IGNORED

Skee Mask - Pool

eye

Kudos to him for having the courage to take a stand and keep his new music off streaming services. I think his other comments explain why I'm not liking this one as much as his previous work though:

A lot of the tracks on the album are basically 70% from one analog jam, with the other 30% being stuff I added on later. I wanted it to have an analog jam kind of feel, and even the title, Pool, is meant to play with that idea. The LP is a sort of pool where I’ve just thrown in all of these different tracks, but if you spell pool backwards, you get “loop,” and a lot of songs on the album are based on these simple, 16-bar loops that just keep repeating over and over.

2 hours ago, kuniklo said:

Kudos to him for having the courage to take a stand and keep his new music off streaming services. I think his other comments explain why I'm not liking this one as much as his previous work though:

That explains a lot.

It’s no Compro but I’m still liking this album quite a bit!

Ive listened to it on bandcamp and i wanted to like it enough to buy the record but I didn’t. I don’t mind the price but ill pass on this one 

Spoiler

Everything is nice and polished and pro sounding and ‘how things should be’, but nothing stands out, artistically and emotionally. It’s just too ‘normal’, polite, samey and expected. Not a single track that I could say sound unique imo …maybe i just need to hear it several more times but I doubt bc it’s not that kind of music, but I could be wrong. 

In many regards it’s a superb album and apparently a lot of ppl like it and for good reasons! He deserves it! 

p.s. yes, he’ll earn a lot of money with this one

Edited by xox

As is often the case with Skee Mask, he has a lot of great tunes but I don't necessarily find the album as consistent throughout as some of his EPs but even then I often like his songs more than the particular collections and their orders. Will check out this Watching Airplanes act, though

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cobra said:

they’re just letting the streaming services do all the work when it comes to finding new music. If something isn’t on those platforms, they just don’t know about it. And this is something I’ve seen even with friends who used to dig for music and find stuff on their own. These predictive algorithms, sometimes they can be quite nice and introduce you to good artists, but other times they’re just… not

this doesn’t get talked about as much i think, it’s a very important point re: streaming

• Like 2

Even YouTube, because that’s not streaming for me. With YouTube, you can't hit play on your phone and leave it running in your pocket.

Isn't that the whole point with YouTube Premium Music? 

Edited by psn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, psn said:

Isn't that the whole point with YouTube Premium (plus ad free)? 

Maybe, but he's right about how much these streaming services rip off artists and change music discovery often for the worse, and there's also the environmental impact. Yes, many things harm the environment pretty drastically, some more than others, but if streaming audio and video could be reduced, it would surely be a boon.

4 minutes ago, splesh said:

Maybe, but he's right about how much these streaming services rip off artists and change music discovery often for the worse, and there's also the environmental impact. Yes, many things harm the environment pretty drastically, some more than others, but if streaming audio and video could be reduced, it would surely be a boon.

as opposed to flooding the world with vinyl and plastic CDs..... ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dr lopez said:

as opposed to flooding the world with vinyl and plastic CDs..... ?

Well, yes, that's a fair point, but how about moving to simply downloading, then? 'twould have neither the harm done by the streaming nor the waste of vinyl, CDs, and tapes.

20 minutes ago, splesh said:

if streaming audio and video could be reduced, it would surely be a boon.

What do you mean “the environmental impact”? Can you explain this to me pls

1 minute ago, xox said:

What do you mean “the environmental impact”? Can you explain this to me pls

The amount of emissions from data centres, along with the manufacturing of more computers, routers, cell phones, tablets, and all the other internet technology, not to mention the mining of the supplies for the building of these things, and the growing numbers of devices connecting.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, splesh said:

The amount of emissions from data centres, along with the manufacturing of more computers, routers, cell phones, tablets, and all the other internet technology, not to mention the mining of the supplies for the building of these things, and the growing numbers of devices connecting.

Oh that! I thought i was missing something… imo you’re worrying too much ?

29 minutes ago, jules said:

I haven't properly checked out Pool yet – but damn, the Watching Airplanes album is really hitting the spot...

Only one copy left on Bandcamp...?

• Like 1

I understand where he's coming from re: streaming platforms. It is a real shame the business model for these platforms don't adequately compensate artists. And it's a shame they're so useful for music discovery (reliance on the algorithm or via self-guided off-platform discovery), play-listing, sharing, etc. that many of us can't stop using it. I love having files, too, but I run out of space and iTunes is just shit compared to the usability of Spotify. Still, I use both. ANYWAY. I should give this album a stream on Bandcamp and decide it I wanna buy it. And speaking of Bandcamp. I really like it, and buy stuff from there frequently. It's good for sampling tracks, without interrupting what I might be listening to on Spotify. But the platform overall is pretty poor UX.

• Like 4

Gave this a run through today - it sounds more like a nice collection of tracks than a proper follow-up to Compro. But damn does it sound super warm and lush af. His atmosphere is always so damn good.