IGNORED

JIM O'ROURKE - Too Compliment

I gave it a listen a couple of days ago. It seems to be pretty much what you'd expect from the description: Jim in modular improv mode.

Its mindbending, tense, graceful with some fantastic textures. And like a lot of stuff on DDS it's creepy and eerie but with an undercurrent of toasted mellowness.

3 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for where to begin with this guy? I’ve always been curious about him but never heard his stuff. 

For starters

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Anyone have any recommendations for where to begin with this guy? I’ve always been curious about him but never heard his stuff. 

I like his electronic stuff quite a bit, "I'm Happy and I'm Singing and a 1, 2, 3, 4" is just great to me (which is not available on Spotify or Bandcamp ?)

Also this one (a collab with Kassel Jaeger) is just amazing: 

Edited by DeliKuvveti
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Simple Songs is a great album of his folky/rock songwriting stuff.

There's a great record out he did with Christian Fennesz on Editions Mego.

He's so goddamn prolific, it's hard to keep up/know where to start with O'Rourlke, but I echo all the suggestions above too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

this is pretty good, it starts off a bit more aggro and noisy than he recent stuff, but settles down into a similar more pleasing territory pretty quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Shutting Down Here (2020) is excellent. It's like a concise mix of his more accessible / pop / classical-flavored tropes, with more far out, explorative synthesis elements. Def one of my favorite electro-acoustic recordings. sleep like it's winter is also super- pleasant... in the vein of Steamroom 40