IGNORED

DJ Seinfeld - Mirrors

d-a-m-o

Swedish musician and producer Armand Jakobsson aka DJ Seinfeld has always stood out from his peers. With a special place in the so-called ‘lo-fi house’ scene now developing into something beyond the no-nonsense dance music he pioneered. 2017’s Time Spent Away From U popped with the complex emotive quality of a true club shaker, and Jakobsson’s long-awaited second LP Mirrors shows that he’s an individual carrying that sensitivity in spades.

There’s no doubt that Mirrors is another straight-up belter of a dance record loaded with state-of-the-art 2-step and garage upgrades, but a glance at this track-listing suggests that Seinfeld’s been feeling a particular kind of rave melancholia recently. Far from being the jubilant declaration of its title, ice-cold synths and rainy urban stroll drum programming shake ‘She Loves Me’ into a Burial-esque revery of love lost despite the good times. The gentle hardcore stabs of ‘Walking With Ur Smile’ and the vapour trail textures of ‘These Things Will Come’ have their sights on better days to come, even as their snipped, Four Tet-like diva vocals offer cadences of joy in the now.

Mirrors is precisely the kind of self-reflexive dance record we need to hear in 2021; a striking reminder that brighter days are on the horizon.

1721366577_Capturedecran2021-06-09a17_55_35.png.232c95265aa2bdf735f6866a261e4823.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
16 hours ago, cern said:

I Fucking love DJ Seinfeld! The best Oldschool "lofi" House producer atm in my opinion! 

With this release, we can say lo-fi is not a specific aspect in his sound anymore.

Edited by Jafs

I do have to bike in real quick and give a substantial deduction for the simulated voice mail in "These Things Will Come to Be". The cringe is intense enough but if it had concluded at "I wanted to say 'hi' so that's it...'hi'", I think I could have dealt with it. When she comes back with even more after the instrumental pause though...it's a big "bye" on that track for me. 

I love that bit! but my tolerance to that sort of shite is pretty high ?

Tbh when I first heard the album was worried it was a little to nice and inoffensive so do get people criticisms of it..but I fucking love it now & can't  stop listening!

Excited to hear the new ross from friends album as well, think both these guys are awesome & aren't really lofi or gimmicky at all anymore but still keep a little of that vibe from the lofi house thing...whatever you want to call it these 2 are making some of the most enjoyable music for me right now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirm said:

Excited to hear the new ross from friends album as well, think both these guys are awesome & aren't really lofi or gimmicky at all anymore but still keep a little of that vibe from the lofi house thing...whatever you want to call it these 2 are making some of the most enjoyable music for me right now

They're also competing for the most cringy artist name. Love Ross From Friends though and will check this one out

• 2 weeks later...