IGNORED

DJ Seinfeld - Mirrors

d-a-m-o

• 2 weeks later...

it’s like a rite of passage for a lot of these lofi artists to try to produce a “real” record or whatever and pretty much every time they do this it sucks. 

recently I was listening to glenn Astro’s “homespun” which is stated to be an attempt to sound “futuristic” and “current” and it’s so inferior to everything he’s done before - it sounds completely corrupted by popular notions of how electronic albums are “supposed to sound.”

I honestly don’t get this at all - what made all this shit interesting in the first place was the curious and interesting production methods that lead to beautiful textures and tones. cleaning up this sound is like polishing away all the interesting bits. 

I guess maybe they feel like they have something to prove production-wise, like hey I can be a real producer too or smth

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

it’s like a rite of passage for a lot of these lofi artists to try to produce a “real” record or whatever and pretty much every time they do this it sucks. 

recently I was listening to glenn Astro’s “homespun” which is stated to be an attempt to sound “futuristic” and “current” and it’s so inferior to everything he’s done before - it sounds completely corrupted by popular notions of how electronic albums are “supposed to sound.”

I honestly don’t get this at all - what made all this shit interesting in the first place was the curious and interesting production methods that lead to beautiful textures and tones. cleaning up this sound is like polishing away all the interesting bits. 

I guess maybe they feel like they have something to prove production-wise, like hey I can be a real producer too or smth

Good points. I have not listened to this new jerry seinfeld record BUT

I had that exact experience with Homespun.. I remembered loving Glenn Astro's early albums, so I excitedly put it on.  But it left me with an uncanny feeling, like it was checking boxes. My brain couldn't identify it as 'bad' per-se, but it was providing limited auditory-interest-stimulus.  There was at least one track I remember being quite good in the middle, but it was stranded in a sea of meh.

Edited by markedone

13 minutes ago, markedone said:

Good points. I have not listened to this new jerry seinfeld record BUT

I had that exact experience with Homespun.. I remembered loving Glenn Astro's early albums, so I excitedly put it on.  But it left me with an uncanny feeling, like it was checking boxes. My brain couldn't identify it as 'bad' per-se, but it was providing limited auditory-interest-stimulus.  There was at least one track I remember being quite good in the middle, but it was stranded in a sea of meh.

Yeah p much. Same thing with the new Baltra stuff - just so much more generic sounding. 

• Like 1