IGNORED

Climbing, Mountains, and Outdoorsy Thread

markedone

On 6/7/2021 at 6:41 PM, markedone said:

My proudest climbing accomplishments thus far:
-Climbing Mt Rainier last summer, via the standard (DC Route).  We had perfect weather which makes a huge difference on big gnarly peaks like Rainier.  Amazing to summit the mountain I grew up seeing in my backyard.  Want to try other routes this season

-Climbing and then circumnavigating the crater rim of Pico de Orizaba (Citlaltépetl) (5,636 m (18,491 ft).  This is the most difficult climb we've done, combining a bit of rope skills (a 20m rappel off the crux of the crater circumnavigation) and of course very high elevation.  We had to try multiple times to get the right snow conditions (snow was low and there was a lot of rockfall danger on our first attempt)

Upcoming objectives:

-Have an expedition to Bolivia Cordillera Real planned for next year.  Will be first 6000m peaks.  In the meantime climbing as much as possible in the pnw this summer.

dude you aren't kidding, those are impressive climbs and nice photos. you do any acclimatization climbs on these high peaks or you just bolt it to the top? these high climbs are whole different ball game in terms of logistics, planning and preparation than what i'm doing. knowledge and skill is also very important as is care for safety, and, as you said, you really must know what you're doing, and never half-ass your way forward. it could cost you your life.

i love mountains - been hiking and climbing since i was a kid, then been to alpine school where we learned knots and handling rope, done many rocky climbing/hiking, specially when i was in the army (draft program - mountain regiment). it's special, i love it, and the people too. i always meet the most interesting people when i'm in the mountains, people and the nature, these two things. that's why indoor climbing never got my interest.

i have recently (last 10 years), discovered off-track hiking / climbing, pathfinding with compass and a map. it brings so much enjoyment because i can feel like a first-time explorer, and it's really my thing. i "pitched" a bivouac in some strange places, but never in a extreme climate such as 5000+m altitude. the highest i've been is just a couple meters shy of 3000, but most of them range in 2000-2500. oh but they are beautiful. no wonder the Julian Alps inspired such a rich 100-year-old mountaineering culture. it's not so much about altitude with me as it's about going really off-"road" and finding beautiful stuff and passages / routes.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

dude you aren't kidding, those are impressive climbs and nice photos. you do any acclimatization climbs on these high peaks or you just bolt it to the top? these high climbs are whole different ball game in terms of logistics, planning and preparation than what i'm doing. knowledge and skill is also very important as is care for safety, and, as you said, you really must know what you're doing, and never half-ass your way forward. it could cost you your life.

i love mountains - been hiking and climbing since i was a kid, then been to alpine school where we learned knots and handling rope, done many rocky climbing/hiking, specially when i was in the army (draft program - mountain regiment). it's special, i love it, and the people too. i always meet the most interesting people when i'm in the mountains, people and the nature, these two things. that's why indoor climbing never got my interest.

i have recently (last 10 years), discovered off-track hiking / climbing, pathfinding with compass and a map. it brings so much enjoyment because i can feel like a first-time explorer, and it's really my thing. i "pitched" a bivouac in some strange places, but never in a extreme climate such as 5000+m altitude. the highest i've been is just a couple meters shy of 3000, but most of them range in 2000-2500. oh but they are beautiful. no wonder the Julian Alps inspired such a rich 100-year-old mountaineering culture. it's not so much about altitude with me as it's about going really off-"road" and finding beautiful stuff and passages / routes.

Thanks / and agree on the first paragraph, it was a multi year process of going on slightly higher objectives and a mix of formal classes, knowledge from peers, and lots of practice to get to those objectives; I don't want to make it seem like it came quick. (I also feel weird posting just the 'epic' or cool photos because they capture only a tiny pieces of what it is like to be on something much larger than you..  It does no justice to the planning, long slogs, sometimes suffering, as well as inherent dangers)

I agree with your point that elevation is important to take seriously in regards to how your body reacts, but it is also meaningless in terms of why we climb and what makes a worthy objective.  Rainier at 4300m is worlds more difficult/complex than Orizaba at 5600m.  It helped that living at elevation in Mexico, we could learn how our bodies reacted through experience.  For the 5000m stuff we planned it extensively (getting extra hydrated and avoiding alcohol in the days before), and did an acclimatization push the day before, or set up a high camp where we knew we could get good sleep.  Even with prep sometimes it didnt work out and I got some gnarly headaches and had to descend.

and YES the people I have met, and the nature, are the 'raison d'etre'.  I have been incredibly inspired by some older climbers who I learned from (in particular one of the climbing class instructors who is now 78 yrs old).  They have kept the passion, and also a base level of fitness so that they can keep enjoying it despite not going for the most difficult objectives.  Also the culture you mention is facinating, learning how they used to do things, etc

Edited by markedone
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, markedone said:

@zkomamazing landscapes.  did you get to stay in that earthen hut? or is it owned by someone?

It was publicly available for free, but it was about halfway of that day's walk so we just used it for a lunch break since it also had a stove inside. We left just when the next hiking group caught us up.

Finnish hiking trails have free public huts which me and my friends rarely use because usually you have to be there very early in the day to get a place to sleep and we tend to walk late into night because there is plenty of sunlight in the summer.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, markedone said:

dude is a legend.  i just read his book about Annapurna South Face last year and would recommend it.  He is super meticulous recounting the logistical aspects of the expedition, you can tell he is super expereienced to internalize all of those details 

epic landscape, i love those sculpted formations. would love to visit and do a backpacking trip along that ridgeline, though by the looks it would get pretty windy and cold up there..

Smith rock is a SUPER popular climbing destination, it has hundreds of routes on really high quality rock.  I've also only hiked around it, because I didnt climb last time I was there.  But I just bought the guidebook, since I have family down in Bend, and am itching to go climb there.  Did you see the monkey face spire? People climb up it and into the 'mouth' and on top of its head ?

smith-rock-bike-travel-oregon-f244707e25

Theres not much focus to the topic. It would be cool if people share pics of their hiking/biking/running trails as well!

And climbing gyms!  Given the popularity of climbing gyms these days, im sure some people can show off their local indoor spot.

Edit: I added Outdoorsy to the thread title to make it more open ended

There’s a well organised annual event called the 3 Peaks Challenge. You can do England, Wales & Scotland, or variations of all 3. C19 has put a dent in logistics, but they all offer extensive exploration 

https://www.threepeakschallenge.uk/

Croagh Patrick in Eire is tremendous, get a clear day & the views are wild

https://www.croagh-patrick.com/visitorcentre/holy-mountain