IGNORED

Skee Mask - Pool

eye

15 hours ago, sidewinder said:

I understand where he's coming from re: streaming platforms. It is a real shame the business model for these platforms don't adequately compensate artists. And it's a shame they're so useful for music discovery (reliance on the algorithm or via self-guided off-platform discovery), play-listing, sharing, etc. that many of us can't stop using it. I love having files, too, but I run out of space and iTunes is just shit compared to the usability of Spotify. Still, I use both. ANYWAY. I should give this album a stream on Bandcamp and decide it I wanna buy it. And speaking of Bandcamp. I really like it, and buy stuff from there frequently. It's good for sampling tracks, without interrupting what I might be listening to on Spotify. But the platform overall is pretty poor UX.

I’m a massive fan of the Spotify platform, and that’s the reason for rarely using BC. I like all my eggs in one basket. So I have Spotify and my physical collection and nothing else. Maybe have brand new albums released there (Spotify) but you have to pay proper money like £8 to access them like you have to do on Bandcamp. Then everyone is a winner. If you think about older albums, say for example Sound of Silver, Mr Murphy is getting paid twice because I originally bought the cd but now mostly play it on Spotify. So with a situation like that it actually pays for him to have his back catalogue on Spotify, but why should he put a brand new album up there.  Sorry if this post is a bit clunky, I’m not good at conveying technical stuff.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, beerwolf said:

I’m a massive fan of the Spotify platform, and that’s the reason for rarely using BC. I like all my eggs in one basket. So I have Spotify and my physical collection and nothing else. Maybe have brand new albums released there (Spotify) but you have to pay proper money like £8 to access them like you have to do on Bandcamp. Then everyone is a winner. If you think about older albums, say for example Sound of Silver, Mr Murphy is getting paid twice because I originally bought the cd but now mostly play it on Spotify. So with a situation like that it actually pays for him to have his back catalogue on Spotify, but why should he put a brand new album up there.  Sorry if this post is a bit clunky, I’m not good at conveying technical stuff.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Like streaming movies – pay a certain price when it's first released, then you can rent it. So translated to music streaming, maybe you pay extra if you want to hear it the first month, after that it's available as part of your subscription. I'd totally be into that, for things I'm interested in but perhaps not fully committed to enough for a full-price download or physical purchase. Assuming of course that the cost is fair for a "rental".

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, eye said:

Love his new BBC Essential Mix: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vz7m

Impressive track list.  Will have to give a listen later.

I've probably gone through Pool 3-4 times now and I really enjoy it.  There is a lot to take in, but when it hits...it really hits.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

The essential mix is boss indeed.

QFT++.  Add mixology to the dude's list of talents, fantastic blending and pacing throughout.

Do these ever ooze out into the dark web?  The beeb's player had a good laugh at my weak attempts to capture the stream via offliberty, browser plugins, etc.  I also vaguely recall some artists have put up their essential mix to soundcloud after it's streaming run comes to a close. 

53 minutes ago, BobDobalina said:

QFT++.  Add mixology to the dude's list of talents, fantastic blending and pacing throughout.

Do these ever ooze out into the dark web?  The beeb's player had a good laugh at my weak attempts to capture the stream via offliberty, browser plugins, etc.  I also vaguely recall some artists have put up their essential mix to soundcloud after it's streaming run comes to a close. 

Yeah...I’d love an HQ download of this. One can dream.

On 5/25/2021 at 1:00 PM, species8472 said:

lot of knee jerk reactions to this album. everybody wanted the hottest take.

i have let it sink in and spent some time with it and have decided that - it is fantastic. 

We didn’t want the hottest take we were just sharing our initial thoughts. 

After 3 or 4 listens through what were my initial thoughts have stayed relatively the same. Some really great moments, but not a particularly sharp “album”, esp in comparison to his last one. It’s been to fun to listen to while crushing the ai on deity level in civ 6. 

5 hours ago, dr lopez said:

We didn’t want the hottest take we were just sharing our initial thoughts. 

this is fair. 

i kind of dig the sprawling unfocused nature of the album. just a giant blob of new material from a great producer. 

some of the highs on here are higher than the highs on compro. 

It seems to be all over soulseek but I'm guessing it's a rip of the BBC stream, Pete Tong pops up every now and again.

Crazy mix though, definitely one for playing loud. Bonus points for not one but two autechre tracks.

BTW if anyone was not keen on paying the €18 bandcamp price for Pool it's now up on bleep / boomkat etc for a much more reasonable £6.99.

i'm into this, it's really excellently done. but i definitely think it's missing the feels element that would take it to the next level. a bit cold overall imo.

tbh as i get older i seek feels more and more

good shit tho, for real.

• Like 3

tried to like this but feel like the highs aren't high enough for me. it's got loads of atmosphere but feels like tracks that were left over from other albums

First listen was good but with second and third ones I can say it's one of the albums of the year. Best producer at the moment in my opinion.