream about owning one tho, underworld used one too I think. 

So- for lunatic harness what I remember reading was that he really only updated his computer and got the original nord lead (IMO warmer sounding than the 2). Although it seems like maybe he got another sampler as well, because you don’t hear the Casio 12 bit sound, or filter. I thought in a video he said he moved on from the Atari 1040st and got a Mac around that time. 

Yamaha dx-11, Roland d-50, alesis hr 16(b- I think), Nord Lead 1, upgrade of some type of sampler and fx? He was using cubeat or something like that in the Atari 1040st before, maybe cubase as well, so software-wise, idk. He seems to often express his frustration with tech and having to upgrade all the time, which I sympathize with for sure, longing for using his Atari and midi only. I doubt he’s still using the boss delay pedal or art Ltx for reverb, because it sounds higher quality at that time (not as good IMO). Although that could have been because it was recorded on tape before?

It’s funny, I was in a used music shop once and I was talking to the guy behind the counter about the tx modules and fm things that mirrored dxs. He told me (without my saying anything about idm) that his friend was trying to collect all the gear that “some guy called mu-zeek that’s friends with aphex twin” used. I thought it was quite the coincidence!

I eventually started caring more about what equipment orbital and skinny puppy used, and various death metal pedalboards. But Mike paradinas was definitely my gateway drug into “getting gear your heroes use.” Some of my friends think it’s not important, and just want whatever cool new thing comes out, but I just want the ingredients in my favorite recipes.

Edited by Himelstein
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, thumbass said:

Fuck yeah lunatic harness is ziqs best album imo. Always love his jungle/dnb/breakcorey works

Yeah I’m seriously hyped for that one. That’s one of my fav releases of all time by any artist period. I’m picturing classic ziq melodies ala chewed corners but nice and breaky heh

• Like 2

21 hours ago, thumbass said:

Fuck yeah lunatic harness is ziqs best album imo. Always love his jungle/dnb/breakcorey works

Tango all the way. But eh, I'd be delighted with something as timeless as Lunatic Harness or Brace Yourself EP.

• Like 4

On 5/1/2021 at 6:16 PM, MIXL2 said:

Always wondered what he used to make the original.. info is probs on some interview somewhere I just never bothered to look..

Apart from the above mentioned, I'm sure I read in an interview that he started using an EM-U ESi 4000 sampler https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/emu-esi4000 it certainly sounds like some of its filters are in use on Lunatic Harness.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MDF said:

Apart from the above mentioned, I'm sure I read in an interview that he started using an EM-U ESi 4000 sampler https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/emu-esi4000 it certainly sounds like some of its filters are in use on Lunatic Harness.

Yeah I forgot, I also saw something about an emu and an ASR once, but wasn’t sure if it was actually true. If it was in an article tho, I’m sure he probably used one. It makes sense to bounce around with samplers trying to find the perfect one. They all have such a varying amount of terribleness while still having such a diversity in the things we like. I love the way  the mirage sounds, but wouldn’t want the headache. Originally I was kinda annoyed by the akai s2000. But that was 20 years ago- after bouncing around and trying different ones (specifically poly/chromatic ones) it’s probably my favorite. So I bet he did the same. Although I wonder if he still uses the Casio at all

On 5/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, MIXL2 said:

I'm convinced he used a Roland R8 on at least some of the album.  The whistle in Blainville is definitely the same as one of the R8 samples.

Gear used on Lunatic Harness:

• Sequencer: Atari 1040ST using emagic cubeat software
  • Mixer: Fostex 280 4-track recorder & Soundcraft Spirit Folio 10+2 mini-desk.
  • Yamaha DX11 synth
  • Roland D-50 synth
  • Alesis HR16 drum machine
  • Yamaha RY30 Drum machine
  • Casio FZ-1 sampler. 
  • Boss delay pedal
  • ART Multiverb LTX

- - -

That's it. One of the b-sides was a later track and used the EMU ESI-32 (Jiggery Panky or the other one)

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, Bambi said:

It's already been released on a compilation

https://musicinsupportofblackmentalhealth.bandcamp.com/releases

Wow! Thank you - I have no idea how I missed that one. 

I’m usually on top of these things. ? 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

From FB today...

"I've been writing a sort of follow up to Lunatic Harness called Magic Pony Ride..."

Plus Cover Art  for Deluxe 25th Anniversary Vinyl Release (and I'm assuming 2xCD) of Lunatic Harness and Accompanying EPs (squint for bonus tracks...)
May be an image of text
Edited by hayhook
  • Like 6